Prospect Info: 2021 Draft #9 - Dylan Guenther (RW)

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I’m not that confident. He’s got points in every pre-season game. And Christian Fischer is a lock to make the team. Doesn’t feel like a meritocracy to me. I honestly hate everything about Fischer’s game.
That should be your new thing, to include Fischer in all your trade scenarios! Okay I'm kidding, I know you try to make fair and realistic scenarios.

That would be very stupid.
Isn't 1 of the reasons we brought in Tourigny was that he works well with transitioning prospects to the pros?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Guenther should be up playing...he can get 14+ mins a night and gain valuable experience and it will then give the Coyotes room next year to bring Cooley straight in

You can't have all the rookies join the team at the same time, never works. Guenther stays this season and gets a year worth of experience, he will be in a better position next season when he's joined by Cooley & Fantilli.
I think Guenther will get a look see to start the year, and his play in those games will dictate where he plays. I like you don't like to see too many rookies at the same time, but if he's not ready, he's not ready.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I’m not that confident. He’s got points in every pre-season game. And Christian Fischer is a lock to make the team. Doesn’t feel like a meritocracy to me. I honestly hate everything about Fischer’s game.

Preseason points are like junior points. They don't matter as much in the grand scheme as regular season NHL points.

As for Fischer, he's a totally different kind of player than Guenther so it's not an apples-to-apples meritocracy assessment. Fischer is, as we all have heard, a good room guy, but he's also on a one-year deal to prove his worth to the team. This is an assessment year for him as much as it is for Guenther. I'm less hard on Fischer than the rest of you because every team needs guys who don't stand out in any particular way but do the stolid, unremarkable grunt work on a shift. Fischer does that. We'll see after the season if BA feels like that's valuable enough to extend him.

But Guenther's staying or going won't rely on Fischer's presence. Rather, the fact that we have McBain and Smith in the pipeline make it so that if BA decides Guenther should go back for one more year, we can plug the hole. We're not so desperate for depth that we have to keep Guenther here on a bottom-feeder team no matter what might be best for his development.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Preseason points are like junior points. They don't matter as much in the grand scheme as regular season NHL points.

As for Fischer, he's a totally different kind of player than Guenther so it's not an apples-to-apples meritocracy assessment. Fischer is, as we all have heard, a good room guy, but he's also on a one-year deal to prove his worth to the team. This is an assessment year for him as much as it is for Guenther. I'm less hard on Fischer than the rest of you because every team needs guys who don't stand out in any particular way but do the stolid, unremarkable grunt work on a shift. Fischer does that. We'll see after the season if BA feels like that's valuable enough to extend him.

But Guenther's staying or going won't rely on Fischer's presence. Rather, the fact that we have McBain and Smith in the pipeline make it so that if BA decides Guenther should go back for one more year, we can plug the hole. We're not so desperate for depth that we have to keep Guenther here on a bottom-feeder team no matter what might be best for his development.
I don’t like Fischer because he’s a big wimp. I’m never going to forget what happened in the bubble. That was his defining moment. If the coyotes didn’t exist, he’d be out of the league by now.

If Guenther is in the top six and getting quality usage, he could score 20 goals this year.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don’t like Fischer because he’s a big wimp. I’m never going to forget what happened in the bubble. That was his defining moment. If the coyotes didn’t exist, he’d be out of the league by now.

If Guenther is in the top six and getting quality usage, he could score 20 goals this year.

Well, the good news is that BA has overcompensated so wildly on the size/meanness aspect for this year's team, we can afford a "wimp" who can play an unspectacular, well-rounded game. And again, if he sucks this year, we simply don't offer him another contract. Absolutely no risk on our end.

As for Guenther, it'd be nice if he's as good as we all project him to be. Personally, after many years of disappointing Coyotes prospects, it'd be nice to have one pan out.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He's still a bit scrawny but if that's the only issue then geography shouldn't come into the decision making. He should be in Tempe, not Edmonton.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He's still a bit scrawny but if that's the only issue then geography shouldn't come into the decision making. He should be in Tempe, not Edmonton.
I think Morgan is wildly exaggerating this factor. Guenther is not less physically ready than Mercer or Raymond or Stutzle or Zegras or Hughes or Jarvis or any of these recent amazing rookies. There probably isn’t one who could whip him in a wrestling match.

Reactions: Vinny Boombatz

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Why can't he pull a Matthews and go play for Zurich for a season? Or does the CHL/NHL prevent that too?
Russia isn't a part of the agreement. He could go play in the VHL (Russian equivalent of AHL). Only problem is he might get shipped out to fight a war.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I think Morgan is wildly exaggerating this factor. Guenther is not less physically ready than Mercer or Raymond or Stutzle or Zegras or Hughes or Jarvis or any of these recent amazing rookies. There probably isn’t one who could whip him in a wrestling match.
He looks pretty scrawny in person. Or maybe...wiry? That might be a better word. He definitely looks more wiry than the others. That doesn't mean much, though. Kids develop differently. But at 6'2", 175, and only 19 years old? I don't think looking wiry is avoidable. He's pretty strong on the puck already. With 2-3 years of NHL conditioning and weight training? He's gonna be a force.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
We collected a good amount of goons, err I mean grit, that I don't think it will be a problem. They'll be enforcing proper social distancing when it comes to Guenther!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
With his decent start to the 2022/23 season do you expect that he stays with the team past 9 games? And if so, do you also suspect he will not be playing in the WJC this year?
They are giving him 9. He’s played 5. Let’s see how next 4 go and if he’s made enough of a statement to stay. If u see his rights are bing traded in the WHL (hint Kamloops is hosting Mem Cup) then i would say that could be a sign.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
They are giving him 9. He’s played 5. Let’s see how next 4 go and if he’s made enough of a statement to stay. If u see his rights are bing traded in the WHL (hint Kamloops is hosting Mem Cup) then i would say that could be a sign.
Thanks!

I’m not seeing the trade of his rights but if what you say is true I’ll expect him to play in WJC

Edit: I’m dumb

Reactions: finkelsteinberg

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
He's on pace for 59 points.

Best rookie seasons by a Coyote (since 1996):

1. Clayton Keller, 65 points
2. Peter Mueller, 54 points
3. Max Domi, 52 points
4. Anthony Duclair, 44 points
5. Trevor Letowski, 43 points

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He's on pace for 59 points.

Best rookie seasons by a Coyote (since 1996):

1. Clayton Keller, 65 points
2. Peter Mueller, 54 points
3. Max Domi, 52 points
4. Anthony Duclair, 44 points
5. Trevor Letowski, 43 points
Domi/Duclair were the only reasons to buy a ticket for a while.

Reactions: 0point1

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Guenther's points are impressive considering the Coyotes are dead last in xGF/60 5v5 by like, a scary amount.

1. Devils - 3.65
31. Philly - 2.03
32. Arizona - 1.57

So there's zero offensive chances going on right now at even strength. If it feels like the Coyotes need to pray for a PP, they do.

I think AT needs to keep the kids away from players like O'Brien and Kassian. Even Crouse is pushing it terms of ozone sense. I'd call up Smith and just feed him TOI with the rest.

Keller - Hayton - Guenther
Maccelli - McBain - Smith
Crouse - Boyd - Bjugstad
Ritchie - O'Brien - Kassian

I'm assuming the lines are the way they are because this team could be broken mentally by the long trip, so hopefully there's more movement by the end of it.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I love Guenther but there's no chance he catches Beniers, barring a major injury for him. Beniers looks so so good for the Kraken this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad