Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
So, if the Sharks are playing really well by the trade deadline and Hertl re-signs… do you want DW to go out and get them help for a playoff run if it doesn’t include trading any high picks but possibly a prospect?

"Michael Haley is the help that best fits your and my requirements"
- DW

Reactions: Red Light Lover

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I agree that if Hertl doesn’t want to re-sign by the deadline, you trade who you can and amass picks and prospects. If he stays, I actually think the team can be competitive very soon if some of the new guys (Eklund, Bordeleau, Ozzy, Merkley, etc.) can live up to their potential.

If Bordeleau and Eklund are legit top 6 players next season, then having a top 6 of: Hertl, Couture, Meier, Bordeleau, Eklund, Dahlen/Barabanov isn’t too shabby. Or if Bordeleau can jump in and take 3C (pushing Bonino to 4C) that lets us spread out the talent pretty well. It’s a super young team but it’s not a bad one and you can, at that point, bring in a vet or two to solidify the lineup.

At this point, with Meier and Karlsson’s resurgence, the team isn’t actually too bad. If they could get a scoring 3C, a top 6 sniper for Hertl and fix the third D pairing, they can do some real damage.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I agree that if Hertl doesn’t want to re-sign by the deadline, you trade who you can and amass picks and prospects. If he stays, I actually think the team can be competitive very soon if some of the new guys (Eklund, Bordeleau, Ozzy, Merkley, etc.) can live up to their potential.

If Bordeleau and Eklund are legit top 6 players next season, then having a top 6 of: Hertl, Couture, Meier, Bordeleau, Eklund, Dahlen/Barabanov isn’t too shabby. Or if Bordeleau can jump in and take 3C (pushing Bonino to 4C) that lets us spread out the talent pretty well. It’s a super young team but it’s not a bad one and you can, at that point, bring in a vet or two to solidify the lineup.

At this point, with Meier and Karlsson’s resurgence, the team isn’t actually too bad. If they could get a scoring 3C, a top 6 sniper for Hertl and fix the third D pairing, they can do some real damage.
Eklund was borderline top-6 ready for us this year, so I think slotting him onto a line with Hertl next year would be awesome, but that's if Hertl is still here. I think Bordeleau should either be our 3C or on the third line wing next year, and he can be moved up as he proves himself. I'm worried about Ozzy because he plays a game where they can throw him on the 4th line and he'll be effective, but I don't want our coaching staff to play the poor kid with some bums on 4th line minutes and expect him to live up to his potential.

If we trade Hertl, and next year is a tank, I wouldn't mind we do with Bordeleau what Ottawa has done with Norris, and literally just give him top-6 minutes with some good players and see what he does. The team might get outmatched but he'll get some serious experience which will pay off.

Reactions: Jargon

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Eklund was borderline top-6 ready for us this year, so I think slotting him onto a line with Hertl next year would be awesome, but that's if Hertl is still here. I think Bordeleau should either be our 3C or on the third line wing next year, and he can be moved up as he proves himself. I'm worried about Ozzy because he plays a game where they can throw him on the 4th line and he'll be effective, but I don't want our coaching staff to play the poor kid with some bums on 4th line minutes and expect him to live up to his potential.

If we trade Hertl, and next year is a tank, I wouldn't mind we do with Bordeleau what Ottawa has done with Norris, and literally just give him top-6 minutes with some good players and see what he does. The team might get outmatched but he'll get some serious experience which will pay off.

I don’t know that playing Ozzy on the 4th line would really hurt his development. What I like about Ozzy is he seems to be the kind of guy who will work tirelessly to get better. I think, most likely, he’s going to top out at a really good third line energy guy who we love to pieces and who can fill in in the top 6 if someone goes down. Starting on the 4th is a good way to bring him in, especially if Bonino is his center.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don’t know that playing Ozzy on the 4th line would really hurt his development. What I like about Ozzy is he seems to be the kind of guy who will work tirelessly to get better. I think, most likely, he’s going to top out at a really good third line energy guy who we love to pieces and who can fill in in the top 6 if someone goes down. Starting on the 4th is a good way to bring him in, especially if Bonino is his center.

I don't think it would hurt Ozzy to play him on the 4th line but it depends on what you want to get out of him. If you want him to be a sparkplug type that has scoring touch, I'd rather he play more minutes in the AHL with special teams shifts over the limits that come with being a 4th liner in the NHL. Everything I've seen out of Ozzy thus far tells me he's going to need some AHL seasoning before getting into the show though. He looks like he'll need some time adjusting to the pro game when that time comes. But I do still fully expect him to develop into a middle six winger at the NHL level which would be fantastic for that pick and if he impresses in camp, I'm all for moving out talent to open the spot for him.

If the team continues to play at this level, they're not going to trade Hertl even if he's intending on walking. I just can't see the team throwing away a chance to make the playoffs and make some money just to get what would likely add up to a mid-to-late 1st round pick and some other mid-level sort of future asset. Playoff teams just don't have premium assets available to trade for Hertl, imo.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think it would hurt Ozzy to play him on the 4th line but it depends on what you want to get out of him. If you want him to be a sparkplug type that has scoring touch, I'd rather he play more minutes in the AHL with special teams shifts over the limits that come with being a 4th liner in the NHL. Everything I've seen out of Ozzy thus far tells me he's going to need some AHL seasoning before getting into the show though. He looks like he'll need some time adjusting to the pro game when that time comes. But I do still fully expect him to develop into a middle six winger at the NHL level which would be fantastic for that pick and if he impresses in camp, I'm all for moving out talent to open the spot for him.

If the team continues to play at this level, they're not going to trade Hertl even if he's intending on walking. I just can't see the team throwing away a chance to make the playoffs and make some money just to get what would likely add up to a mid-to-late 1st round pick and some other mid-level sort of future asset. Playoff teams just don't have premium assets available to trade for Hertl, imo.

Based on Ozzy's trajectory since being drafted we'll be lucky if he develops into another Noah Gregor.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Based on Ozzy's trajectory since being drafted we'll be lucky if he develops into another Noah Gregor.

I think that's a bit unfair - Wiesblatt scored at higher rates in the WHL in both his draft year and his D+1 year than Gregor did (and added a handful of successful games in the AHL at 18 years old, too). His D+2 year has so far been less successful, although Gregor's team was playoff-bound while Wiesblatt is on a basement dweller, so that might account for some of the difference.

We don't know whether Wiesblatt can handle the NHL game yet - Gregor's problem so far has been that he doesn't seem to think or anticipate fast enough (maybe that's changing, we shall hope and see). Wiesblatt may be the same, but at a certain point we can only infer so much from junior scoring rates.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think that's a bit unfair - Wiesblatt scored at higher rates in the WHL in both his draft year and his D+1 year than Gregor did (and added a handful of successful games in the AHL at 18 years old, too). His D+2 year has so far been less successful, although Gregor's team was playoff-bound while Wiesblatt is on a basement dweller, so that might account for some of the difference.

We don't know whether Wiesblatt can handle the NHL game yet - Gregor's problem so far has been that he doesn't seem to think or anticipate fast enough (maybe that's changing, we shall hope and see). Wiesblatt may be the same, but at a certain point we can only infer so much from junior scoring rates.

Their production from draft year to D+2 has basically been identical. Fans should prepare for the likelihood that Wiesblatt/Bordeleau/Robins/Gushchin is just another Gregor/Gambrell/Chmelevski/Chekhovich batch of prospects.

Aren’t you the dude who said Barabanov should be sat?

Barabanov should still be sat. Sharks are at 42% expected goals when he's on the ice which is among the worst on the team and in the league.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Their production from draft year to D+2 has basically been identical. Fans should prepare for the likelihood that Wiesblatt/Bordeleau/Robins/Gushchin is just another Gregor/Gambrell/Chmelevski/Chekhovich batch of prospects.

Barabanov should still be sat. Sharks are at 42% expected goals when he's on the ice which is among the worst on the team and in the league.

Yikes. Barabanov has made things happen every time he's on the ice. They need someone to replace Balcers but what a hot take.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

I think you're far too pessimistic considering the evidence both on the prospects and on Barabanov. You can bitch and moan about Barabanov's expected goals percentage but he's producing which is really all that matters. If the team falls off, he's likely done enough to warrant a draft pick being returned at the deadline for him. Barabanov is free money being gained the more he produces regardless of the underlying metrics. I think you need to readjust what the goal is for someone like Barabanov. Sitting him because of expected goals percentage on this team...for who exactly? I think that's pretty dumb no matter what perspective you come from here.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think you're far too pessimistic considering the evidence both on the prospects and on Barabanov. You can bitch and moan about Barabanov's expected goals percentage but he's producing which is really all that matters. If the team falls off, he's likely done enough to warrant a draft pick being returned at the deadline for him. Barabanov is free money being gained the more he produces regardless of the underlying metrics. I think you need to readjust what the goal is for someone like Barabanov. Sitting him because of expected goals percentage on this team...for who exactly? I think that's pretty dumb no matter what perspective you come from here.

Teams would have to be insane or ridiculously desperate to even consider trading for Barabanov at the deadline. He is the last player you want to be adding to a playoff roster.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I can instantly think of at least 15 players i'd rank lower than Barabanov, players who are worse with worse contracts. Don't use hyperbole to make your point

Who said anything about his contract? Teams trying to win playoff games don't trade for players like Barabanov.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Who said anything about his contract? Teams trying to win playoff games don't trade for players like Barabanov.
hey, perhaps you're unaware, and that's cool. The NHL has this thing called a Salary Cap, which means that there's a limit to the amount of money you can spend on your players each year. GMs have to factor that in when making a trade. Thus, Barabanov, who is currently playing around .5ppg, is an attractive player to add because his cap hit is only 1M.

Reactions: Bizz and Sandisfan

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So since everybody came back from Covid, we've actually been a really good possession team. Since 11/13, the first game we got everybody back, the team's xGF is 54.18% which is good for 8th in the league in that span of time. So...maybe Sharks are actually good?

Reactions: Bizz and Sandisfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln