Prospect Info: 2021-22 Prospect Thread PART II(CHL, NCAA, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
@henchman24 I think he has a better offensive upside/puck skills than Graves. I’m intrigued to see how Barron looks in playoffs as he’s far from physical, but I haven’t seen if he shoes aways from playoff type of contact. If he can handle that, I think a more skilled Graves is a good comparison.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
@henchman24 I think he has a better offensive upside/puck skills than Graves. I’m intrigued to see how Barron looks in playoffs as he’s far from physical, but I haven’t seen if he shoes aways from playoff type of contact. If he can handle that, I think a more skilled Graves is a good comparison.

If he has better offensive skills, it isn't by much. Graves has a much, much better shot without a doubt and has better hands. Other areas may tilt to Barron. I wouldn't say there is much difference though.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Cronin has had success with helping Dmen make the jump into the NHL in the past, including: Pelech; Pulock; Mayfield; Toews; and De Haan with NYI, and more recently with Graves, Timmins, and to a lesser extent Kyle Burroughs. Hopefully some of those experience and coaching can help Barron reach his ceiling as well.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Cronin has had success with helping Dmen make the jump into the NHL in the past, including: Pelech; Pulock; Mayfield; Toews; and De Haan with NYI, and more recently with Graves, Timmins, and to a lesser extent Kyle Burroughs. Hopefully some of those experience and coaching can help Barron reach his ceiling as well.
Nah he's moron and the Eagles can't developed anyone according to some "experts".

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't see what others see in Annunen apparently...

Not saying he's necessarily awesome but probably a better prospect than guys like Steinburg, Beaucage, Kaut & Foudy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't see what others see in Annunen apparently...

Not saying he's necessarily awesome but probably a better prospect than guys like Steinburg, Beaucage, Kaut & Foudy.
Foudy I’d spar on, but the others I wouldn’t debate.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If he has better offensive skills, it isn't by much. Graves has a much, much better shot without a doubt and has better hands. Other areas may tilt to Barron. I wouldn't say there is much difference though.
I would argue that Barron has much higher overall intelligence and is a much better defender when it comes to decisions with the puck. I do think he does have a cap of that IQ, but is less prone at mistakes with the puck than Graves was. However, I do not like Graves so I might be selling short at certain points, but I do agree his shot is way better and is better adapted towards the physical game than Barron is.

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I would argue that Barron has much higher overall intelligence and is a much better defender when it comes to decisions with the puck. I do think he does have a cap of that IQ, but is less prone at mistakes with the puck than Graves was. However, I do not like Graves so I might be selling short at certain points, but I do agree his shot is way better and is better adapted towards the physical game than Barron is.
How would you rate Barron's PK game vs Graves?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
How would you rate Barron's PK game vs Graves?
Pros and cons for each one. Graves would shot-block much more and try to hit people out there, but would have some absolutely awful reads like leaving the backdoor play up. Barron is more like Toews on the PK, more cerebral with an active stick, but doesn't really a lot of physicality nor shot-blocking in his game.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Pros and cons for each one. Graves would shot-block much more and try to hit people out there, but would have some absolutely awful reads like leaving the backdoor play up. Barron is more like Toews on the PK, more cerebral with an active stick, but doesn't really a lot of physicality nor shot-blocking in his game.
That is my impression as well, though I think Graves did improve with his active stick compared to when he started, and had some really great PK shifts at opportune times. Hopefully Barron can learn to use his size a bit more in combination with his active stick too as he'll need to be leaned on for PK duty on this team.

Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Graves’ stick was coached out of him by Pratt… his early shifts on the PK were so much better than his last.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Foudy I’d spar on, but the others I wouldn’t debate.

Foudy is MY "I don't see what others see in him" guy.

Ever since junior, it's very clear - he's a great skater and can handle the puck extremely well but I don't find he has the playmaking ability to be a Top-6 guy. I think he's the type of player that should be able to adapt his game to become a strong PK and utility player but I've never seen much else with this player. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out much better than that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Foudy is MY "I don't see what others see in him" guy.

Ever since junior, it's very clear - he's a great skater and can handle the puck extremely well but I don't find he has the playmaking ability to be a Top-6 guy. I think he's the type of player that should be able to adapt his game to become a strong PK and utility player but I've never seen much else with this player. I hope I'm wrong and he turns out much better than that.
I think he’s a sure thing bottom 6 guy who can become a great 3rd liner. Top 6 takes some development and may never come… but he has some skill I think could get there. I don’t think we see them as that far apart. I just may value a bottom 6 guy higher than a backup (at best) goalie.

In a different way of saying this… the Avs’ system is rather thin if either are top 10 guys. :help:

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think he’s a sure thing bottom 6 guy who can become a great 3rd liner. Top 6 takes some development and may never come… but he has some skill I think could get there. I don’t think we see them as that far apart. I just may value a bottom 6 guy higher than a backup (at best) goalie.

In a different way of saying this… the Avs’ system is rather thin if either are top 10 guys. :help:

Foudy reminds me a bit of John Mitchell in the way that he can control and keep puck possession. I haven't seen him in a while though so I'll be interested in seeing how he's developed recently.

Annunen I think is a bit early to call him a career backup especially for a goaltender. I've always seen him as an unspectacular blocking style goalie in the mold of a guy like Corey Crawford. Pretty sure not a lot of people would have guessed he'd have the career he ended up having after his 1st year pro either.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Foudy reminds me a bit of John Mitchell in the way that he can control and keep puck possession. I haven't seen him in a while though so I'll be interested in seeing how he's developed recently.

Annunen I think is a bit early to call him a career backup especially for a goaltender. I've always seen him as an unspectacular blocking style goalie in the mold of a guy like Corey Crawford. Pretty sure not a lot of people would have guessed he'd have the career he ended up having after his 1st year pro either.
I don’t see even enough athletic ability to be Crawford… he looks worse than Werner to me in most areas (much better at puck tracking that may make a difference).

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I don’t see even enough athletic ability to be Crawford… he looks worse than Werner to me in most areas (much better at puck tracking that may make a difference).

The lack of agility and quickness combined with how aggressive the Avs want their goalies to play is concerning in regards to Annunen. If he can't physically keep up to the play he's only ever going to be at best this years JoJo. With the way the Avs play defensively as well Annunen is going to look noticeably behind the play. The Avs either need to try to get Annunen to replicate the way Smith/Lundqvist played close to the goal line or he's going to have to find a way to become more explosive at least.

Reactions: henchman21

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The lack of agility and quickness combined with how aggressive the Avs want their goalies to play is concerning in regards to Annunen. If he can't physically keep up to the play he's only ever going to be at best this years JoJo. With the way the Avs play defensively as well Annunen is going to look noticeably behind the play. The Avs either need to try to get Annunen to replicate the way Smith/Lundqvist played close to the goal line or he's going to have to find a way to become more explosive at least.
Yeah I feel JoJo is basically what he will be. A 3, but a 3 you never want to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad