GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS Game 6 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers 5/12/22 LA leads 3-2

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I keep thinking this too. Part of me is like this will be great experience for the kings...than I look who is in the lineup vs who the people who I think the experience will be good for are. Not saying I would not make the same lineup decisions. Just that the two thoughts do not mesh.

Great experience for our D, and for Kaliyev.

To a point, I think people really are discounting the experience as a team, just because you don't see Byfield or Vilardi playing does not mean they are not soaking up the atmosphere, in the room, in practice, in video sessions etc.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I haven't read through the thread so maybe this has been discussed but on the Canadian broadcast last night they kept talking about a coaches challenge on the Kane no goal call. Hopefully someone can clear up a few things for me on that. 1) did the whistle not blow before Kane actually put the puck in the net and 2) assuming it did or the intent was there at the same time, can you actually challenge that play? I know it's irrelevant but at the moment I was perplexed as to why they were event discussing that as an option. If the whistle blows the play is dead, right?

It's something to do with simultaneous whistle bow and the action of shooting the puck, I don't know if that was reviewable, or not, but there was a thread on the main forum about this happening a week or so ago

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I agree with you. Those players you mentioned are good pieces but not what I'd consider "core" players in the sense that Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, and Brown were. Players that drive the team vs players that support it.
Hindsight is still 20/20 on this, go look at the boards before 2012 and people were constantly questioning if Kopitar and Brown were actually first line players on a contending team.

We currently have a second line with a UFA and two prospects that is playing great.

We don't even need all the prospects to pan out, we have so many really only like one of our 1st round draft pick forwards to pan out and you can trade some for bottom depth pieces.

Reactions: WHOneedsSOX

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I was curious to, on one hand I wanted to see how it would have played out. on the other I think that goal should have counted.

I also think if you look where the Edmonton player passed thru, he was low in the crease. It's not like he was at the top or straddling the line, he basically took a shortcut almost right through Quick.

Some edmonton fans are blaming it on edler but that was a bad line out of the corner by the edmonton skater, your'e not entitled to the goalie's ice, go around.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I also think if you look where the Edmonton player passed thru, he was low in the crease. It's not like he was at the top or straddling the line, he basically took a shortcut almost right through Quick.

Some edmonton fans are blaming it on edler but that was a bad line out of the corner by the edmonton skater, your'e not entitled to the goalie's ice, go around.

I saw it as edler forced the line. Really does not matter though. Lost anyway

To a point, I think people really are discounting the experience as a team, just because you don't see Byfield or Vilardi playing does not mean they are not soaking up the atmosphere, in the room, in practice, in video sessions etc.
fair

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I saw it as edler forced the line. Really does not matter though. Lost anyway

fair

agree to disagree, my thoughts are like jacksons

I don't like when a player is that low in the crease, it's begging for that sort of call imo. Go outside Edler there and you have no issue.

Reactions: SlimCharles

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Hindsight is still 20/20 on this, go look at the boards before 2012 and people were constantly questioning if Kopitar and Brown were actually first line players on a contending team.

We currently have a second line with a UFA and two prospects that is playing great.

We don't even need all the prospects to pan out, we have so many really only like one of our 1st round draft pick forwards to pan out and you can trade some for bottom depth pieces.
I agree with you. We'll see in 2-3 years where these guys are at.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
agree to disagree, my thoughts are like jacksons

I don't like when a player is that low in the crease, it's begging for that sort of call imo. Go outside Edler there and you have no issue.

Oilers fans are complaining about a call that their own coaching staff thinks was correct. They have dominated the Kings on special teams if they thought they had any chance of getting it overturned they would have challenged.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Grundstrom has been great this playoffs. Definitely hope he gets a deal like the one Moore is on. Flip side is Lemieux has been largely disappointing. I have been critical of TMAC but it says something when the coaches play you so little, they do not trust him. Given how Edmonton seems to lose their cool alot he should be stirring shit up. He scored in what game 1, but it was maybe the weakest goal of the series. Maybe too early to start this topic but is Lemieux back?
Question mark forwards for me to be back next year are Lemieux, AA, Lias Anderson, and Vilardi.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

21Dog

Mar 29, 2007
Tulare, Ca
Went to our first game in a couple of years last night (ugh).

At the end of pregame warmups Lemieux (he was the last player on the ice) shot the puck into the net at the Oiler end of the ice. Is this his MO or was he invoking the ghosts of his old man for the playoffs? There were no Edmonton players on the ice at the time.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
I want this team to get to the 2nd round just for the experience. They may get smoked but I want them to see how tough it is each round and how hard they're going to have to work to gut out the wins if this is going to be a serious core.

It goes back to something I read in Gretzky's autobiography. #99 referenced what it was like to lose to the NYI in the 80s the first time and what he learned from it before they went on the dynasty tear.

The young core of the EDM Oilers of the 80s lost but were physically fine coming out of the dressing room post loss before leaving the building, hardly sustained a scratch, meanwhile the NYI were icing themselves, aching, struggling to walk because they dove in the corners and fought for every inch of ice out there, and they (NYI) won the Cup, EDM was playing off skill mostly and not sacrificing enough of themselves for every inch of Ice. Not insinuating this current team doesn't work hard, but I want them to get that lesson now as a young core because EDM is also not doing that and they are going into a Game 7, with 3 more teams which are no doubt going to be tougher and are going to be a harder grind in the next rounds. I think EDM is relying solely on McJesus's skill and Draisytl with him. They make a few good plays and take their foot off the gas. LA has players that have skill, but also needs to make smarter decisions in the O zone and play more aggressively. We've been saying it all along. When LA plays their game, their crazy tough to beat, but they barely woke up in Game 6 with 5 minutes to go in the 2nd and you're never gonna advance if it takes that long to start a game.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Grundstrom has been great this playoffs. Definitely hope he gets a deal like the one Moore is on. Flip side is Lemieux has been largely disappointing. I have been critical of TMAC but it says something when the coaches play you so little, they do not trust him. Given how Edmonton seems to lose their cool alot he should be stirring shit up. He scored in what game 1, but it was maybe the weakest goal of the series. Maybe too early to start this topic but is Lemieux back?
Question mark forwards for me to be back next year are Lemieux, AA, Lias Anderson, and Vilardi.

Lemeiux hasn't been the same since coming back from injury that's for sure.

At the end of pregame warmups Lemieux (he was the last player on the ice) shot the puck into the net at the Oiler end of the ice. Is this his MO or was he invoking the ghosts of his old man for the playoffs? There were no Edmonton players on the ice at the time.

That's his MO

Reactions: 21Dog and YP44

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County

I’ve seen him do it at every game I’ve been to where he’s been dressed (5 or 6).

Reactions: 21Dog and YP44

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Sadly , we no longer have Liz Habib, who no longer works at fox11, to butcher the Kings players names./ Now we have this clown from Abc7 to take her place...

Meet Sean Drooozi everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: SlimCharles

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Still waiting for Kaliyev to put one in the back of the net with his great shot. He had numerous chances in game 6 but mostly plowed the puck right in Mike Smith’s chest. No points and -2 isn’t gonna cut it.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
There you go. About time you dropped the nice guy “I’m just visiting hyuk good luck!” nonsense.
You’re right. The Kings f***ing blow, and the Oilers are gonna smoke them tomorrow so we can finally get on with the Battle of Alberta and away from this garbage series!

Lol, of course I’m kidding. I seriously do like the posters on this board and I do like the Kings. It’s not an act me being “nice” here… it’s just natural

If you do want to see a nasty side to me, come to the HF board when I’m talking to flames or Leafs fans….. or come see me after I eat spicy Mexican food. It’s not pretty

Anyway. Sorry if I offended you with the nice guy act.

Reactions: Gjwrams

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
You’re right. The Kings f***ing blow, and the Oilers are gonna smoke them tomorrow so we can finally get on with the Battle of Alberta and away from this garbage series!

Lol, of course I’m kidding. I seriously do like the posters on this board and I do like the Kings. It’s not an act me being “nice” here… it’s just natural

If you do want to see a nasty side to me, come to the HF board when I’m talking to flames or Leafs fans….. or come see me after I eat spicy Mexican food. It’s not pretty

Anyway. Sorry if I offended you with the nice guy act.
I thought I was in the main board for a second lol touche good sir

• Haha
Reactions: tardigrade81

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
They showed on the broadcast that JWill has 15 goals in potential elimination games. That's tied for the most all time. Pretty amazing.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Quick too, right?
If he plays 😭. Kopitar and Brown's undefeated record are in jeopardy though. Doughty is safe for now.

Interestingly of the former Kings that played another game 7 after leaving the Kings I think Martinez and Carter (for now) are the only ones still undefeated.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
If he plays 😭. Kopitar and Brown's undefeated record are in jeopardy though. Doughty is safe for now.

Interestingly of the former Kings that played another game 7 after leaving the Kings I think Martinez and Carter (for now) are the only ones still undefeated.
Oh yeah duh, Kopitar and Brown too haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad