Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
When we talk about the COVID games, we're really talking about Hatakka and Merkley, with a minor bit of Meloche and Megna. The only forward that made any kind of impression was Nick Merkley. John Leonard is barely doing anything in the AHL, he's certainly not ready for the NHL grind. I think Ryan Merkley should be up right now playing with Vlasic, but N. Merkley is the only forward I'd want up at the moment.

Reactions: tealzamboni

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Bonino is the most important Shark because they have zero options for 3C if he can’t play to his potential.
If Kane can prove he wants to play hockey then the Sharks can complete with anyone.

Kane - Hertl - Barabonov
Meier - Couture - Dahlen
Balcers - Bonino - Labanc
Cogs - Weatherby - Nieto

The place the sharks could upgrade is a partner for EK 65.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Bonino is the most important Shark because they have zero options for 3C if he can’t play to his potential.
If Kane can prove he wants to play hockey then the Sharks can complete with anyone.

Kane - Hertl - Barabonov
Meier - Couture - Dahlen
Cogs - Weatherby - Nieto

Yes we have needed a top-4 quality LHD for a while. Ferraro seemed to become one around the same time Vlasic's play diminished, but we still lack another.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007

Kane - Hertl - Barabonov
Meier - Couture - Dahlen
Cogs - Weatherby - Nieto

IMO Pederson is a better option for 4C.

And if they wanted to put all their best options (except Eklund) in the lineup, R Merkley would be called up and they'd figure out the pairings.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'd be interested in watching a Ferraro-Merkley pairing. It would be a nice glimpse of our D cores future. The other pairings can be whatever like Middleton/Vlasic-Karlsson, and Vlasic/Middleton-Burns.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
When we talk about the COVID games, we're really talking about Hatakka and Merkley, with a minor bit of Meloche and Megna. The only forward that made any kind of impression was Nick Merkley. John Leonard is barely doing anything in the AHL, he's certainly not ready for the NHL grind. I think Ryan Merkley should be up right now playing with Vlasic, but N. Merkley is the only forward I'd want up at the moment.

I'd like to see Ryan Merkley up late in the year, maybe post-deadline. I don't think he'd hold up for the rest of the year as he is right now, and his development in the AHL is going great. The change I'd like to see right now is calling Meloche or Megna up for Hatakka, because Hatakka needs to be playing minutes somewhere and either of those two can handle #7 duties just fine.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I'd be interested in watching a Ferraro-Merkley pairing. It would be a nice glimpse of our D cores future. The other pairings can be whatever like Middleton/Vlasic-Karlsson, and Vlasic/Middleton-Burns.

I like it as an idea, but practically-speaking, I think Merkley needs to be sheltered a little much at this point for each of them to maximize their output: you want him getting o-zone starts and somewhat soft matchups to try to generate offense, while Ferraro is best with more d-zone starts and tough matchups.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Pederson has no points this year. Weatherby at least wins face offs and chips in points

What does Pederson actually do well? He seems like Gambrell in his all-around mediocrity.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think Middleton has gotten better as the season has gone on. And I actually think Vlasic has been alright the last week or so.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Fine? If he was playing on the third pair we'd be in solid shape I guess. Could be worse with regards to a partner for Karlsson.

Basically indifferent, but he seems to be getting somewhat better.

The question I have about him right now is if he weren't playing with Karlsson, who I think has helped him out immensely with his skating and passing, would he even be a passable third pairing guy? And, like, if Karlsson ever were given a partner again of a certain quality, would people start talking once more about how good he is still?

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Thoughts on Middleton so far this season?

Solidly invisible. That's unfair but he's been largely solid and mistake-free defensively while generating no offense. All in all, about the best that we could have hoped for and a decent linemate for Karlsson in the short term, on a cheap contract with no term.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
The question I have about him right now is if he weren't playing with Karlsson, who I think has helped him out immensely with his skating and passing, would he even be a passable third pairing guy? And, like, if Karlsson ever were given a partner again of a certain quality, would people start talking once more about how good he is still?
Even before he was playing with EK this season, he looked like he was starting to improve to at least a consistent third-pairing level, imo.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Jake DeBrusk rumored to have asked for a trade with Boston... What if we do a Kane (50% retained)+Labanc + 3rd for Debrusk trade?

If we think he could play next to Hertl and Barabanov and hopefully help that line achieve more consistency, that'd be great. I'd still probably do it just to get rid of Kane.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
IMO Pederson is a better option for 4C.

And if they wanted to put all their best options (except Eklund) in the lineup, R Merkley would be called up and they'd figure out the pairings.

Pederson has been hot garbage in pretty much every single game he's played for the Sharks this year. He's not NHL ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad