GDT: 2021-22 season game 43 LA Kings vs New York Rangers @4:00pm 1/24/22

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I'm no fan of the coach but the team's progressing under him and I'd like to think that's not entirely in spite of him. I really don't get the complaining about him ad naseum. After last season I was wondering if they needed to rebuild the rebuild but I think at this point it's clear we've got some assets to build around. I do think if Kopitar and Doughty were given less ice time and some younger guys were given more opportunity we'd be looking at a net positive but I have no complaints about where the team sits at this point in the season. That said, I'm still waiting for the rug to be pulled out from underneath us at some point. That just means I'm a real Kings fan.

Oh and Brown needs to be benched or given 10 mins a game max. Preferably the former but that's wishful thinking at best.

I feel the same way about him. I don't necessarily think he's the answer, but the hate is kind of overboard. He's done a lot of things right. He's got them playing well, he's got the players believing in themselves. We are starting to see them develop an identity. The team is on a pace for over 90 points with probably the lightest schedule for the rest of the year. And all that while a lot of younger players are getting looks and gaining experience.

Putting young kids out there for heavy minutes is rarely a good idea, so we shouldn't be surprised when they get limited minutes. This has been shown time and time again, very few players can handle it right away. I think TM's handling of the younger guys has been fine when they are on the roster, he's shown more confidence in them than most coaches would. His weakness is managing veteran ice time. If he keeps Brown's numbers down where they are and can dial back a bit on Kopitar and Doughty, I think the team is going to be in good shape going forward.

What I don't want to see is a bunch of young guys getting a bunch of ice time in situations they aren't ready for. All players learn from mistakes, but they can also be damaging to young player's confidence if it causes the team to lose games. Other teams put out their best as much as they can, so an increase in ice team means tougher matchups. The Oilers had a ridiculously stacked organization but haven't done shit because this is exactly what they did. It doesn't work no matter how good our prospect pool is. Just give them an extra shift or two to help with reducing ice time for the older guys and let them grow.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
How much of pp personnel decisions is based off monetary contracts or seniority influence?

Try something different please?

It is not working and hasn’t for some time.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I feel the same way about him. I don't necessarily think he's the answer, but the hate is kind of overboard. He's done a lot of things right. He's got them playing well, he's got the players believing in themselves. We are starting to see them develop an identity. The team is on a pace for over 90 points with probably the lightest schedule for the rest of the year. And all that while a lot of younger players are getting looks and gaining experience.

Putting young kids out there for heavy minutes is rarely a good idea, so we shouldn't be surprised when they get limited minutes. This has been shown time and time again, very few players can handle it right away. I think TM's handling of the younger guys has been fine when they are on the roster, he's shown more confidence in them than most coaches would. His weakness is managing veteran ice time. If he keeps Brown's numbers down where they are and can dial back a bit on Kopitar and Doughty, I think the team is going to be in good shape going forward.

What I don't want to see is a bunch of young guys getting a bunch of ice time in situations they aren't ready for. All players learn from mistakes, but they can also be damaging to young player's confidence if it causes the team to lose games. Other teams put out their best as much as they can, so an increase in ice team means tougher matchups. The Oilers had a ridiculously stacked organization but haven't done shit because this is exactly what they did. It doesn't work no matter how good our prospect pool is. Just give them an extra shift or two to help with reducing ice time for the older guys and let them grow.
I mean, I think Blake discussed much of these decisions in his interview with Hoven. Seems like us fans are cyclical with these issues.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
How much of pp personnel decisions is based off monetary contracts or seniority influence?

Try something different please?

It is not working and hasn’t for some time.

The PP is maddening. They are much better at getting in the zone this year, but they sorely lack front net presence and it's too easy for the other team to cover the slot. Brown is the only one that plants himself in front of the net, which is probably why he's out there. I'd rather them put Kopitar in front regardless of how he's done it for the past 10+ years. I remember when SJ started planting Thornton there, it was quite effective. Kopitar usually doesn't do shit when he's on the half-wall anyways.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
SO...

For better or for worse... I am not a "reporter".

As has been correctly observed here multiple times... most of the people that regularly show up to cover the team are either team employees, Bally's employees, team "partners" or people with close working relationships with team "partners".

So what's to be done about the myriad questions fans would love to know the answers to?

If you can phrase a question you want asked in a way that wouldn't be inappropriate or out of line for a team employee to ask... I will happily ask it.
I think given your respective roles/positions you guys do a fine job. I’d like to see some more direct grilling on certain things but fully understand that’s not what you are there to do. That needs to be the Athletic or the LA times IMO.

I once tried to tow the line between being the club stats guy and writing for the local paper, at a very different p, much lower level when it was just Semi-pro in the uk. I failed miserably as even at that level it was too great a conflict and whilst well intended I succeeded only in annoying people so I gave up the reporting because I was very good at stats and very, very, very bad at the reporting :laugh:.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
"Let's rinse and repeat and keep trying the same strategy over and over again."

Seeing them struggle to gain the offensive blueline and repeatedly fail to even get set up for a shot on goal with the man-advantage is excruciating to watch, and it's just as bad when they fail to cover cross seam passes when killing penalties.

Zero killer instinct.

5 games, 5 first period penalties, 5 pp goals against, 4 out of the 5 were cross seem passes that were just blasted in. Our pk is losing us games more than the pp. At least we didn't give up a shorty. Still didn't like the major call, and thought it should've been 4. Just a kick in the balls that they score with .5 seconds in the 1st. They looked like they were playing for a tied most of the 3rd, even on the pp.

The difference between that post and the ones preceding it is just intensity level and reaction to expectations no?

I'm not sure if you're referring to me but I'll assume it was directed at me.

I'm not sure what people expected this year so I can't speak to that but the bar was set very low for me and that's been exceeded so far. That doesn't absolve criticism by any means.

I don't post much so I wasn't aware you're a liason in some capacity. You could ask the coach about Kopitar and Doughty's ice time but I'm willing to bet I know the answer.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
They looked like they were playing for a tied most of the 3rd, even on the pp.
This is what I keep saying about the coach. He coaches not to lose against teams that are high in the standings. He will never win anything this way. I dont know if he doesnt believe in the team as much or what but hes cost them 3-4 games this year by his personnel/strategy decisions when the game could have been closed out properly.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'm not sure if you're referring to me but I'll assume it was directed at me.

I'm not sure what people expected this year so I can't speak to that but the bar was set very low for me and that's been exceeded so far. That doesn't absolve criticism by any means.

I don't post much so I wasn't aware you're a liason in some capacity. You could ask the coach about Kopitar and Doughty's ice time but I'm willing to bet I know the answer.

It was more directed at everybody. Your observations lined up with a lot of observations I've seen from lots of other people you just didn't seem as upset about it. Happiness is measured by expectation etc.

Which suggests to me that, unsurprisingly, this perceived conflict is probably more about the people in it and how they chose to communicate and interpret communication than the issues being discussed.

and I'm a team employee... just like saying it sometimes

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was more directed at everybody. Your observations lined up with a lot of observations I've seen from lots of other people you just didn't seem as upset about it. Happiness is measured by expectation etc.

Which suggests to me that, unsurprisingly, this perceived conflict is probably more about the people in it and how they chose to communicate and interpret communication than the issues being discussed.

I look at it this way: there are results expectations and there are process expectations.

If we're looking at results only, I think MOST here will agree this season is progress and even I am generally happy about where they are in the standings at this point and how collectively they are trending up. I personally expected a TOTAL black hole season in the 80s which is still possible, but trending towawrds a high 80s-90s point season and playoff spot battle I would consider a success.

However, it's the process I think we're all in disagreement on, i.e. player usage and growth, vision, development, Reign, what's next.

In that case just let your superiors know we're coming with pitchforks and we mean business.

Reactions: kingsfan28

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Let's just get right to the point to satisfy the curiosity of the HFBoards fanbase: What's more important to the organization, player development or overall team success (i.e winning games)?

I don't know and feel relatively certain nobody would answer that question if directly asked.

Also it would make me intensely unpopular.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I don't know and feel relatively certain nobody would answer that question if directly asked.

Also it would make me intensely unpopular.

It would be amazing if the Kings made the playoffs, and they did it with the following players seeing a lot of time on the roster throughout the season:

Byfield
Turcotte
Kupari
Kaliyev
Durzi
Grundstrom
Anderson
Bjornfot

This definitely proves the Kings are not down with playing the kids...

Reactions: lumbergh

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'm surprised the Lemieux boarding didn't generate any real noise on the main boards.

For once everyone agreed it wasn't that big of a deal . The injury [ if that little cut on his nose from his visor counts] got him the five which I still think was bs. If you turn like that into the hit, you're gonna get crunched.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad