GDT: 2021-22 season WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTER FINALS Game 6 LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers 5/12/22 LA leads 3-2

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings haven't lost a game 7 since 2002 when they lost to the Avs in the opening round. Correct me of I'm wrong, but I think the Kings have never lost a game 7 when leading the series 3-1 or 3-2. This all means we're losing tomorrow.
Funny thing about those Avs series, the Kings were down 3-1 to force game 7 in 2001, then did it again in 2002. Avs prevailed in spectacular fashion in both game 7s though.
Smolinski hitting the post on the wide open net in the dying moments of 2nd in that game 7 in 2001 is second only to McSorely’s stick for gut punch moments in team history.

With how that series had gone up until that point I think the Kings would have won that game 2-1 if Smolinski had scored there.

And speaking of the game changing over the years. Norstrom and Karalahti would have lived in the box in the modern game with how they defended Forsberg back in the day. That was a bad bad era for NHL hockey, in the decade before the lockout.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Smolinski hitting the post on the wide open net in the dying moments of 2nd in that game 7 in 2001 is second only to McSorely’s stick for gut punch moments in team history.

With how that series had gone up until that point I think the Kings would have won that game 2-1 if Smolinski had scored there.

And speaking of the game changing over the years. Norstrom and Karalahti would have lived in the box in the modern game with how they defended Forsberg back in the day. That was a bad bad era for NHL hockey, in the decade before the lockout.

I like to think Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen bronzed in a shadow box on his wall

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I thought I saw Quick stretching on his belly during play just when they were leaving the zone.
I don't remember when it was but I thought it was strange but nobody commented on it during the broadcast.
Hopefully its nothing.

I remember seeing that too and thought it was odd, but the camera on Sportsnet just caught a bit of it.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well, I'm not the only one who thinks it. Numerous people have ignored you. Not me, because you are capable of good content, but maybe you should change it up if people are choosing to tune you out? Again, I like a lot of what you post but I think you let GDT's get to you to much and causes to much lashing out at perceived negativity, especially when it comes to the coach.

Some of what you say does make sense, I agree, there is a lot of hypocritical takes, but that is not something unique to this forum. But this board is much more, how do I put this, "optimistic" than most forums on this site or other messageboard sites on the net.

If you get angry about what you perceive as constant negativity about a team that finished with the 15th best record in the NHL you should be thankful you don't follow Michigan football and the weekly negativity in GDT's for a team that made the college football playoff. I don't think you could have handled it.
Everyone else is the one with the problem.

You're talking to a superior fan. You should be thanking him for the opportunity to learn about how to be a real fan.

FWIW, I agree some takes about Blake and McLellan have gone too far, but that doesn't absolve them of ALL criticism. The moment anyone makes a critique, you can safely expect one of the "real fans" to:
- question the credentials and experience
- make a worthless snarky post to further rile up already angry people or to discourage them from enjoying the moment
- deliberately twist points to weaken them.

So I'm glad I've ignored those I have. I already know who you're talking to based on your response, because they are uniquely obnoxious.

I'll reiterate I think McLellan is a good but flawed coach. And the Kings organization also has some flaws that some of us (including you, I believe) feel need to be addressed sooner.

I only bring this up because they've yet to recognize why their posting is a net negative. I appreciate your effort, but judging by how they continue in spite of several people ignoring them, it simply appears they don't care.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

Peak clutch and grab era. I remember how hard it was for a lot of those guys to adjust when they made it against the rules.

Reactions: KINGS17

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah I'm wondering that also.

I keep hearing the Kings core is doing well. I don't see any clear core with upside moving forward.

Byfield isn't playing.
I keep thinking this too. Part of me is like this will be great experience for the kings...than I look who is in the lineup vs who the people who I think the experience will be good for are. Not saying I would not make the same lineup decisions. Just that the two thoughts do not mesh.

Great experience for our D, and for Kaliyev.

Reactions: johnjm22

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Oh no, are you disappointed in me?? Not sure I can live with that....

Sorry, can't stand reading this garbage after every loss. When we win, everyone is ecstatic and this is the best team in a decade...when we lose, it's time to fire everyone and whine like babies about all our prospects. Oh, another thing....breaking news, Kopitar is slower than he was in 2007.
C'mon man (in my best Biden voice), no one in here ever says this is the best Kings team in a decade after a Kings win. The truth is Edmonton is basically a two-man show, and that may be enough to beat this Kings team in a 7-game series.

Many people feel this year was a time to do some serious evaluation on the prospects by playing them more minutes in NHL games. I don't think the focus should have been on making the playoffs, but that's me. I do think the organization has gathered some valuable information from this series:

• Durzi is even a more fiery competitor and gamer than I thought. I was indifferent on keeping him long term, but I like his attitude and the rough edge with which he plays.
  • Confirmed my belief Danault should be the transitional captain for the Kings in the near future as we wait for one of the kids to distinguish themselves enough to assume that role.
  • Quick will never carry this team to another Stanley Cup (I think we already knew this, but the guy is a warrior.)
  • McLellan doesn't have the courage to sit a high-profile vet on the PP, when it is obvious it needs to happen.

That's just a few of the things I see that are going on with this team in the playoffs. If they win Game 7 against Edmonton, great we may learn even more in a series against likely Calgary.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019

Was it Smoke or Emerson? I have this memory of Emerson hitting the post when it was tied late in the 2nd, but could be mistaken. Was over 20 years ago after all.

Edit: re-watched it. Emerson tied it, Smoke hit the post with 3 seconds left.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Was it Smoke or Emerson? I have this memory of Emerson hitting the post when it was tied late in the 2nd, but could be mistaken. Was over 20 years ago after all.

Edit: re-watched it. Emerson tied it, Smoke hit the post with 3 seconds left.

Stumpel and Smolinski are the reasons why the Kings fan base breathed a giant sigh of relief when we saw what Kopitar might be capable of doing when he joined the team.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Wait, knocking the spleen out of an opposing player and mounting it on your wall is now illegal? When did this happen?

I haven't read through the thread so maybe this has been discussed but on the Canadian broadcast last night they kept talking about a coaches challenge on the Kane no goal call. Hopefully someone can clear up a few things for me on that. 1) did the whistle not blow before Kane actually put the puck in the net and 2) assuming it did or the intent was there at the same time, can you actually challenge that play? I know it's irrelevant but at the moment I was perplexed as to why they were event discussing that as an option. If the whistle blows the play is dead, right?

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I haven't read through the thread so maybe this has been discussed but on the Canadian broadcast last night they kept talking about a coaches challenge on the Kane no goal call. Hopefully someone can clear up a few things for me on that. 1) did the whistle not blow before Kane actually put the puck in the net and 2) assuming it did or the intent was there at the same time, can you actually challenge that play? I know it's irrelevant but at the moment I was perplexed as to why they were event discussing that as an option. If the whistle blows the play is dead, right?

the ref blew the whistle and automatically waived off the goal.... i was wondering if that could be challenged and i thought it odd as well

since when can you challenge a ref's no goal decision when he whistle's the play dead , that was news to me anyway

Reactions: YP44

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Well, I'm not the only one who thinks it. Numerous people have ignored you. Not me, because you are capable of good content, but maybe you should change it up if people are choosing to tune you out? Again, I like a lot of what you post but I think you let GDT's get to you to much and causes to much lashing out at perceived negativity, especially when it comes to the coach.

Some of what you say does make sense, I agree, there is a lot of hypocritical takes, but that is not something unique to this forum. But this board is much more, how do I put this, "optimistic" than most forums on this site or other messageboard sites on the net.

If you get angry about what you perceive as constant negativity about a team that finished with the 15th best record in the NHL you should be thankful you don't follow Michigan football and the weekly negativity in GDT's for a team that made the college football playoff. I don't think you could have handled it.
I think there are different types of posters who enjoy different types of discussions. Some guys have played, coached and scouted, and some are just fans. There is also a mainstream of thinking the evolves on the board.. if someone doesnt like the mainstream they can ignore it, try to challenge it reasonably or terrorize it (trolling).. it appears that is what is happening here. Trolling about incessant negativity is itself incessant negativity... by doing so, you just make yourself what you are rallying against.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I was curious to, on one hand I wanted to see how it would have played out. on the other I think that goal should have counted.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
I can understand that when we think of "core" one can think of a goalie and a center and a top d man, so yeah the Kings don't have a young core that they are showing off here.

But the surge of Moore, Grundstrom, and the ability of Kaliyev and Lizzotte to keep pace on the lower lines, as well a the steadiness on the back end with Roy, Anderson, and Durzi (relatively) are pieces to feel good about going forward. We don't have our young stars going just yet, but the solid role players building up are there.

No further do you need to look to then Edmonton's role players to see what it means to have tool box players that can compete, don't fold under pressure, etc.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Also, even for our would be stars, it's good for them to see, up close, what it takes to win in playoffs, what the atmosphere is like. I would hope that Byfield looks at the success of Moore, Danult, etc. and understands the importance that he grow into his frame, build his strength, and use his reach and leverage as it should be going forward.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I can understand that when we think of "core" one can think of a goalie and a center and a top d man, so yeah the Kings don't have a young core that they are showing off here.

But the surge of Moore, Grundstrom, and the ability of Kaliyev and Lizzotte to keep pace on the lower lines, as well a the steadiness on the back end with Roy, Anderson, and Durzi (relatively) are pieces to feel good about going forward. We don't have our young stars going just yet, but the solid role players building up are there.

No further do you need to look to then Edmonton's role players to see what it means to have tool box players that can compete, don't fold under pressure, etc.
I agree with you. Those players you mentioned are good pieces but not what I'd consider "core" players in the sense that Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, and Brown were. Players that drive the team vs players that support it.

Reactions: KINGS17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad