Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Thread PART II(CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm wondering how Ottawa can be ranked so low

From what I understand their last couple drafts have been considered bad by the pundits, they got a ton of shit for taking Tyler Kleven in the 2nd round for example. I don't really know (nor do I care enough to really analyze it) but they do seem to have gone "gritty" in their approach in the draft lately. Also, a lot of their young talent has graduated, so it's natural for the prospect base to take a hit as a result.

Reactions: Alienblood

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
From what I understand their last couple drafts have been considered bad by the pundits, they got a ton of shit for taking Tyler Kleven in the 2nd round for example. I don't really know (nor do I care enough to really analyze it) but they do seem to have gone "gritty" in their approach in the draft lately. Also, a lot of their young talent has graduated, so it's natural for the prospect base to take a hit as a result.
Even with a couple of poor drafts by the pundits' standards it'd still crazy that they'd be that low, even for just the sheer volume of picks they've had. I do agree that some of their picks have been quite surprising though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
unless something egregious happens on training camp, Meyers is a lock to start the season with the Avs, no? either on 3rd or 4th line.
He’s waiver exempt, you never know. He’s gonna have to have a good camp. I thought he was a little lethargic at dev camp, which I totally get is not the place to evaluate someone for the NHL roster but Bednar is obsessed with compete level so he’s gotta bring it starting in rookie camp.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I feel like folks on here have cooled on Newhook more than I have...despite having been higher on him than me initially...but man would it have been sweet if Zegras, Boldy, Podkolzin, or Knight had made it to 16 instead.
I think Newhook can be a really good top six player. He's 21 years old and played down the lineup most of his career with the Avs thus far. I don't think he'll be a superstar but I think 50-60 points is a reality for Newy. People expect players to immediately jump in and be superstars for some reason.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Newhook can be a really good top six player. He's 21 years old and played down the lineup most of his career with the Avs thus far. I don't think he'll be a superstar but I think 50-60 points is a reality for Newy. People expect players to immediately jump in and be superstars for some reason.
If scoring stays up and he ends up a top 6er for us, I still expect him to have a few season over 70pts...which seems to put me in the minority on here...but still, I'm nowhere near as hyped as I'd be if we had one of those other forward prospects I mentioned instead.

Granted, at the time of that draft, I wanted to use #4 on Zegras...initially Podkolzin, but by draft time Zegras had moved to the top of my list...and then to look for a blueliner at 16, so it's probably best that the FO didn't listen to me given that Bo has already proven me to be wrong about him :laugh:

...although with Toews surpassing expectations, maybe Zegras would've been the way to go lol

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I feel like folks on here have cooled on Newhook more than I have...despite having been higher on him than me initially...but man would it have been sweet if Zegras, Boldy, Podkolzin, or Knight had made it to 16 instead.

One spot away from Caufield. That's what really hurts. He'll score 50 goals some year down the road.

Reactions: McMetal

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
One spot away from Caufield. That's what really hurts. He'll score 50 goals some year down the road.

I was really high on him too, but not quite as high as Zegras / Podkolzin / Boldy.

E:
Though henchy sold me on Zegras by draft day, I loved Pod almost as much as I loved Landy back in the day...and I started this account to campaign for us to tank for Landy despite having just made the playoffs :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

No mention of Caufield? :sarcasm:

It'll be interesting to see who becomes the better player out of Krebs and Newhook. Personally I think this is a very big offseason for Newhook and the upcoming season will determine his future on the Avs.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No mention of Caufield? :sarcasm:

It'll be interesting to see who becomes the better player out of Krebs and Newhook. Personally I think this is a very big offseason for Newhook and the upcoming season will determine his future on the Avs.

Re: Caufield, check the post right above you ;-)

As for your second point; I wasn't as high on Newhook as some, but I was a lot higher on him than Krebs.

Just never saw top 6 skill/creativity from Krebs the way I did Newhook or any of the forwards ahead of him that I did love. Smart kid & really good skater, but I didn't see a likely scoring liner so much as a middle-6 prospect whose ceiling was more in line with Meyers' than Newhook's.

Last edited:

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I was really high on him too, but not quite as high as Zegras / Podkolzin / Boldy.

E:
Though henchy sold me on Zegras by draft day, I loved Pod almost as much as I loved Landy back in the day...and I started this account to campaign for us to tank for Landy despite having just made the playoffs :laugh:

Anderson + Zibanejad for Elliott + Landeskog
Greg Sherman’s genius setting us up for the cup win all those years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad