5th tier (2nd round pick value) : Boucher, Lodin, Crookshank, Gustavsson
---------------
6th tier : Kastelic, Kelly
---------------
7th tier : Guenette, Daoust, Merilainen, Johansson
---------------
8th tier : Reinhardt, Mandolese, Latimer, Roger, Romeo, Aspirot
---------------
Busts : Tychonick, Loheit, Novak, Engstrand, Abramov (unless he starts putting good numbers in the KHL. He would probably sign with another NHL team anyway since this might take a few more years and our roster will be full full full)

Graduates from last year pool : Erik Brännström, Alex Formenton

I only rank him 5th because he is a guaranteed NHLer in my view. Could be a good 3rd line center in the mold of Zack Smith in the near future. He has everything you want in a bottom-6 player and is quite lieley to reach that potential unlike the rest of the Senators prospects.

I also really like Johansson's potential, he is one of the few players in the Senators system that has good offensive potential and reminds me a little bit of Jakub Slifverberg at the same age, although not quite as mature.

I think Guenette opened my eyes this year, he is certainly one of the most improved prospects in the Senators system but I still think he isn't anything more than a replacement-level player - As for Daoust, I expected more out of him after going back for his overage season, wasn't as dominant as I would have hoped for an overager.

I see. I don't view as Kastelic as more than a 4th liner, with where the NHL is going ("Top-9" is becoming more and more important)

Zack Smith was a better skater and had a pretty underrated shot, I hope Kastelic has the grit Zack had

I agree that Kastelic is more likely to reach his potential than a guy like Jarventie or Sogaard but "likelihood of reaching potential" is far from being the only or the main factor for rating a prospect, like it was debated and agreed by most a while ago. It's only a % of the whole recipe

Very rarely you'll see someone rate prospects the way you just did. To me it means that you have basically close to ZERO faith in any of the other guys after Sanderson/Pinto/Greig/Thomson. You don't project any of Sogaard, Kleven, JBD, Jarventie, Sokolov, Lodin, Ostapchuk, Boucher, etc to become regular NHLers or if they do, you only see them becoming marginal depth players

Of course, it is unless you are very high on Kastelic, like significantly more than anybody I have seen before.

Regarding Johansson, jury is still out, it is very early to have a good read on him but he turns 19 y/o in July and has only played junior, except 14 games in the SHL where he scored no points. Not much info outside of that but what is weird here is how come he is 10th on your list if "likelihood of reaching potential" was so important for Kastelic? Johansson should be way lower than that if you're being consistent. That being said, I'm definitely keeping an eye on this kid and see him as a potential guy who could "break out" into a legit NHL prospect, seems to have the skill. We'll probably have a better read next camp but IMO, at this point in time, he is behind a lot of guys on the list, even Tyler Boucher who was just picked 10th OA

If your 3rd rounder from a year ago is already better (while scoring 0 pts in 14 pro games) than your 10th OA pick from the same draft, then you should absolutely FIRE anybody who has a pulse in your management

IMO Johansson is in the same tier as Guenette and Daoust (as you can see above)

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
1. Pinto
2. Sanderson
3. Greig
4. JBD
5. Gustavsson
6. Boucher
7. Ostapchuk
8. Kleven
9. Sokolov
10. Kastelic
11. Sogaard
12. Thomson
13. Jarventie
14. Kelly, Merilainen
15. Roger, Crookshank

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
1. Pinto
2. Sanderson
3. Greig
4. JBD
5. Kleven
6. Sogaard
7. Thomson
8. Ostapchuk
9. Jarventie
10. Gustavsson
11. Lodin
12. Sokolov
13. Crookshank
14. Guenette
15. Kastelic
16. Kelly
17. Boucher
18. Roger
19. Merilainen

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Na … he’s just not that good at defending. Poor evaluation.

Dorion seems happy with him lately so that may be encouraging.
Lol @ the poor evaluation. So many fans underestimate how well this guy plays defensively, some fans it’s all about points but you just dig into your narrative early and just keep banging the same drum year after year.

Reactions: Dionysus

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Ya … he’s not. His defending skills are replacement level … hopefully there is more development to occur.
JBD went into the WJC as a 6th or 7th D, by the end of the tournament the coach called him their best D. Coach at UND raved about him. Mann said he used him on the PK, defending 1 goal leads and has him in a shutdown role, he also said there is room for growth on the breakout. Mann thinks he could steal a job with the Sens out of camp but feels he needs 35 more AHL games.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Sanderson
Pinto
Grieg
Ostapchuk
JBD
Jarventie
Kleven
Boucher
Thomson
Sokolov
Ostapchuk is way up there. That late surge impress you that much or you already felt he was that high?

No Lodin?! LOL He is a wildcard but if he picks up his pace I like his skills.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Having watched all their college games, I would have a hard time ranking Pinto above Sanderson. Pinto was good at everything and had a pro style game, but Sanderson was probably the best college defenseman I've seen, in the old WCHA and NCHC anyway. Just an elite skater with insane details. He's going to eat up minutes.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Having watched all their college games, I would have a hard time ranking Pinto above Sanderson. Pinto was good at everything and had a pro style game, but Sanderson was probably the best college defenseman I've seen, in the old WCHA and NCHC anyway. Just an elite skater with insane details. He's going to eat up minutes.
Yes those rankings shocked me as well. Huge Pinto fan but if he ends up more impactful than Sanderson would be very surprised.

Lets hope if it is close it's because Pinto is just too good!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ostapchuk is way up there. That late surge impress you that much or you already felt he was that high?

No Lodin?! LOL He is a wildcard but if he picks up his pace I like his skills.
Ostapchuk has everything you want, size, skating, smarts and skill. Had a rough start production wise, but even if his playoffs never took off, he is in line for a very big 19 year old season.

Would be surprised if he wasn’t on Team Canada and putting up 35g/40g and 85+ points next season.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yes, I was surprised to see Pinto voted #1 in 2 straight posters lists. I didn't really understand. Pinto is awesome but Sanderson is another tier. He's ranked Top-5 in most prospect lists for the whole NHL.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
JBD went into the WJC as a 6th or 7th D, by the end of the tournament the coach called him their best D. Coach at UND raved about him. Mann said he used him on the PK, defending 1 goal leads and has him in a shutdown role, he also said there is room for growth on the breakout. Mann thinks he could steal a job with the Sens out of camp but feels he needs 35 more AHL games.

I agree that he played well in the AHL “late” in the season.

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Yes, I was surprised to see Pinto voted #1 in 2 straight posters lists. I didn't really understand. Pinto is awesome but Sanderson is another tier. He's ranked Top-5 in most prospect lists for the whole NHL.
Does it really matter on a message board? I expect Sanderson to be a top 2 D on this team, but I also think that Pinto has #1 centre potential. It will be great for Ott, if both turn into great pros.

Reactions: Sweatred

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Carson Lattimer is going to shoot up people's lists next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar ascension to Ostapchuk's from this year.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm hoping one of these top 6 falls to us, we just need one of these teams to like someone else more. If not there are plenty of other good players who could help the team like Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Korchinski, Nazar, Geekie, Yurov, McGroarty, Snuggerud, Luneau etc .... I'm also looking forward to the other rds to see who they end up with, really hoping for Warren, Kaplin & Gaucher.

Top 6:
1. Wright C
2. Slafvosky LW
3. Cooley C
4. Nemec RD
5. Gauthier C/LW
6. Jiricek RD

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm hoping one of these top 6 falls to us, we just need one of these teams to like someone else more. If not there are plenty of other good players who could help the team like Kasper, Lekkerimaki, Korchinski, Nazar, Geekie, Yurov, McGroarty, Snuggerud, Luneau etc .... I'm also looking forward to the other rds to see who they end up with, really hoping for Warren, Kaplin & Gaucher.

Top 6:
1. Wright C
2. Slafvosky LW
3. Cooley C
4. Nemec RD
5. Gauthier C/LW
6. Jiricek RD

That’s the risk of trading 7OA … if Jiricek (or whoever) falls the pick may be more value able than we a anticipated.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
A smart GM arranges the trade contingent on who is available at 7 and pulls the trigger if their player is gone.
That's what we did when we traded for Rundblad, only catch is it was the blues who we arranged the trade with that picked the guy we wanted...

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Ahhh.. that’s not true.
Yes it is, we had a trade in place with the Blues where as soon as the guys we wanted (Schwartz and Forbert) weren't there they'd swap the pick for Rundblad. Just so happens the Blues picked Schwartz without knowing that's who the Sens wanted. After Forbert was picked, they were going to trade the pick as he was the last player they were willing to draft at 16.

Murray let Armstrong know that if certain guys weren't there, Rundblad for 16 was a go. Forbert was the last of a group of 5 guys the Sens were willing to draft at 16, who went the pick before the Sens. If LA take Tarasenko or anyone else, Forbert is drafted by the Sens and Rundblad isn't traded to the Sens

The deal was agreed to after the Granlund pick at #9, Sens had a group of players they would select, if none of those players were left the trade for Rundblad was there as long as Tarasenko was still available. As soon as Forbert was picked, the wheels were put in motion to the agreed upon price.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad