Line Combos: 2021-22 lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
We basically have five (5) players for three (3) remaining roster spots: Drouin, Byron, Perry, Lehkonen, Poehling.

Paquette and Belzile are extras. Paquette being most probable backup plan if Perry doesn't come back, which would be quite ashame. Love want he brings to this team!

Let's hope that Perry is still drinking the cool-aid, that leaves two (2) spots for four (4) players: Drouin, Byron, Lehkonen, Poehling. Of which, Byron and Lehkonen have been very serviceable.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Hoffman - KK - Anderson
_____ - _____ - Gally
Armia - Evans - Perry

Things to consider:

Cap space: will need some sooner (Suzuki, Caufield) than later making Drouin and Byron primary targets for trade or buyout.
Role: We need to fill our bottom 6 which is aligned with all remaining players to the exception of Drouin.
Gally: Natural consequences are pushing him down the roster at a hefty AAV. I have a hard time believing I'll score at a pace of 25+ goals in years to come.
Chemistry: Poehling needs to break in, give it time. Byron and Lehkonen can both play with Gally. Drouin and Gally on the other hand...
Health: Both Drouin and Byron are more prone to injuries. This lessens their value. This can also be expected of Gally in the future. Evans is one hit away from becoming Weird Al Yankovic 2.0
KK: What will he become? A 2C or 3C. Either way still a great asset, but is detrimental to our needs up the middle. Neither Evans or Peohling, if he is to center a line, are to be slotted in the top 6.

Bottom line: a lot of uncertaincy and low expectations on trade returns. We need a 3rd line pivot that can maintain Gally's production, which we had and lost.

What I was hoping for:
Hoffman - KK - Anderson
Armia - Danault- Gally
Poehling - Evans - Perry

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Thanks for sharing that site. Great data. Does is show how much time he spent with Toffoli?

I'd still keep those lines though ;)
Tyler Toffoli - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

There might be better ones, but that’s one.

also, if looking at early season results, I’d consider sticking Armia with them instead of Jo. Toffoli and Armia had good chemistry. They were scoring together short handed vs canucks. Also looked good later on with Suzuki in the middle.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'm sure I heard during the playoffs that KK had more assists than any other center and they played on the same line when Toffoli was lighting up the Nucks. I'd be curious to see where can we look this up.

KK was with Toffoli for the first 13 games and he had 1 goal 6 assists. His 6 assists put him 4th on the team behind Drouin, Suzuki, Petry.

This website can show you the line combinations and then you can just pick the dates from the nhl stats page.
Montreal Canadiens 2020-21 season data

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Tyler Toffoli - Teammates - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

There might be better ones, but that’s one.

also, if looking at early season results, I’d consider sticking Armia with them instead of Jo. Toffoli and Armia had good chemistry. They were scoring together short handed vs canucks. Also looked good later on with Suzuki in the middle.

Ideally Perry comes back and plays with Armia and Poehling on the 4th like they did in the playoffs when they looked great. Assuming Drouin is still with the Habs, I see him in a top 2 role and KK makes the most sense with a triggerman like Toffoli. Hoffman being the scorer on the 3rd line. Trying to spread out and balance all the lines. DD may decide to load up the lines and go with a more traditional lines 1-4 but that wouldn't be taking advantage of the depth we have up front IMO. Certainly, a quality center would make the lines work a lot better than having Evans center Hoffman and Gally but we are where we are.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
As of right now:

Drouin - Suzi - Caufield
Toffoli - KK - Anderson
Hoffman - Evans - Gallagher
Byron/Leks - Paquette - Armia

Eddy - Petry
Chiarot - Savard
Romy - Wideman/Kulak

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
I can See Peohling is really being let off by a lot of people, guys need to remember he still is quite young and has elements that could make him a boosted version of Philip Danault in the future and he caught fire at the end of the season in the AHL. its a shame he got injured.. and its a shame also that J. Bouchard left to anaheim.

I would surely try him as a 3th center to start.

Reactions: Gravity

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
My best guess right now is:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield (keep playoff chemistry)

Hoffman-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher (it took one playoff run playing through an injury for people to forget that this team completely falls apart without Gallagher, he's not a 3rd liner. His play driving may be able to offset Hoffman's awful 5v5 play. KK is an underrated playmaker)

Drouin-Evans-Anderson (Evans isn't a top-9 center, but Anderson's North south game should help and Drouin's decent in transition as well. And imbalanced line, but should work as a 3rd)

Byron/Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia (Two 3rd line wingers between a replacement-level C. Don't love it, but fine for the 4th line).

Edmundson-Petry (it just works)

Romanov-Savard (Savard needs a D partner that can skate. Romanov needs a responsible D partner. Fit makes sense)

Chiarot-Kulak (Works fine for a 3rd pair)

Price
Allen

I don't know, this group feels very incomplete. They've got too many wingers, a need for a C and an imbalanced D core. I'd be shocked if Bergevin didn't have a significant trade he's working on.

Last edited:
Reactions: iamtalbot

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
My best guess right now is:

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield (keep playoff chemistry)

Hoffman-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher (it took one playoff run playing through an injury for people to forget that this team completely falls apart with Gallagher, he's not a 3rd liner. His play driving may be able to offset Hoffman's awful 5v5 play. KK is an underrated playmaker)

Drouin-Evans-Anderson (Evans isn't a top-9 center, but Anderson's North south game should help and Drouin's decent in transition as well. And imbalanced line, but should work as a 3rd)

Byron/Lehkonen-Paquette-Armia (Two 3rd line wingers between a replacement-level C. Don't love it, but fine for the 4th line).

Edmundson-Petry (it just works)

Romanov-Savard (Savard needs a D partner that can skate. Romanov needs a responsible D partner. Fit makes sense)

Chiarot-Kulak (Works fine for a 3rd pair)

Price
Allen

I don't know, this group feels very incomplete. They've got too many wingers, a need for a C and an imbalanced D core. I'd be shocked if Bergevin didn't have a significant trade he's working on.

I like this.

Also think MB isn't done...

I think they we'll start with Chiarot-Savard, but prefer your pairings. DD usually gets it right after a few games, which fatally was a few games too late against Tampa.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd really be surprised if Evans is the 3rd line center, would think MB will find a way to upgrade there and get a vet. I wouldn't be surprised if Poehling starts the year in Laval.

How far away is Norlinder, Montreal? I’m intrigued by him, but tbh don’t know much about his game other than highlight packages I’ve watched. I try not to judge a player based on those.

While I like him a lot, clearly I have to say I don't fully grasp what MB is doing here as I would not have signed him until the end of this season coming up. I know to some they don't seem to mind it, but to me it's just stupid if your plan is to bring him over for the rookie camp and then have him go back. He had 2 more years before he had to be signed so why waste a spot on the 50 and burn a year off his ELC and bring him over while his SHL team at camp/preseason and likely around the start of the season (mid Sept). Why not just leave him alone, sign him at the end of Frolunda's season and then bring him over to Laval.

So either MB has no plan for him and his development (which wouldn't shock me in the least) or he does and sees how skilled Norlinder is and how his skills can help the Habs in what is a massive need. So when the rookie camp starts, we'll see how he does, assuming he's there as MB said he would be. Then I assume we'll hear if he's going to be at the main camp or not.

I think his upside is sky high, he's got so much offensive talent, dude can just snipe it and is a treat to watch. But he needs to get stronger, add mass, and he needs to make better decisions in his own end. Putting him with Chiarot if they put him at RD or Savard if they use him at LD, would make a ton of sense, give him a steady D that can clear the crease and let him rush it up ice as he's very good at that.

I also think that Norlinder has a chance this year... Rather develop him than bring back Gustavsson.

he should have a chance or it was a waste to sign him so soon.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Montreal

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli
Hoffman-Kotkaniemi-Anderson
Lehkonen-Paquette-Gallagher (C)
Byron (A)-Evans-Armia

Edmundson-Petry (A)
Chiarot-Savard
Romanov-Wideman
Kulak

Price
Allen

Laval

Drouin (A)-Poehling-Ylonen
Teasdale-Hillis-Belzile (A)
Dauphin-Vejdemo-RHP
Baddock-Dea-Blandisi
Khisamutdinov

Ouellete (C)- Norlinder
Fairbrother - Brook
Schueneman-Belpedio

Primeau
McNiven

Jul 6, 2016
I see a lot of posters don't mind having 3 righties on the same line but I do.
I want to see a left handed winger on Suzuki's left.

Montreal

Caufield-Suzuki-Toffoli
Hoffman-Kotkaniemi-Anderson
Lehkonen-Paquette-Gallagher (C)
Byron (A)-Evans-Armia

Edmundson-Petry (A)
Chiarot-Savard
Romanov-Wideman
Kulak

Price
Allen

Laval

Drouin (A)-Poehling-Ylonen
Teasdale-Hillis-Belzile (A)
Dauphin-Vejdemo-RHP
Baddock-Dea-Blandisi
Khisamutdinov

Ouellete (C)- Norlinder
Fairbrother - Brook
Schueneman-Belpedio

Primeau
McNiven

Sorry to tell you , but Paquette is not a 3rd line centerman. 4th liner at best.

Reactions: 26Mats

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
Drouin - ____ - Anderson
Hoffman - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Byron/Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Paquette

Edmundson -Petry
Chiarot - _______
Romanov - Savard
Wideman/Kulak

For me, those are the things missing for us to be contenders.

TeacherMan

Mar 10, 2017
Yeah, either something else is in the works or after he drew a line inbthe sand with Danault, like he did with Radulov, there is again no back up plan.

There has to be another centre coming, doesn't there? The Suzuki-Caufield line can't be expected to face other team's top lines yet. Due to their talent, they can be matched against opposing second lines. They (particularly Caufield) must be sheltered for at least another one or two seasons. Perhaps it could work if Suzuki were flanked by two veterans, but no one wants to break up that duo.

The plan may be to pit Evan's line against other team's top lines. He may not be completely up to the task either, but with a couple of veterans on his wing, it would be a better option than rushing the other two kids' development. We would look much better with a true Danault replacement or an offensive centreman capable of playing against other team's top lines.

We're also woefully weak on face-offs. Maybe the plan is to address these shortcomings at the trade deadline.

Reactions: 26Mats

Jul 6, 2016
Drouin - ____ - Anderson
Paquette

Edmundson -Petry
Chiarot - _______
Romanov - Savard
Wideman/Kulak

You have to trade some of those to fill your blanks, and then.....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Now that Perry is gone, we need someone in front of the net on the pp. I would load up the 1st unit to get the best unit possible. So, whoever's best in that role should be on the first unit.

I think it's between KK, Gallagher, Armia and Anderson. I would try KK first. He has some jam in front of the net.

willzyix

Jul 16, 2020
Drouin - ____ - Anderson
Paquette

Edmundson -Petry
Chiarot - _______
Romanov - Savard
Wideman/Kulak

Honestly I’d sell the farm to get Eichel to plug up the centre spot. The D is probably a bit harder to address. Not sure what’s realistically out there to fill that gap.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
As of now if we don’t trade anyone away this is the players guranteed on the roster.

Toffoli Suzuki Caufield
Hoffman Kotkaniemi Anderson
Lehkonen Evans Gallagher
Byron Paquette Armia

Edmundson Petry
Chiarot Savard
Kulak Romanov

I think we will sign another center for the 3rd line and Evans will bump down to 4th line and Paquette as the extra forward.

I expect Wideman to be on the roster as an extra so think we will sign one more depth forward or one more defenceman as we have one remaining spot in the roster after that

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd really be surprised if Evans is the 3rd line center, would think MB will find a way to upgrade there and get a vet. I wouldn't be surprised if Poehling starts the year in Laval.

While I like him a lot, clearly I have to say I don't fully grasp what MB is doing here as I would not have signed him until the end of this season coming up. I know to some they don't seem to mind it, but to me it's just stupid if your plan is to bring him over for the rookie camp and then have him go back. He had 2 more years before he had to be signed so why waste a spot on the 50 and burn a year off his ELC and bring him over while his SHL team at camp/preseason and likely around the start of the season (mid Sept). Why not just leave him alone, sign him at the end of Frolunda's season and then bring him over to Laval.

So either MB has no plan for him and his development (which wouldn't shock me in the least) or he does and sees how skilled Norlinder is and how his skills can help the Habs in what is a massive need. So when the rookie camp starts, we'll see how he does, assuming he's there as MB said he would be. Then I assume we'll hear if he's going to be at the main camp or not.

I think his upside is sky high, he's got so much offensive talent, dude can just snipe it and is a treat to watch. But he needs to get stronger, add mass, and he needs to make better decisions in his own end. Putting him with Chiarot if they put him at RD or Savard if they use him at LD, would make a ton of sense, give him a steady D that can clear the crease and let him rush it up ice as he's very good at that.

he should have a chance or it was a waste to sign him so soon.

Krejci and Bozak are still available.

So is Cizikas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad