Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Feels like this roster is where most assumed it would be before the season started. Had a nice start but it's not a great team and probably not getting better for awhile

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Feels like this roster is where most assumed it would be before the season started. Had a nice start but it's not a great team and probably not getting better for awhile
it wont get better this year but its really only 3 players from being good

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I think Hertl will determine the future of this team. If he does not sign and the Sharks move him at the deadline, Meier might as well go too. Hertl is the only legit top 6 center on the team. Couture needs Meier to carry him and Karlsson needs better forwards around him to finish. With Hertl gone, this only becomes more difficult. I like this years’s Meier, but I do not see him as a player you build around.

I don’t know what to make of the Kane situation. Management seemed to banish him, whether rightly or wrongly, to placate other players, especially Hertl according to various media sources. So, if Hertl goes, the Sharks lose two top 6 guys in an attempt to keep Hertl happy. Hertl’s earned the right to do what he wants, but I hope he’s not playing games by saying he might stay with no intention of staying.

In my opinion, Eklund passed the eye test. Looking at some of the fancy stats, he did not generate much of anything 5 on 5. If Hertl signed an extension I think management would have been more willing to burn the elc.

in short, Hertl goes, blow it up.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I mean, BB has already had to kinda have a talk with Hertl about body language and things of that nature when things get frustrating. If we continue to slide in the standings, I'd be looking to see how Hertl is on the bench and in the locker room. Never thought I'd be concerned with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

burple

Sep 30, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think it makes any sense at all to resign Hertl. Love him completely, but this team is in a full rebuild. Look at what Columbus got for Seth Jones - Jake Bean, Adam Boqvist, Cole Sillinger, AND Chicago's first rounder this year. They got a first for Foligno and another first for Savard. That's how you rebuild a team. They have so much talent coming. The Sharks need to trade Hertl and Meyer this year - and Couture too if it's possible. Even Burns if it can be done. Eklund alone does not a rebuild make.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
I don't think it makes any sense at all to resign Hertl. Love him completely, but this team is in a full rebuild. Look at what Columbus got for Seth Jones - Jake Bean, Adam Boqvist, Cole Sillinger, AND Chicago's first rounder this year. They got a first for Foligno and another first for Savard. That's how you rebuild a team. They have so much talent coming. The Sharks need to trade Hertl and Meyer this year - and Couture too if it's possible. Even Burns if it can be done. Eklund alone does not a rebuild make.
The team won't do that though. They've made it abundantly clear they will try to make the playoffs every year.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
The team sucks, is cap strapped and has a first line winger playing in the AHL. This team is going to be shit for a while.

burple

Sep 30, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The team won't do that though. They've made it abundantly clear they will try to make the playoffs every year.

They may continue trying to make the playoffs, but, as George Orwell said:

"We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue [eg, the Sharks can be a playoff team without a rebuild], and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.”

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Adding Bordeleau and Eklund to that roster as 3C and 2LW would be really nice. They're still short two top six wingers, but Dahlen and Barabanov might be able to still fit in, maybe Labanc too. Balcers to the third line. That's a bit optimistic, to be sure, but it's plausible and hopefully reasonably effective.

Without Hertl, though, yeah, there's no way to build a contending team with these parts, and it's still only really contending under an optimistic scenario (perhaps not wildly optimistic, more like 60th percentile).
This is kind of my thinking too. Optimistic that both Eklund and Bordeleau can take spots next season but don’t think it’s much more than hopefulness.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
My view is that only Hertl and Meier should be kept in a rebuild. Everyone else not on an ELC contract is expendable. Beyond that, I think Karlsson and Reimer would be beneficial to keep. That's it.

This team needs a culture change, and a full rebuild is the best way to do that. It would be imperative to change out the GM suite at the same time. Then let the new GM decide on what the coaching and scouting looks like.

Reactions: spintops and Groo

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Adding Bordeleau and Eklund to that roster as 3C and 2LW would be really nice. They're still short two top six wingers, but Dahlen and Barabanov might be able to still fit in, maybe Labanc too. Balcers to the third line. That's a bit optimistic, to be sure, but it's plausible and hopefully reasonably effective.

Without Hertl, though, yeah, there's no way to build a contending team with these parts, and it's still only really contending under an optimistic scenario (perhaps not wildly optimistic, more like 60th percentile).

Interesting point about Bordeleau/Eklund/Dahlen/Barabanov. Right now, Dahlen and Barabanov are kind of playing the Chandler Stephenson role. In a way, this prototype seems to be the Sharks' current version of a C - shifty, good edges, good facilitator to glue together a wrecking ball RW (Kane, Meier) and a cleanup scoring LW that's playing C (Hertl, Couture).

Eklund should be an upgrade. And maybe at a minimum, Bordeleau gives them enough "pseudo Center" depth for 3 good/decent lines. Then, of course, the question becomes how they can continue upgrading in the long term - and whether it's enough to compete.

They might be projecting Robins and Gushchin into that scoring/cleanup role and Wiesblatt for the wrecking ball role. But, if a lot of money is hypothetically tied up with Couture, Kane, Hertl, Meier, then they really have to hit on these prospects. And then there's still defense and goaltending to figure out. If/when they move one of those top 4 forward contracts, that probably starts to give them some room to reimagine things up front.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I don't think it is a good idea to pencil Bordleau into the lineup, much less on the third line. Hope for the best, but manage expectations!

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think Hertl will determine the future of this team. If he does not sign and the Sharks move him at the deadline, Meier might as well go too. Hertl is the only legit top 6 center on the team. Couture needs Meier to carry him and Karlsson needs better forwards around him to finish. With Hertl gone, this only becomes more difficult. I like this years’s Meier, but I do not see him as a player you build around.

I don’t know what to make of the Kane situation. Management seemed to banish him, whether rightly or wrongly, to placate other players, especially Hertl according to various media sources. So, if Hertl goes, the Sharks lose two top 6 guys in an attempt to keep Hertl happy. Hertl’s earned the right to do what he wants, but I hope he’s not playing games by saying he might stay with no intention of staying.

In my opinion, Eklund passed the eye test. Looking at some of the fancy stats, he did not generate much of anything 5 on 5. If Hertl signed an extension I think management would have been more willing to burn the elc.

in short, Hertl goes, blow it up.
Agreed. If Hertl goes, we need to sell everyone with value.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Don’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen until the deadline.

Some have suggested the teams want to watch Kane play a few games, and then interview him, before committing to a trade. Others have said that Kane wants to be bought out, so he's firmly wielding his NTC.

Could also be a cap thing. Prorated cap number if he's acquired at the deadline, right?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I find it funny that everyone finds Kaprizov is amazing and 9M AAV is fine for him, but Timo is scoring more, is a better two way player, they’re within 60 days age of each other, but Timo has less value because he’s an RFA getting 6M AAV.

BillyCostigan

Nov 9, 2021
I find it funny that everyone finds Kaprizov is amazing and 9M AAV is fine for him, but Timo is scoring more, is a better two way player, they’re within 60 days age of each other, but Timo has less value because he’s an RFA getting 6M AAV.
Kaprizov makes players like Ryan Hartman look like superstars. Take him out of the Wild and they have a losing record, he elevates that whole team. He's going to end up top 5 in scoring. He's ridiculous.

Don't think Timo is better than him at all.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Don’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen until the deadline.

More like don't be surprised if it doesn't happen at all. It would be idiotic for a GM to acquire Kane's contract at this point, even with 50% salary retention, when everyone knows the Sharks will be forced to buy him out in the offseason if a trade can't be consummated. Even setting all the off ice stuff aside Kane is 30 years old and could easily be useless on the ice for the final 2 years of the contract. There's much less risk on every level to bid for him on a one year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad