Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
U guys think barabanov could be a 50 point guy?

On the right team, I think he could peak at 50 points, though I worry given his age (and propensity for other teams trying to kill him) that he won't actually get there at any point in his career.

A Kane/Meier-Hertl-Barabanov line probably could have done it. I think Balcers-Hertl-Barabanov falls just short.

Still a very nice player to have. I notice the "Barabanov is already old news" crowd hasn't said anything about him lately.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I was also wondering about Barabanov’s role in the team. 10 points in 17 games look pretty decent for a guy that SJ got for free.

He’s really clicked with Hertl, but besides that, he’s just a smart player with good hands who sort of does everything well — not elite, but well. Probably on a good team, he’s a great 3rd line winger that elevates the 3rd line into a scoring threat every game — on our team, he’s a great complementary top 6 winger for Hertl — particularly if we can get Hertl a legit scorer on the other wing.

He’s, in many ways, our Donskoi replacement.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Cas

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
What it tells me is that Barabonov is probably gone next season.

That's been my assumption - Barabanov is probably going to want some term at a medium AAV, and the Sharks may not have the cap space - if they lose Hertl, Barabanov may not be as effective either.

If they're out of the playoff hunt, I'd trade Barabanov and try and finagle a 2nd out of someone - if he's at a 50 point pace, some team may bite. At least get a 3rd for him.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
That's been my assumption - Barabanov is probably going to want some term at a medium AAV, and the Sharks may not have the cap space - if they lose Hertl, Barabanov may not be as effective either.

If they're out of the playoff hunt, I'd trade Barabanov and try and finagle a 2nd out of someone - if he's at a 50 point pace, some team may bite. At least get a 3rd for him.
If they are out of the playoff hunt, trade both Hertl and him and you might get a decent asset collection. If they are in the playoffs, I think you focus on resigning Hertl if possible, because we have wing prospects coming, but not any top centers.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
So, if the Sharks are playing really well by the trade deadline and Hertl re-signs… do you want DW to go out and get them help for a playoff run if it doesn’t include trading any high picks but possibly a prospect?

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
So, if the Sharks are playing really well by the trade deadline and Hertl re-signs… do you want DW to go out and get them help for a playoff run if it doesn’t include trading any high picks but possibly a prospect?

No, unless its dumping off assets we are not resigning for future assets no way. unless some how they are a top ten team by seasons and and look legit. They just need to sit tight and continue to let the storm run its 5 year coarse. they are almost half way through it

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I'm totally okay with continuing to compete and building this winning attitude, even if it goes nowhere and we don't make the playoffs. A pick in the teens is okay. The 2022 draft is a deep one and we can add a real good player that will help us in the future. Don't trade any picks. If anything, re sign Hertl and try to pull off a Goodrow 2.0 deal. Maybe Labanc fetches a late 1st for a contending team looking to add at the deadline.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I think a deal giving up a 3rd or later for a EK65 partner would be a great deadline pickup for a competing sharks team.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
The way that Middleton is improving, I'm starting to think it might not be a bad idea to just keep him there. I'm far more worried about the third pair.
I'm far more worried Doug Wilson finds Middleton to be the perfect fools gold and give him a 4x4 deal.

Reactions: WSS11

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Nope. Third in the pacific is not a contender to me. Im happy we do well, but they clearly are not there yet

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Nope. Third in the pacific is not a contender to me. Im happy we do well, but they clearly are not there yet

Agree. But, there is a scenario where i wouldnt mind them getting an asset for a playoff push
  • Vlasic or Simek (or both) are replaced by young guys
  • Some combo of Balcers, Dahlen, Weatherby, Gadjovic, Pederson, Hill start playing better and contributing to winning games, not not-losing games
  • their record and play against potential 1st rd opponents is reasonable (unlike last season vs Colorado lol)
If the future core guys are playing well and thus the implications are that the team will be better next year, i think it's worthwhile to get the team some playoff experience. getting waxed like STL did vs Col is something I want to avoid, but even losing a tight series has some long-term benefits

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Agree. But, there is a scenario where i wouldnt mind them getting an asset for a playoff push
  • Vlasic or Simek (or both) are replaced by young guys
  • Some combo of Balcers, Dahlen, Weatherby, Gadjovic, Pederson, Hill start playing better and contributing to winning games, not not-losing games
  • their record and play against potential 1st rd opponents is reasonable (unlike last season vs Colorado lol)
If the future core guys are playing well and thus the implications are that the team will be better next year, i think it's worthwhile to get the team some playoff experience. getting waxed like STL did vs Col is something I want to avoid, but even losing a tight series has some long-term benefits

I think whatever comes of Kane’s contract plays a factor in how aggressively they will look to add this season.

Ultimately, for me, the main factor is if the team has confidence they can re-sign Hertl. If he’s digging the locker room and likes what he sees coming through the pipeline, there might be an outside chance the Sharks can keep him on board without devastating their cap structure. If bringing in a bargain-bin deadline leftover middle-six/bottom-pairing player is gonna move that needle, I’d be okay with it.

Otherwise, I hope they stay the course and maybe even look at what a Labanc/Barabanov/Balcers* could fetch at the deadline.

Then in the off-season figure out what moves can be made to make the most of Eklund’s re-arrival, and figure out where the Merkleys and Bordeleau/Weisblatt/Coe fit into the picture.

*don’t ban me Nem, my heart would break too.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Thinks Sharks will buy out Kane if he doesn't get traded.

Hertl is still in the middle of stuff. Should DW trade for assets to bolster aging core (who are mainly blue liners)?

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It sucks the team is in this middle ground where we win 2, lose 2. It's hard to say whether we're better off keeping or trading Hertl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad