Prospect Info: 2021 Draft #9 - Dylan Guenther (RW)

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
I think it's a case of what's best for the player is also what's best for the team. And if he makes the roster, it will also be best for the fans.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
What do you Coyote fans think of Guenther in the preseason this far? 7 SOG and 1 assist last night. A fit to play 9 games and then assess where he's at after?

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
I feel like Guenther is being looked at as a golden goose that they really don't want to mess up. I think they'd rather just give a guy like Chiasson his spot and bring Guenther back next season

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
What do you Coyote fans think of Guenther in the preseason this far? 7 SOG and 1 assist last night. A fit to play 9 games and then assess where he's at after?
That's my thought. He didn't look out of place vs Vegas, just seems to need to get used to the tempo. I'd say he's ready based on just one game, but that's a foolish way to evaluate so I'd give him pre-season and the 9 to make sure.

Reactions: Our Lady Peace

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like Guenther is being looked at as a golden goose that they really don't want to mess up. I think they'd rather just give a guy like Chiasson his spot and bring Guenther back next season
That’s worse for him than keeping him here. He’s got nothing to gain from going back. This isn’t like Hayton. Guenther was already too good for the WHL. It will be laughable this season. What good is scoring over a goal per a game and over two points per game? He’s already been in that league for several years.

I don’t believe there are more than five better NHL forwards on the team than Guenther. Sending him down is a slap in the face.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Guenther should be up playing...he can get 14+ mins a night and gain valuable experience and it will then give the Coyotes room next year to bring Cooley straight in

You can't have all the rookies join the team at the same time, never works. Guenther stays this season and gets a year worth of experience, he will be in a better position next season when he's joined by Cooley & Fantilli.

rt

May 13, 2004
Guenther should be up playing...he can get 14+ mins a night and gain valuable experience and it will then give the Coyotes room next year to bring Cooley straight in

You can't have all the rookies join the team at the same time, never works. Guenther stays this season and gets a year worth of experience, he will be in a better position next season when he's joined by Cooley & Fantilli.
Same reason Jenik, Maccelli and Smith need to play a significant number of NHL games this season.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
What happens if, say 21 games in, you start to really see he doesn't have what it takes to make it to The NHL yet?

Do you eat the one year of the ELC and send him back to junior?

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
What happens if, say 21 games in, you start to really see he doesn't have what it takes to make it to The NHL yet?

Do you eat the one year of the ELC and send him back to junior?

Should be able to figure that out by game 9.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
the key is if he does stay to not stretch his 9 games out over months like they did with Hayton, which led to long stretches of Hayton not getting games in anywhere and then when he did play he was rusty and couldn’t accomplish anything.

I assume Tourigny is smart enough not to repeat that idiocy

rt

May 13, 2004
They start the season with six on the road and then four at home before a set of FOURTEEN straight road games. Which is absolutely insane.

Let’s see what happens on that first road trip and then that first home stand. He’s either ready to take on 14 consecutive NHL road games, or he’s ready to go back to Edmonton. The team should know before they take off for that marathon.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
He looked good last night. The Vegas announcers sure thought he will make the team. I'm still on the fence until his 9 game tryout..

@rt I don't think sending him back to Juniors is a slap in the face, but if they send him without giving him a 9 game NHL trial it would be.

I think there's also a chance he helps the tank....He might score points, but he might also give up more than he gets.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I also trust Tourigny to better manage Guenther than what we would have seen with Tocchet or Tippett.
That is an understatement! If need be give him protective minutes, but I think he will gel with Hayton.
the key is if he does stay to not stretch his 9 games out over months like they did with Hayton, which led to long stretches of Hayton not getting games in anywhere and then when he did play he was rusty and couldn’t accomplish anything.

I assume Tourigny is smart enough not to repeat that idiocy
Another understatement!

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I agree with him being too good for the WHL and I'd bet that even if he were to be "slower" out of the gate in the NHL this year, he's smart and competitive enough to eventually pick it up and have a solid 2nd half this year as a 19 year old.

I feel it would go something like 7G/7A in the first 40 games, and then 14G/14A in the next 40 games.

Reactions: Schemp

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd be shocked if he made it to opening night.

That's my thought. He didn't look out of place vs Vegas, just seems to need to get used to the tempo. I'd say he's ready based on just one game, but that's a foolish way to evaluate so I'd give him pre-season and the 9 to make sure.

That’s worse for him than keeping him here. He’s got nothing to gain from going back. This isn’t like Hayton. Guenther was already too good for the WHL. It will be laughable this season. What good is scoring over a goal per a game and over two points per game? He’s already been in that league for several years.

I don’t believe there are more than five better NHL forwards on the team than Guenther. Sending him down is a slap in the face.

Everyone is playing coach I see.:)

Reactions: LittlePipes

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I think Guenther will be sent down with a few players that should get NHL time. It's okay though, we've got Fischer!

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That would be very stupid.

If he goes back to junior, it won't be for a stupid reason. They've built this roster so that he doesn't have to stay here if they think he needs to be protected from the tank for another year. If he plays his way onto the roster and keeps playing well enough to stay, he'll stay.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
If he goes back to junior, it won't be for a stupid reason. They've built this roster so that he doesn't have to stay here if they think he needs to be protected from the tank for another year. If he plays his way onto the roster and keeps playing well enough to stay, he'll stay.
I’m not that confident. He’s got points in every pre-season game. And Christian Fischer is a lock to make the team. Doesn’t feel like a meritocracy to me. I honestly hate everything about Fischer’s game.

Reactions: Schemp

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm over Fischer as well. Doesn't particularly do any one thing well. Sick of keeping him around simply because he's a good room guy and friends with Keller, Matthews, etc.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad