GDT: 2021-2022 Trade Deadline frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Kessel's wife just had a baby and he has a NMC. Doubt he felt like moving anywhere.
Wouldn’t be near the top of my offseason to do list, but if he felt like chasing another Cup at a reasonable contract I wouldn’t hate signing him in the offseason. Avs nearing a cap crunch, & he has quality hockey left in the tank, which Colorado’s locker room culture could siphon out. Solid 2nd-3rd liner & PP2.

Fire away.

Attachments

• 1647930116438.gif
    1647930116438.gif
    981.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: The Moops

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Wouldn’t be near the top of my offseason to do list, but if he felt like chasing another Cup at a reasonable contract I wouldn’t hate signing him in the offseason. Avs nearing a cap crunch, & he has quality hockey left in the tank, which Colorado’s locker room culture could siphon out. Solid 2nd-3rd liner & PP2.

Fire away.
I also think Phil will play very differently if he chooses to sign with a cup contender to chase one more cup. He's either going to make the commitment to be a factor in one last cup run or ride off into the sunset on a rebuilding team.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Just made the mistake of watching the ESPN coverage of the deadline. Emily Kaplan found another opportunity to relay that someone from Vegas told the Avs to get out of the second round already. Man she bothers me. Always comes off arrogant and talks with a smug smile. There's plenty of women better to cover hockey than her.

Torts thinks that Seattle had the best deadline because they picked up a few draft picks outside the first round. :laugh:

Then ESPN puts up two graphics comparing the "projected lineups" from Colorado and Calgary, but leaves out Landeskog, Girard, Newhook, and Byram. What is this a projected lineup for? Newhook is playing right now. Then they put LOC on the 2nd line, Cogliano on the 3rd line, Lehkonen on the 4th line, and Helm as 4C, so they can say Calgary has better depth. :facepalm:

It's like they put five seconds into researching the Avs.

Last edited:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Just made the mistake of watching the ESPN coverage of the deadline. Emily Kaplan found another opportunity to relay that someone from Vegas told the Avs to get out of the second round already. Man she bothers me. Always comes off arrogant and talks with a smug smile. There's plenty of women better to cover hockey than her.
Totally agree. I used to listen to the podcast she was on and I don't know how she's able to be so boring at the same time.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I still can’t believe both Toronto and Edmonton didn’t make a move for a solid goaltender.

Toronto’s goalie getting claimed off waivers is hilarious btw.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I know all of our focus has been on forwards, but as I've said before if we win the Cup it will be because of our defense and goaltending (and team defense, which every new forward piece adds to). And defense wins championships, remember? If Kuemper plays like we've seen him in the POs behind

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Byram - Johnson
Murray

Then there's not much teams can do, especially when you look at our offensive weapons. If it's a FLA - COL final it will be the immovable object vs. The unstoppable force.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Yeah if it turns out that this mess is on Vegas I can’t see Dadonov trying very hard for them down the stretch/into the playoffs

It's only a 10-team no trade list, so I imagine if the Knights are really desperate to open cap space, they could find another dance partner. Granted that dance partner would have to be out of the playoff picture. And the Knights would have to overpay even more to move him along. I'm hoping this becomes as hilarious as possible and it torpedoes whatever chemistry is left on that BS team.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

It's nice to know that in 2021/2022 trade clauses included in player contracts are hand written notes on a cheap napkin that get paperclipped to a fax.

What in the frikkity f*** is that all about. "Forgot to tell them about it"?? We all have access to Cap Friendly and these morons can't be bothered to KNOW the details of contracts of the players they employ???

Well, it's true, I hadn't considered there is still all this blow to do....

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
It's only a 10-team no trade list, so I imagine if the Knights are really desperate to open cap space, they could find another dance partner. Granted that dance partner would have to be out of the playoff picture. And the Knights would have to overpay even more to move him along. I'm hoping this becomes as hilarious as possible and it torpedoes whatever chemistry is left on that BS team.
You know who you definitely need to bring a great, calming presence to that locker room?

Jack Eichel 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: Bender

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I love how the Avs - the best team in the league and with 7 more wins that CGY - fixed their biggest problems and yet now all of a sudden people are saying Calgary is the favorite after they made a few depth moves.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
I'm hoping this becomes as hilarious as possible and it torpedoes whatever chemistry is left on that BS team.

And still there are FA who tink Vegas is a "great" place to be. The way they threatende MAF and others, now Dadonov...... As a FA or Agent of one, there are some red flags here.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Hopefully Vegas is screwed, probably won't happen though. It's really obvious they have been trying to circumvent the cap in every way possible, abusing LTIR on players who are ready to play, this trade etc.

Last edited:

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
It's nice to know that in 2021/2022 trade clauses included in player contracts are hand written notes on a cheap napkin that get paperclipped to a fax.

What in the frikkity f*** is that all about. "Forgot to tell them about it"?? We all have access to Cap Friendly and these morons can't be bothered to KNOW the details of contracts of the players they employ???

Well, it's true, I hadn't considered there is still all this blow to do....

For all the flak Sakic receives from some Avs "fans" here, he runs a clean organization and he really does the best he can for the players.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Not sure about the rest of you, but I'm personally not thrilled we traded two strong defensive prospects in Helleson and Barron to get Manson and Lekhonen while also packaging 2nds with them. I detest deadline prices.

Now we're really hoping Byram comes back strong and Behrens pans out. And we've over held onto Kaut and Bowers.

I love the going all in concept, but I don't trust our scouts to deliver on any late round steals like the lightning would. Argument to potentially be had our pro scouting is so much better we're better off for it, but that's only sustainable for so long until we're back to the Lacroix days.

So in your opinion the Avs have held on to Kaut and Bowers too long and should have traded them earlier, but trading Helleson and Barron is also wrong? For all we know those prospects may not pan out either, so the Avs may have just sold high on them before they became like Kaut and Bowers. Time will tell.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
So in your opinion the Avs have held on to Kaut and Bowers too long and should have traded them earlier, but trading Helleson and Barron is also wrong? For all we know those prospects may not pan out either, so the Avs may have just sold high on them before they became like Kaut and Bowers. Time will tell.

I hope that Sakic can use them in the off-season as trade pieces to upgrade and fill holes on the roster.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah if it turns out that this mess is on Vegas I can’t see Dadonov trying very hard for them down the stretch/into the playoffs

If this is true I hope the trade gets rejected, but that he demands a trade elsewhere even now after the deadline. He wouldn't be able to get registered to play in the playoffs, but presumably his new team wouldn't be a playoff team anyways. At least he'd get out of Vegas.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Fire away.

Actually Kessel might be a decent solution for the Avs in the offseason...

The Avs are going to need a 2nd line forward to take Burakovsky's spot (maybe even Burakovsky himself), but giving $5m+ and term to that 2RW that goes beyond 2023 will clash with the Mackinnon, Byram, and Newhook's raises which are coming up in 2023. Money spent on a 2RW for 2022/23 essentially just needs to be a one-year placeholder for those 2023 contracts.

The plan will likely also be for Olausson to be ready to take the Burakovsky spot in 2023, so having someone locked in with term in that position wouldn't be ideal.

I think the plan will be to either:

A) Acquire a forward via trade who's contract expires in 2023 (similar to Saad who was essentially a one year rental); with options being Tatar, Dadonov, Drouin, Miller, Zucker, Kane, Larkin, Horvat, Nyquist, Bertuzzi, etc.;

or

B) Sign a forward to a one year deal in UFA.

Signing someone like Kessel to a one year deal could be something they look at if they don't like the alternatives or acquisition prices in option A, assuming of course that Kessel would be open to a one year deal.

On a side note I do wonder if Dadonov couldn't be a perfect fit for this team next year. His contract would fit perfectly (based on what I outlined above), and if he ends up getting discarded by Vegas he might be available reasonably cheap to acquire to be the trigger man on line 2 next year. Dadonov would probably be highly motivated in a contract year, along with having a chip on his shoulder after Vegas has cast him aside like yesterdays garbage.

Last edited:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
For all the flak Sakic receives from some Avs "fans" here, he runs a clean organization and he really does the best he can for the players.

Yep, Sakic is extremely loyal to his players. It's notable that the Jost trade is the only time Sakic has traded a player under contract since the Barrie trade in 2019, outside of being forced to trade players due to extenuating circumstances, like having to trade Cole due to a cap crunch brought on by injuries, or trading Graves because of the Expansion Draft. The way the Avs handle things certainly makes players feel more secure on the Avs roster, which is in stark contrast to the way Vegas handles things.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I hope that Sakic can use them in the off-season as trade pieces to upgrade and fill holes on the roster.

I would hope first and foremost that they can make the Avs roster. I don't see that happening at this point though so trading them at the draft for draft capital or a prospect swap could be the best way forward.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
There's a clear symmetry in the 4th and 5th lines, so I'd imagine that it'll simply be a case of like-for-like if and when an injury happens or if someone needs some rest.

Helm ----- Sturm -- LOC
Cogliano - Maltsev - NAK

Speedy LW PK'er (Helm/Cogliano)
Big C who's good at faceoffs (Sturm/Maltsev)
RHS puckhound (LOC/NAK)
I've been following your analysis on how Sakic and MacFarland have been constructing this team. The offseason and TDL have always been interesting as we try to ascertain which players will be traded, acquired and at what cost.

You previously pointed out that Sakic doesn't trade players with term, like Zadorov, until they become RFA. Jost was the exception this time around but the Avs are all in now.

It kind of reminded me of the situation in which the Canucks find themselves now. They have talented players but they lack direction (i.e. an overall plan on how to rebuild their organization and team). I'd love to see the blueprint that Sakic and the Avs have.

Reactions: Richard88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad