Speculation: 2021-22 Sharks Roster Discussion part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
So since everybody came back from Covid, we've actually been a really good possession team. Since 11/13, the first game we got everybody back, the team's xGF is 54.18% which is good for 8th in the league in that span of time. So...maybe Sharks are actually good?
I thought that before the season started Sharks will be playoff team (During draft, when we didn't know Kane's issues) as I thought Bonino and improvement in goal would get team better. I think Sharks is still playoff team because they get at least average goaltending to great goaltending instead of Jones. And Karlsson and Meier is on a mission to get us in the playoffs. Meier's pace isn't even unsustainable as his on ice shot % is something like 11 and his shot % is around 13.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You’re trying too hard to be this bad at assessing hockey.

And you presumably watched enough seasons of Sharks hockey back when they were good to realize half the forwards on the current roster are barely NHL caliber let alone capable of helping a Cup contender looking for deadline reinforcements.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Timo is on pace for 109 points and 50 goals over 82 games this season.

He’s tied for 5th for PPG this year. Insane start.
The thing is, we all knew Timo was capable of being this dominant. Last year, and even in the off-season, all or most of the talk was, Timo had underperformed for whatever reason. Hes clearly taken huge steps forward in the confidence department and knows hes the Alpha scorer for the Sharks. He doesn't need permission to be that star player. He just needs to go out there and be the dominant, skilled, player we know he can be. Timo, Hertl, Karlsson, are the DUDES on this team. Dahlen is probably a season or 2 away, but I could see him being in that conversation with more NHL seasoning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And you presumably watched enough seasons of Sharks hockey back when they were good to realize half the forwards on the current roster are barely NHL caliber let alone capable of helping a Cup contender looking for deadline reinforcements.

I've been watching enough seasons to know that Barabanov is not one of those forwards that you describe. If you want to cling on to some bad assessment you've made about a player, that's on you. But it just keeps making you look silly.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
If your argument is that Barabanov doesn’t play physical enough or “playoff” hockey, fine. But he’s still a good player. If you’re looking for a peripheral playmaker he’s not a bad option. I think it’s a bit of a reach to say that no playoff team would be looking at him. Depth scoring wins in the playoffs. They don’t all have to be gritty. Plug Barabanov on a scoring third line and second power play time if you’ve got an open spot and he could help a playoff team win. We have seen enough games this year and last to see that he has playmaking skill.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Half the forwards, hmm? Meier, Couture, Dahlen, Hertl, Balcers, Barabanov, Cogliano, Bonino, Nieto, Labanc. That's 10 of 12 that are NHL caliber. The only question marks right now are Weatherby, Gadjovich, Gregor, and Pederson. Playoff teams that need great defensive forwards would take Bonino and Cogliano in a heartbeat. Balcers doesn't have the finish to be a top 6 guy but he's a solid 3rd liner. Nieto doesn't provide much offensively but is solid defensively and a good skater. Labanc despite his many flaws has a great shot, good hands, and is useful on the PP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
I wonder if the lack of top 6 forwards shooting RIGHT not left is affecting the all around playmaking? It seems there is too many lefties on this team. Labanc is the only one I can really point out as shooting right with some actual talent. Of course EK65 and Burns on defence bring that.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Labanc is getting the Donskoi treatment. Doesn't get put in a position to succeed and then everyone wonders why he isn't working out.

No. Donskoi earned what he got...

I wonder if the lack of top 6 forwards shooting RIGHT not left is affecting the all around playmaking? It seems there is too many lefties on this team. Labanc is the only one I can really point out as shooting right with some actual talent. Of course EK65 and Burns on defence bring that.

Generally, handedness is overrated... especially when it comes to the wings.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I’d take that. He fits the bottom 6 better and is cheaper and has a shorter contract. Labanc is definitely more skilled though.
The only downside if there is one is if Jake finds his game again, which is what you hope for, he’d want a contract similar to Labanc and then we’re back to hoping he can keep it up. Rather just get picks or someone more controllable.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Generally, handedness is overrated... especially when it comes to the wings.

yes and no. In certain situations, like on the Sharks umbrella PP, not having a strong right-handed shooter makes it more difficult for Karlsson and Burns to set up shooters from the Ovie spot. Right-Right one-timers are easier w/r/t puck spin. Carlson/Green and Ovie worked really well. Of course, someone like Stamkos (R) has thrived playing with lefties (marty, hedman, kuch), especially on one-timers, so it's not perfect.

Similarly, jumbo was much better at passing to righties that lefties. Think Murray, Cheechoo, Seto, Burns, Pavs, Labanc.

So, i think it does matter w/r/t player preferences and a little with physics. But the fact that the Sharks have 1 full-time forward who is a righty is probably something to consider looking into when you consider scoring/finishing is an issue for this team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
...the top of the next draft is loaded with right handed snipers which is exactly what we need both right now and in the prospect pool...

They need a foundational piece that carries play a lot more than a righty sniper that will almost by definition be a streaky player. Save that, it’s just bpa.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
They need a foundational piece that carries play a lot more than a righty sniper that will almost by definition be a streaky player. Save that, it’s just bpa.
Oh I agree. I just think getting a higher draft pick is what we need to do this season instead of finish middle of the pack and either draft 12-16 or get swept in round 1. Our strengths in the organization are on the wing and LHD, and the 2022 draft first round is loaded with centers, RHD, and RH forwards. The higher we pick the better chance we get to choose a foundational piece.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I thought that before the season started Sharks will be playoff team (During draft, when we didn't know Kane's issues) as I thought Bonino and improvement in goal would get team better. I think Sharks is still playoff team because they get at least average goaltending to great goaltending instead of Jones. And Karlsson and Meier is on a mission to get us in the playoffs. Meier's pace isn't even unsustainable as his on ice shot % is something like 11 and his shot % is around 13.

I didn't. I think I said something like they will be fighting for a playoff spot, standings wise, and likely miss.

But I must confess. It is nice to watch this team with no expectations. Fun, actually.

The only thing I fear is regression back to their old culture. I think bringing up the young guns in piecemeal fashion is one of the worst things in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA