Prospect Info: 2021 Draft #9 - Dylan Guenther (RW)

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Maccelli looks to be gaining confidence holding the puck and he's going to be an excellent distributor, but when he's capable of creating his own shot off of his puck control, he will be a legitimate top 6 forward.

Excited to see the maturation in his game. Not to mention that the increased PP% has a lot to do w/Maccelli & Guenther. Go figure that when you add 'skill' to a PP that it will get better.

finkelsteinberg

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I love Guenther but there's no chance he catches Beniers, barring a major injury for him. Beniers looks so so good for the Kraken this year.
Guenther gets less time than the top 12 rookie points leaders according to Craig Morgan. If he got that bumped up considerably, it's not inconceivable he would be the top point getter amongst rookies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
O'Brien is starting to look like an everyday player. To me, assuming everyone is healthy, then Kassian comes out of the lineup when Schmaltz comes back. Guenther stays. Rejig from there.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Guenther gets less time than the top 12 rookie points leaders according to Craig Morgan. If he got that bumped up considerably, it's not inconceivable he would be the top point getter amongst rookies.
Fair enough, it'd be nice to see him get extended play out there with Keller and Hayton or even Maccelli.

One other point of note is Beniers is scoring at a vastly higher rate at Even Strength. 7 EV points compared to Guenther's 2 so far this year. If Arizona's powerplay can stay hot, then maybe Dylan will have a chance.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd be thrilled if he finished top five with our roster. I'll be ecstatic if he finishes top three. I'll be getting straight up dumb if he wins the Calder (but maybe mildly irritated because we probably don't finish last if that happens)

Each game he is getting a bit better. He hasn't really shown and razzle-dazzle type plays yet, which indicates he is still working on his confidence. If that happens soon watch out.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
O'Brien is starting to look like an everyday player. To me, assuming everyone is healthy, then Kassian comes out of the lineup when Schmaltz comes back. Guenther stays. Rejig from there.
I'm not in love with cash in, he might be missed in the lineup, but he's also expendable. And it is a loser year so... Whatever it takes to keep from chasing another quality player away ala Turris, Wheeler, etc. If we sent him down he'd be left wondering "WTF do I have to do?"

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
We are currently carrying 13 forwards and 8 d-men. A D will be sent down and we'll carry 14 Fs. IMO, Guenther will be a healthy scratch later in the season just because he may not be use to an 82 games.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yeah, I don't think that O'Brien is an everyday player for a playoff team...good for the tank, but certainly not for a team in the future that is playing for Lord Stanley.

We need 'huge' upgrades on the following players, with hopes that our draftees will fill those spots with a much larger skill set.

O'Brien
Boyd (wouldn't mind keeping him as 4th line C or winger)
Kassian
Bjugstad
McBain (wouldn't mind keeping as 4th line winger or C)

Hopefully Future Forward Group: 2 yrs from Now
Keller/Fantilli/Guenther
Maccelli/Cooley/
Geekie/Hayton/Fischer
Jenik/McBain/McCartney
Carcone

The D is a whole other story, because I don't know if we have a top pairing guy: Hoping it's Lamoureux or Duda, but certainly I don't see top pairing potential from Soderstrom/Kolyachonok. Moser could be, certainly top 4 now, but don't know whether he's got #1 potential defensively.

Future D Group: 2yrs from now
Moser/ ?
? / ? - would be nice to keep Ghost on the 2nd pair, but can't argue if he gets a good asset at trade deadline
Kolyachonok/Soderstrom (hoping they can meet this minimum level and hopefully be good 2nd pair guys)
Valimaki (not sure he's capable of reaching anything above a #6/7

Definitely D is our biggest weakness

Lamoureux is in my estimation 4yrs away from improving our group (age 22)
Duda is at least 3yrs away (age 21)

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
He hasn't really shown and razzle-dazzle type plays yet, which indicates he is still working on his confidence. If that happens soon watch out.
From the junior highlights I watched from last season, I didn't get the sense that he uses much razzle dazzle. His most impressive trait is definitely his shot and he's very well rounded with the other parts of his game. Just not that flashy.

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
From the junior highlights I watched from last season, I didn't get the sense that he uses much razzle dazzle. His most impressive trait is definitely his shot and he's very well rounded with the other parts of his game. Just not that flashy.

I mean razzle dazzle to Guenther's comparative play. Haven't seen much of those speedy breakaways that lead to a net front shot or picking the corner. Not much presence flash around the net like in juniors.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I mean razzle dazzle to Guenther's comparative play. Haven't seen much of those speedy breakaways that lead to a net front shot or picking the corner. Not much presence flash around the net like in juniors.
Not yet, but I think that will come...just like last night on his 1-timer from Boyd, typically he'd have scored that 10/10 times, but at intermission you could tell that he got nervous, and that is expected. It's when those nerves transition into confidence then his scoring is going to explode along w/the rest of his game. He's played 8 games fellas, he's going to be really good.

Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Not yet, but I think that will come...just like last night on his 1-timer from Boyd, typically he'd have scored that 10/10 times, but at intermission you could tell that he got nervous, and that is expected. It's when those nerves transition into confidence then his scoring is going to explode along w/the rest of his game. He's played 8 games fellas, he's going to be really good.

Exactly. Production is already impressive for someone who still has jitters.

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Maybe it’s already been said here, but Craig Morgan said he talked to Oil Kings staff who said _if_ he comes back he will not play a shift for them, he would be traded. For you guys that follow the dub, what are some possible teams that could land him? Kamloops would be nice, since they are hosting the Mem Cup.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Maybe it’s already been said here, but Craig Morgan said he talked to Oil Kings staff who said _if_ he comes back he will not play a shift for them, he would be traded. For you guys that follow the dub, what are some possible teams that could land him? Kamloops would be nice, since they are hosting the Mem Cup.
Kamloops and Winnipeg are the two that stick out immediately.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine

Kamloops and Winnipeg are the two that stick out immediately.
I didn't realize how bad the Oil Kings were until just now. Holy smokes they're bad.

Red Deer and Seattle are also off to nice starts, not sure about their rosters or if they can matchup against Winnipeg in a seven game series to make the Memorial Cup.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Kamloops Winnioeg Seattle. My bet is kamloops.

Regina is surprisingly not moving Bedard apparently. Maybe they become involved.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Regina moved Bedard the fans would revolt.
The fans have already revolted and stopped attending over ticket prices. The smart move would be to trade Bedard and rebuild the team. He isn't helping them be great on the ice or at the box office. He is fantastic though.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad