#4: RD - Lassi Thomson

#5: C - Mark Kastelic

#6: RW - Roby Jarventie

#7: LW - Zack Ostapchuk

#8: RW - Yegor Sokolov

#9: G - Mads Sogaard

#10: C - Oliver Johansson

HM: Tyler Kleven, Jacob Bernard-Docker, Tyler Boucher, Viktor Lodin

I love Kastelic but this is certainly surprising. If a potential 4th liner is our 5th best prospect, we have a sad group :laugh:

Also, why is Oliver Johansson 10th and ahead of Tyler Kleven, Filip Gustavsson and Viktor Lodin? Heck, even Tyler Boucher

Is he a better prospect than guys like Maxence Guenette and Philippe Daoust?

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I prefer to tier them, I have them a bit different than you though;

Tier 1: Sanderson
Tier 2: Pinto, Greig
Tier 3: Thomson, JBD, Sokolov, Sogaard,
Tier 4: Kastelic, Jarventie, Boucher, Kleven, Ostapchuk
Tier 5: Guinette, Lodin, Johansson, Reinhardt, Merilainen, Mandolese
I like the list.
I'm really down on JBD.. for a two-way defender he wasn't able to contribute much in the AHL. I expected way more out of him this year, even if he played well defensively down in Belleville. I'd definitely be okay with moving on from him if we can get some value back.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I like the list.
I'm really down on JBD.. for a two-way defender he wasn't able to contribute much in the AHL. I expected way more out of him this year, even if he played well defensively down in Belleville. I'd definitely be okay with moving on from him if we can get some value back.
Wrong about JBD ,..,. leaned on heavily in a shut down role and played big hard minutes .. I favor him slightly over the more flashy Thomson.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I like the list.

I still really like JBD, he's not flashy, and he gets leaned on in key defensive roles so I don't think Belleville was looking for him to contribute offensively based on that role. I think he's going to be a bottom 4 D man for a long time that can play a reliable game, but I mostly only caught his games in the second half of the AHL season which from what I understand was his better half.

Reactions: GermanSpitfire

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I love Kastelic but this is certainly surprising. If a potential 4th liner is our 5th best prospect, we have a sad group :laugh:

Also, why is Oliver Johansson 10th and ahead of Tyler Kleven, Filip Gustavsson and Viktor Lodin? Heck, even Tyler Boucher

Is he a better prospect than guys like Maxence Guenette and Philippe Daoust?
I only rank him 5th because he is a guaranteed NHLer in my view. Could be a good 3rd line center in the mold of Zack Smith in the near future. He has everything you want in a bottom-6 player and is quite lieley to reach that potential unlike the rest of the Senators prospects.

I also really like Johansson's potential, he is one of the few players in the Senators system that has good offensive potential and reminds me a little bit of Jakub Slifverberg at the same age, although not quite as mature.

I think Guenette opened my eyes this year, he is certainly one of the most improved prospects in the Senators system but I still think he isn't anything more than a replacement-level player - As for Daoust, I expected more out of him after going back for his overage season, wasn't as dominant as I would have hoped for an overager.

Reactions: Benttheknee

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I also like to organize prospects by tiers:

Lodin tier: Viktor Lodin
Tier 1: Jake Sanderson
Tier 2: Ridly Greig, Shane Pinto, Mads Sogaard
Tier 3: Lassi Thomson, Zack Ostapchuk, Egor Sokolov, Mark Kastelic, Parker Kelly
Tier 4: Jacob Bernard-Docker, Roby Jarventie, Tyler Kleven, Cole Reinhardt, Max Guenette, Tyler Boucher, Oliver Johansson, Filip Gustavsson, Angus Crookshank, Leevi Merilainen
Tier 5: Ben Roger, Carson Latimer, Chandler Romeo, Philippe Daoust, Kevin Mandolese, Jonathan Aspirot

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I prefer to tier them, I have them a bit different than you though;

Tier 1: Sanderson
Tier 2: Pinto, Greig
Tier 3: Thomson, JBD, Sokolov, Sogaard,
Tier 4: Kastelic, Jarventie, Boucher, Kleven, Ostapchuk
Tier 5: Guinette, Lodin, Johansson, Reinhardt, Merilainen, Mandolese
  1. Sanderson
  2. Pinto
  3. Greig, Sogaard
  4. JBD, Thomson, Kastelic, Kleven
  5. Sokolov, Jarventie, Lodin, Ostapchuk, Crookshank, Kelly
  6. Guenette, Reinhardt, Merilainen, Johansson, Daoust
  7. Boucher, Mandolese, Roger, Romeo, Latimer

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Tier 3: Lassi Thomson, Zack Ostapchuk, Egor Sokolov, Mark Kastelic, Parker Kelly
Tier 4: Jacob Bernard-Docker, Roby Jarventie, Tyler Kleven, Cole Reinhardt, Max Guenette, Tyler Boucher, Oliver Johansson, Filip Gustavsson, Angus Crookshank, Leevi Merilainen
Tier 5: Ben Roger, Carson Latimer, Chandler Romeo, Philippe Daoust, Kevin Mandolese, Jonathan Aspirot
love the lodin tier.

Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDoo

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I am high on Lodin although haven't seen him enough to really let myself get too excited yet.

I would move Sogaard down to tier 3 because...goalies, and I would move JBD up to tier 3.

I have a feeling that Crookshank and Leevi will be in tier 3 for me early this season as well. Crookshank specifically intrigues me if he bounces back from his ACL injury, really appreciate his style of play.

Tier 2: Ridly Greig, Shane Pinto
Tier 3: Lassi Thomson, Zack Ostapchuk, Egor Sokolov, Mads Sogaard, Jacob Bernard-Docker
Tier 4: , Roby Jarventie, Tyler Kleven, Cole Reinhardt, Max Guenette, Tyler Boucher, Oliver Johansson, Filip Gustavsson, Angus Crookshank, Leevi Merilainen

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am high on Lodin although haven't seen him enough to really let myself get too excited yet.

I would move Sogaard down to tier 3 because...goalies, and I would move JBD up to tier 3.

I have a feeling that Crookshank and Leevi will be in tier 3 for me early this season as well. Crookshank specifically intrigues me if he bounces back from his ACL injury, really appreciate his style of play.

Tier 2: Ridly Greig, Shane Pinto
Tier 3: Lassi Thomson, Zack Ostapchuk, Egor Sokolov, Mads Sogaard, Jacob Bernard-Docker
Tier 4: , Roby Jarventie, Tyler Kleven, Cole Reinhardt, Max Guenette, Tyler Boucher, Oliver Johansson, Filip Gustavsson, Angus Crookshank, Leevi Merilainen
I completely forgot about crookshank! He's probably tier 4 for me though.

Reactions: Icelevel

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I like the list.
You don’t like defencemen who can defend ? I’m confused.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think he has limited upside in the NHL - Lassi Thomson looked miles better in the NHL and AHL.
JBD I see as a bottom-pairing defender as his ceiling at the NHL level because of his size and lack of offence.
I completely disagree. I see a big leap coming this season.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
You don’t like defencemen who can defend ? I’m confused.

Na … he’s just not that good at defending. Poor evaluation.

Dorion seems happy with him lately so that may be encouraging.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah I seem to remember some crazy stat that teams just couldn’t score when JBD was in the ice at ES. Just low key solid defending.

Then he was apparently used as our top shut down guy in the playoffs was he not?

We definitely could use an excellent defender so I find that encouraging. Seems like perhaps the perfect compliment to Chabot. Zub can help Sanderson come along, and eventually Kleven can line up with Tompson.

Boom. :)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah I seem to remember some crazy stat that teams just couldn’t score when JBD was in the ice at ES. Just low key solid defending.

Then he was apparently used as our top shut down guy in the playoffs was he not?
Not sure but not the teams finest moments either way.
eventually Kleven can line up with Tompson.

Boom. :)
Boom is right. The two hardest shots on the back end paired together.

If Kleven develops and can be a contributor at the NHL level it would be a huge addition. Big, mean with decent wheels and a bomb from the point would be something we have lacked anywhere on the blueline since Chara.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
LOL.

Didn't he have a string of 20 some games without giving up and ES goal? Then promptly started another streak?

He was very good defensively in Belleville this year. Poor evaluation.

Yes, he had a nice end to the season in Belleville.

he’s 22 years old next year entering his D+5 season. Miller has already had 2 full seasons. Look at the Boucher reaction, imagine giving him 4 more seasons to get the NHL and thinking he’s a great pick. We gave up on Logan at the end of D+5 and he had dominated in AHL at D+4.

Branny made it to the NHL much sooner and many are done with him.

He’s not a good NHL defender yet … if he was he’d be playing in the NHL. As I said, his late play in the AHL was encouraging.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Yes, he had a nice end to the season in Belleville.

he’s 22 years old next year entering his D+5 season. Miller has already had 2 full seasons. Look at the Boucher reaction, imagine giving him 4 more seasons to get the NHL and thinking he’s a great pick. We gave up on Logan at the end of D+5 and he had dominated in AHL at D+4.

Branny made it to the NHL much sooner and many are done with him.

He’s not a good NHL defender yet … if he was he’s be playing in the NHL. As I said, his late play in the AHL was encouraging.
Nothing you added has any relevance to JBD.

You said he wasn't any good at defending and told the other poster they had a poor evaluation which is incorrect.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nothing you added has any relevance to JBD.

You said he wasn't any good at defending and told the other poster they had a poor evaluation which is incorrect.
Ya … he’s not. His defending skills are replacement level … hopefully there is more development to occur.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Ya … he’s not. His defending skills are replacement level … hopefully there is more development to occur.
Ok well agree to disagree again.

Of course there will be ongoing development - he just finished his 1st season as a pro (sort of...the Covid situation obviously was odd).

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure but not the teams finest moments either way.

Boom is right. The two hardest shots on the back end paired together.

If Kleven develops and can be a contributor at the NHL level it would be a huge addition. Big, mean with decent wheels and a bomb from the point would be something we have lacked anywhere on the blueline since Chara.
Sorry, I mean that teams couldn’t score AGAINST us hahaha! JBD is trending well on the defensive end.

Yeah I am super pumped for Kleven, he’s probably the one prospect that I would be most bummed about if he doesn’t pan out. Seems like he could be a perfect complimentary defender if he keeps his development curve going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad