Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I feel like Pederson is typically a factor in the offensive zone. Just doesn't seem like he has much of a defensive game

Also I'd love to get Debrusk. I've always thought he was like a Timo-lite kind of player

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I feel like Pederson is typically a factor in the offensive zone. Just doesn't seem like he has much of a defensive game

Also I'd love to get Debrusk. I've always thought he was like a Timo-lite kind of player

That’s a fair comparison. I don’t think he’d score as Kane has but he’s good enough for the top six. No room in Boston for him.

undercovernerd

Apr 18, 2014
Bend, OR / Bay Area, CA
Regarding Jake DeBrusk... Didn't the sharks say a trade was being worked with kane?

DeBrusk is much faster and has a better shot than Timo. I feel like he reads the game well and reminds me of a Tarasenko-lite player which is odd typing out...

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
Regarding Jake DeBrusk... Didn't the sharks say a trade was being worked with kane?

DeBrusk is much faster and has a better shot than Timo. I feel like he reads the game well and reminds me of a Tarasenko-lite player which is odd typing out...
How dare you sir bring up a member a of blues haha

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don't really see Tarasenko-lite in Debrusk. I agree with hohosaregood's assessment, from what I remember of Debrusk, he is kinda like Timo-lite but faster and better at tipping pucks and worst at grinding. I would take him because we love to try to tip pucks and could always use a guy like that, and I would like our players to play more of a transition-style game anyways.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't really see Tarasenko-lite in Debrusk. I agree with hohosaregood's assessment, from what I remember of Debrusk, he is kinda like Timo-lite but faster and better at tipping pucks and worst at grinding. I would take him because we love to try to tip pucks and could always use a guy like that, and I would like our players to play more of a transition-style game anyways.

Defensively his skating isn't so great (got walked by Ceci this year), but he has offensive upside. If he can be an F1 puck carrier on Hertl's line and find soft spots in front of the net (he's good at that now), that could be a good fit. Hertl needs a better puck carrier than Barabanov

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Fine? If he was playing on the third pair we'd be in solid shape I guess. Could be worse with regards to a partner for Karlsson.

Basically indifferent, but he seems to be getting somewhat better.

Word, nice shot for the goal just there (offside review aside)!

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

two thoughts:

1) are the twins right? Is Karlsson back? sure has been playing like it recently.
2) The Athletic article used 20-21 data and showed Karlsson was the 2nd best PMD in the league and tops in moving the puck in all three zones. Evolving-Hockey's graph showed his SPAR as negative last year. Am I wrong in that looking at these two data sets suggests that Karlsson's value last year was tanked by poor goaltending and lack of finish from teammates?

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

two thoughts:

1) are the twins right? Is Karlsson back? sure has been playing like it recently.
2) The Athletic article used 20-21 data and showed Karlsson was the 2nd best PMD in the league and tops in moving the puck in all three zones. Evolving-Hockey's graph showed his SPAR as negative last year. Am I wrong in that looking at these two data sets suggests that Karlsson's value last year was tanked by poor goaltending and lack of finish from teammates?

By the eye test, he looks a thousand times better this year than last year. Effort, for one and two, his decision making seems way better. It’s too bad we don’t have a better team, because I do think his resurgence could win a playoff series. It’s just… this team isn’t good enough to get very much further past that.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think EK is figuring out his limits and finally adjusting. He doesn't really look like the one man jet engine he used to be.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think EK is figuring out his limits and finally adjusting. He doesn't really look like the one man jet engine he used to be.
yea he uses his quick feet and hands to get out of pressure rather than force and offensive play, and he is joining the rush very judiciously now. Last year it felt he was always up in the play and no one could get him the puck, but maybe that's because it wasn't a good play for him to be there

TEALICIOUS

Nov 29, 2021

Bravo, probably the most rational way of looking at E.K. He is still a very good player, those who think he wash up is wrong. Stop! Looking at his salary, he will never be that dominant player ever again. Doug wilson made a gamble to win a cup and it didn't pay off , I can live with that. To resign him and for him to decline from a dominant player this quickly was something that most didn't see coming. I would bet on a Ek talent over and over again. We are a small market team in term of hockey. Fans are funny, when a team commit to a player and he start to decline you complain. When they don't do nothing you complain as well.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Yes, he hasn't gotten that pop, or quick acceleration up to speed back yet. He is moving the puck much better though.

I remember on his first year with the Sharks when he was healthy for those 3 or 4 weeks, his acceleration up to speed was insane. Blew by opponents easily.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Yes, he hasn't gotten that pop, or quick acceleration up to speed back yet. He is moving the puck much better though.

I remember on his first year with the Sharks when he was healthy for those 3 or 4 weeks, his acceleration up to speed was insane. Blew by opponents easily.

I think he still actually does it, he’s just very specific on when. I don’t know if it’s him playing it safer or what but I’ve still seen him go end to end, get an offensive chance then be the first guy back in the same shift. Either way, I think he’s looked extremely dominant.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I think he still actually does it, he’s just very specific on when. I don’t know if it’s him playing it safer or what but I’ve still seen him go end to end, get an offensive chance then be the first guy back in the same shift. Either way, I think he’s looked extremely dominant.
Hes been especially exceptional doing these little evasive maneuvers to escape the forecheck. EK is a master at seeing lanes and finding forwards up ice. Whens hes able to escape pressure and find a forward leaking into the nz/oz, he's typically on it with a spot on pass that backcheckers and defenders aren't expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad