Tennis: 2021 Australian Open

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I expect Osaka and Djokovic to both win, probably in straights but I think their respective opponents can make it interesting. Brady has a big game and if she's serving well and can cut down on the unforced errors she can make a match of it. Medvedev will need to avoid getting into backhand rallies and use all of his tricks to keep Djokovic off balance.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I expect Osaka and Djokovic to both win, probably in straights but I think their respective opponents can make it interesting. Brady has a big game and if she's serving well and can cut down on the unforced errors she can make a match of it. Medvedev will need to avoid getting into backhand rallies and use all of his tricks to keep Djokovic off balance.

I'd be very surprised if Djokovic wins in 3.

Reactions: Filppula

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I don't think Daniil needs to worry about getting in backhand crosscourt duels with anyone. However, Nole possesses the sort of slice backhand that may be better able to handle Medvedev's low-bouncing balls than anything Rublev or Tsitsipas had in their arsenal, neither of whom use slice backhand's as weapons of first choice. So on a reasonably fast surface, that's one variable that is a little different then when Daniil beat Nole at the ATP in London.

Osaka and Brady already had one great match in a GS, last year in the US Open semis. I think Osaka will have an easier win this time around.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd be very surprised if Djokovic wins in 3.
Funny thing. I can see Medvedev winning in three, but not Djokovic. However, I can see Djokovic winning in five, and not Medvedev. Until I figure that one out, I'm not going to know whom to pick.

Reactions: Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
1st set: Godawful set that neither woman deserved to win, but despite 48% on first serve and 15 errors, Osaka did 6-4.

2nd set: Though Brady zings the occasional hard hit winner past Osaka, she remains wildly inconsistent and is now quickly down love-3...Osaka improved this set but still nowhere near her top gear--had a point for 5-love only to let herself be broken for 4-2. Neither woman is bringing out the best in the other...Naomi takes Brady out of her misery, 6-3.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Some stats:
Both women first served at 48%
Six service breaks in all
Brady had 15 winners and 31 unforced errors
Osaka had 16 winners and 24 unforced errors

Must be one of the worst AO finals in its long history.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Went all in on Djokovic. I think he has one more in him, plus he is such an established good bet in AO finals that he just hard to resist no matter how well Medvedev is playing, especially at 1.00 vcash odds. I want Medvedev to win and I will be rooting for him to make me broke. Me picking Nole probably assures Daniil a victory anyway.

Oct 18, 2006
Medvedev in 4 sets, routine win.
Yeah I’m worried about this one, real worried. Medvedev’s form is just so strong, and his recent head to head record with Novak is concerning. Djokovic likes to hit his BH cross court, problem is he’s hitting to his BH which is top tier. I think this one goes 5, maybe Medvedev in 4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
On any other hard court, I'd agree with you guys. But not this one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm going to take Medvedev, but I admit that I would not be surprised if Djokovic won. How could you be?

On the other end of things, how good was Osaka in this tournament? It seems like she's taking over the women's game right now, and no one else is particularly close to as good as her.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great start for Nole, 2-love....but Denis turns the tables, 3-2. The game is afoot. Both breaks neat demonstrations of what each has to do to win.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
7-5 Nole and a great job of executing his game plan. For once it is Medvedev's game that gets disrupted. Nole is deftly staying away from prolonged backhand ralllies and keeping pressusre on Daniil's forehand.

2nd set: Daniil feeling pressure. He breaks Djokovic in the first game and then misses a slew of shots that he's made all week, 3-1 Nole.

Key stat: Nole has taen more shots inside the baseline than Deniis, probably a first this week against Medvedev and another indication of the pressure he putting on his opponent.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Daniil's concentration in tatters, he loses the set 6-2 in a tailspin.

3rd set: Medvedev fooliishly lets his frustration take control of his game, as Nole fuels the flames with some clever angles and some great serving, 2-love....another 6-2, easy, peasy.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Great execution of game plan, great return of serving, great use of whole court

And Daniil added to his own woes by being pissed off for a set and a half that he didn't get the first set to a tiebreaker. Tough but probably very instructive learning experience.

Congrats on #18.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy and Filppula

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->