Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Ferraro is a quality stay-at-home d-man...
He absolutely is not, at least not this year. He's good at blocking shots, but it tells you something that he has to block so many.

Ferraro's biggest problem is that in his first year, he played a very good, stable game, but after being paired with Burns so long, he's tried to do everything on the ice and it's not working for him.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think if you paired Ferraro with a prime Braun or Vlasic who were fundamentally less aggressive and more predictable defenders, he'd be a really incredible checking defenseman. Burns is a little too chaotic for this pairing and Ferraro needs to calm it down too.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think if you paired Ferraro with a prime Braun or Vlasic who were fundamentally less aggressive and more predictable defenders, he'd be a really incredible checking defenseman. Burns is a little too chaotic for this pairing and Ferraro needs to calm it down too.
pair him with vlasic now. I say f*** it and let Burns and Karl play together just roaming around

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If Ferraro gets the raise Sheng is projecting the Sharks will be spending over $35 million on defensemen next season. That's a full $10 million more than what Tampa is spending on their defense as the next closest team. Utter insanity.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He absolutely is not, at least not this year. He's good at blocking shots, but it tells you something that he has to block so many.

Ferraro's biggest problem is that in his first year, he played a very good, stable game, but after being paired with Burns so long, he's tried to do everything on the ice and it's not working for him.
He does it because he’s on the ice for half the game and his d partner has turned into a pylon which means he can’t be aggressive on the puck.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
That's entirely fair, but he was a better defenseman when he wasn't trying to be Burns. He just needs to simplify his game and play like he did in his rookie year.
Agreed, but I’m surprised there is as much dislike towards Mario considering he’s been asked to do way too much and so much out of his wheelhouse. The pairing of him and Burns and the minutes they get is perhaps BB’s greatest mistake

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
If Ferraro gets the raise Sheng is projecting the Sharks will be spending over $35 million on defensemen next season. That's a full $10 million more than what Tampa is spending on their defense as the next closest team. Utter insanity.

Factoring Karlsson off LITR, it's knocking on the $32m door right now. Ferraro could push that to $37m as a UFA or arbitration eligible, but he's not. So the Sharks hold the cards, and all Ferraro could do is hold out.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Factoring Karlsson off LITR, it's knocking on the $32m door right now. Ferraro could push that to $37m as a UFA or arbitration eligible, but he's not. So the Sharks hold the cards, and all Ferraro could do is hold out.
Playing hardball with Mario of all defensemen for this team is the dumbest move ever.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Playing hardball with Mario of all defensemen for this team is the dumbest move ever.

DW is not above dumb moves like Eklund, misjudging goaltender talent, and some contracts, but young players are expecting the limitations on their negotiating power of RFAs. My guess is Ferraro will probably sign for $2.5m to $3m cap hit for 3 years.

Somebody should start a "next contract" thread for Ferraro rather than hijacking this one.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I think he means the decision to send him back to Sweden.
Just because Ek whined about it doesn’t make it a bad move. He wasn’t seeing more time in the NHL this year and playing in Europe instead of the AHL isn’t gonna stunt his growth the way some people act like it’s going to.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
DW is not above dumb moves like Eklund, misjudging goaltender talent, and some contracts, but young players are expecting the limitations on their negotiating power of RFAs. My guess is Ferraro will probably sign for $2.5m to $3m cap hit for 3 years.

Somebody should start a "next contract" thread for Ferraro rather than hijacking this one.
There’s about 5 elite goalies in the NHL which means the other 25 or so teams struggle with finding a quality goalie as much as we do. My guess with Mario is he’s closer to 4.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad