Trois-Rivières Lions 2021-22 Lions de Trois-Rivières

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I’m curious to see if Joel Bouchard as word to say in this hire ? He coach again a lot of the candidates and he is well connected in the QMJHL. On there thing is that they need to have a good communication for thé call up

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
As of next season, Montreal will have their two affiliates in Quebec. One in Laval (20KM away) and one in Trois-Rivières (140KM away).

It will make it so much easier to move players around. And it also opens the door for many Quebec players who would be coming out of junior and could get started on a pro career.

I truly hope they focus on giving roster spots to players with the highest chance of impact instead of where they were born. I don’t think any other teams sign minor league players based on whether they are local - and the team would be sending a message that ‘Quebec Hockey’ is more important than winning. So sick of this Quebec appeasement BS with the Canadiens.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
3 years too much. What has Trois-Rivières proven at the NHL level?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Would Gilles Bouchard, go back down a level to be head coach though?

Why not. Alain Vigneault went back to Junior to climb back up to the NHL after his stint with the Habs. JJ Daigneault is back in the 'Q after being a successful assistant coach in the NHL for nearly a decade.

Tourigny went back to Junior after being an assistant in the NHL for 4-5 years.

Bouchard might like the opportunity to be back in the province, closer to his family. Getting a shot with the Habs affiliate is also a big opportunity for scrutiny.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I truly hope they focus on giving roster spots to players with the highest chance of impact instead of where they were born. I don’t think any other teams sign minor league players based on whether they are local - and the team would be sending a message that ‘Quebec Hockey’ is more important than winning. So sick of this Quebec appeasement BS with the Canadiens.

Clearly you don't understand how an ECHL team is made up. Most of the players (95%) will never skate on an NHL rink. I'd bet a lot of teams are built through local ranks...

Reactions: Mandala

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why not. Alain Vigneault went back to Junior to climb back up to the NHL after his stint with the Habs. JJ Daigneault is back in the 'Q after being a successful assistant coach in the NHL for nearly a decade.

Bouchard might like the opportunity to be back in the province, closer to his family. Getting a shot with the Habs affiliate is also a big opportunity for scrutiny.

They did after being fired though. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I guess we'll see.

MAB did mention he wanted TR to be the step between junior and pro hockey and the candidate wouldn't need a lot of pro experience. This leads me to believes he wants a coach from the QMJHL or QJHL ( less likely QMAAA).

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

And he coach the Estacades de Trois Rivières for a longtime

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
They did after being fired though. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. I guess we'll see.

MAB did mention he wanted TR to be the step between junior and pro hockey and the candidate wouldn't need a lot of pro experience. This leads me to believes he wants a coach from the QMJHL or QJHL ( less likely QMAAA).

If he wanted to move, Potvin would already be in the Q.

Reactions: Vachon23

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I know what you're saying. And I don't disagree with you. But the ECHL isn't filled with the NHL team's prospects. There are a number of them. The rest of the roster is made up of players on AHL/ECHL deals. And if they want to attract the fanbase, they need to feel like this is a team they can identify with.

I also wasn't saying the team needs to be full of Quebec-born players. But we'd be fools if we didn't think this affiliation wasn't made with an intention of giving players coming out of local universities or QMJHL an opportunity to get their pro careers started.

The fans this team will attract follows the Q. So it would definitely help sell tickets if they see some of the kids they've followed for years sign with the organization and they can come watch them play.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

A team without QC players would most likely fail in TR, even if it's relatively successful. Of course it's never going to be a full QC team, but having at least 4-5 QC guys would go a long way. Every year, there's several Q players that end up in the ECHL and are decent to successful. Having a team in TR would be a great way to attract the Alex Belzile, Alex Burrows or David Desharnais type of player that would most likely love to start their pro career in QC rather than Cincinnati or Gwinnett.

The first mandate of MAB is to make sure the team survive in TR. Having star QC players is the easiest way. Hopefully they can get guys like Olivier Archambault, Alex Breton, Samuel Asselin and Marc-Olivier Roy who are all very good ECHL players.

Getting players like Shawn Element, Cédric Desruisseaux, Mathieu Desgagnés and Félix-Antoine Marcotty as rookies would also help. Of course, they can also sign from guys the OHL, WHL and NCAA but those guys are going to be harder to attract.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They should 100% load up on local kids, the only position that I would really care about is in net as we need to see how the goalie position unfolds for next season as Dichow at this point has no team to play for although they could just opt to leave him in the Euro leagues. But having a 5th goalie in the ECHL is the main thing I'm concerned about as you want him to get the bulk of the starts, whoever it is.

It's not like we would be sending many prospects there next year depending on who they sign.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So while we wait to get TR's name and logo over the course of the next few months, some ECHL teams that opted out this year have released their home openers for next year, in October.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I decided to do some research and find as many ''realistic'' options for Trois-Rivières next year. Most of the names here fall into one of these categories: Former Blainville-Boisbriand Armada players (let's get the band back together!), Former Univ. Trois-Rivières players, guys born in Quebec, guys that played in the QMJHL, etc

Some of these are probably already under contract (or committed) for next year like Element...

FORWARDS
Xavier Simoneau - might be too good to go back to the QMJHL
Maxime St-Cyr - is from the Trois-Rivières area
Shawn Element - one of the best overager in the QMJHL, is from the Trois-Rivières area
Luke Henman - former Carolina draft pick, BLB player
Cédric Desruisseaux - is dominating the Q right now, is from the Trois-Rivières area
Samuel Houde - former Montreal draft pick
Felix Robert - has played in AHL/ECHL
Alex-Olivier Voyer - has played in AHL
Cedric Pare - has payed in ECHL
Matthew Boucher - has played in the ECHL
Kevin Domingue - has played in the ECHL
Samuel Dove-McFalls
Nicolas Guay
Julien Tessier - univ. of TR
Simon Lafrance - univ. of TR
Jordan Martel - univ. of TR
Mathieu Boucher - univ. of TR
Samuel L'Italien - univ. of TR
Tyler Hylland - former BLB Armada
Yvan Mongo - former BLB Armada
Morgan Adams-Moisan - former BLB Armada, has played in ECHL
Philippe Sanche - former BLB Armada
Alex Katerinakis - former BLB Armada, has played in ECHL
Marc-Olivier Roy - former BLB Armada, has played in ECHL, former EDM draft pick
Christopher Clapperton - former BLB Armada, has played in ECHL

DEFENSEMEN
Nikolas Brouillard - has played in AHL
Xavier Bouchard - is from TR, former Vegas draft pick
Justin Bergeron
Olivier Crete-Belzile
Dominic Talbot-Tassi
Carl Neill
Pascal Corbeil - has played with BLB
Kyle Havlena - has played with BLB
Tobie Paquette-Bisson - former BLB Armada, has played in ECHL/AHL
Nathanael Halbert - former BLB Armada, has played in ECHL/AHL
TJ Melancon - has played with BLB, has played in ECHL/AHL
Guillaume Beaudoin - has played with BLB, univ. of TR
Loik Leveille - univ. of TR

GOALIES
Samuel Hlavaj - one of the best Q goalies these past few years
Alexis Gravel - former Chicago draft pick
Alexis Shank - one of the best Q goalies these past few years
Emile Samson - former BLB Armada
Etienne Marcoux - former BLB Armada, has played in ECHL/AHL
Sebastien Auger - univ. of TR
Matthew Welsh
Tristan Berube

Don't hesitate to add more names!

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From your list, there are names the organization is familiar with.

Of course, Sam Houde was a former pick that Habs opted not to sign.

There are also Etienne Marcoux, Morgan Adams-Moissan, and TJ Melancon, who were under AHL/ECHL contracts with Laval at some point.

Tobie Bisson & Nathanael Halbert are currently under contract with Laval. Bisson is in the line-up now every game since Ouellet was called up to Montreal.

And Alexis Shank has been invited to Habs's development camps and rookie camps before. It's possible some other names have been invited to some of the camps, too, but they don't jump out at me.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Who do you guys think could be on Trois-Rivières next year from the Habs org? It seems only Leguerrier would be a candidate, if he signs. Maybe Fairbrother? Most of the others should be in the AHL.

I think my favourites from the list are Yvan Mongo and Christopher Clapperton, both were great with the Armada and have had great success in USports. They could be first liners for this team and Joel Bouchard knows them very well.

Cedric Desruisseaux and Shawn Element, of course, being from the area, and being proven talent, could also be top-6 talent right from the get go.

Felix Robert would be an amazing signing too, but I think he might stick in the AHL from now on. Matthew Boucher, the son of former NHLer Phillipe Boucher, would also probably be solid for the top-6 up front.

On defense, it seems like we could be set with Leguerrier, Fairbrother, Paquette-Bisson and Halbert, and maybe Melancon. I would love to see Nikolas Brouillard join, though he may stick in the AHL. Xavier Bouchard, son of Gilles Bouchard (Syracuse assistant coach) is from the area and would be a solid get, former Vegas draft pick. I would also love to see Guillaume Beaudoin, former Armada and Univ. of Trois-Rivières player, join as a depth dman.

In net, I remember Sebastien Auger being lights out for Saint John, and he played with Univ. Trois-Rivières, and Marcoux makes a lot of sense too, of course. They would be a solid duo. I wonder if Demchenko, Dobes or Dichow could be on this team next year?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Who do you guys think could be on Trois-Rivières next year from the Habs org? It seems only Leguerrier would be a candidate, if he signs. Maybe Fairbrother? Most of the others should be in the AHL.

I think my favourites from the list are Yvan Mongo and Christopher Clapperton, both were great with the Armada and have had great success in USports. They could be first liners for this team and Joel Bouchard knows them very well.

Cedric Desruisseaux and Shawn Element, of course, being from the area, and being proven talent, could also be top-6 talent right from the get go.

Felix Robert would be an amazing signing too, but I think he might stick in the AHL from now on. Matthew Boucher, the son of former NHLer Phillipe Boucher, would also probably be solid for the top-6 up front.

On defense, it seems like we could be set with Leguerrier, Fairbrother, Paquette-Bisson and Halbert, and maybe Melancon. I would love to see Nikolas Brouillard join, though he may stick in the AHL. Xavier Bouchard, son of Gilles Bouchard (Syracuse assistant coach) is from the area and would be a solid get, former Vegas draft pick. I would also love to see Guillaume Beaudoin, former Armada and Univ. of Trois-Rivières player, join as a depth dman.

In net, I remember Sebastien Auger being lights out for Saint John, and he played with Univ. Trois-Rivières, and Marcoux makes a lot of sense too, of course. They would be a solid duo. I wonder if Demchenko, Dobes or Dichow could be on this team next year?

He's a good candidate to be the coach to

Reactions: NA Scouting

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Habs may be able to sign more of their prospects since some will be able to be sent to the ECHL.

Dobes next year is heading to the NCAA, where he'll play for Ohio State University.

Dichow is interesting. He was signed to play in Sudbury in the OHL this year, but with everything going on, the OHL season is either never going to happen or will start really late. And who knows if he'll even bother coming over here from Europe at this point. So Habs may end up signing him to play in the ECHL next year. Wouldn't mind seeing that in the least.

Demchenko will also be interesting to see what they do with him. There is a good chance Allen is taken by Seattle. Lindgren is a UFA this off-season. So who knows if he will re-sign with Habs or opt to test the market (or even be used in a trade). So it will be curious if Habs choose to extend Demchenko.

The guy has already said when he signed that he's open to playing in the ECHL if it's what it takes to climb his way up to the NHL. Unfortunately this year, a lot of ECHL teams opted out of the season. So Laval has been forced to run with 3 goalies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Habs may be able to sign more of their prospects since some will be able to be sent to the ECHL.

Dobes next year is heading to the NCAA, where he'll play for Ohio State University.

Dichow is interesting. He was signed to play in Sudbury in the OHL this year, but with everything going on, the OHL season is either never going to happen or will start really late. And who knows if he'll even bother coming over here from Europe at this point. So Habs may end up signing him to play in the ECHL next year. Wouldn't mind seeing that in the least.

Demchenko will also be interesting to see what they do with him. There is a good chance Allen is taken by Seattle. Lindgren is a UFA this off-season. So who knows if he will re-sign with Habs or opt to test the market (or even be used in a trade). So it will be curious if Habs choose to extend Demchenko.

The guy has already said when he signed that he's open to playing in the ECHL if it's what it takes to climb his way up to the NHL. Unfortunately this year, a lot of ECHL teams opted out of the season. So Laval has been forced to run with 3 goalies.

the ohl said no Euros this year, if they even have a season. I don't know if that was official but that was right around the time we heard that Dichow would be staying for the rest of the year. Since he has no team to play for it would make sense to put him in the ECHL, although since he's played so little they might want to see if he can maybe catch on with a team in Allsvenskan or a year or two since he won't have to be signed.

There are a few NCAA goalies I would be looking at. Dryden McKay, Adam Scheel, Jaxson Stauber.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad