2021-2022 Season: Roster moves/Line-ups/Injuries/Call-ups

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm cool if they don't play vs Winnipeg either. 2 losses this weekend would be good. We've basically caught Chicago who is super tanking right now. Buffalo too close for comfort too. I don't expect the Flyers to win much but it would be nice to stay 6th in the draft order. I suspect we're going to finish 9th though.

I hope we tank and get a top 5 pick after the lottery results. In would not be pushing for our injured players to return to action soon; let them fully recover for next season.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That may be coaching too.

Possibly - I’ve considered that but I can’t figure out why DJ would tell Formy to avoid contact - he’s a “hard, big, and fast” style coach who loves contact. Formy projects as a physical 3LW perfectly suited to fast, physical play. Norris, Stutzle, Pinto etc are all younger and “allowed” to deliver the odd knock.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Possibly - I’ve considered that but I can’t figure out why DJ would tell Formy to avoid contact - he’s a “hard, big, and fast” style coach who loves contact. Formy projects as a physical 3LW perfectly suited to fast, physics play. Norris, Stutzle, Pinto etc are all younger and “allowed” to deliver the odd knock.

I can see the coaching staff focusing on having the forwards covering their man, playing solid positional hockey, smart defence rather than going for big hits. Similar to the way Borowiecki changed from a heat seeking missile into a more controlled defenceman.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I hope we do not see Murray, White and Zaitsev on the roster next season but it will be difficult to trade them without taking back something such as a reclamation project, declining old vet or retaining salary. I am afraid of Dorion's penchant for acquiring declining old vets.
It will be very difficult.

I don't think there's any chance Murray gets traded even with a sweetener. It'll be buyout or keep him imo and I think something happens here just to be rid of the distraction.

Zaitsev will take a decent sweetener and some salary back most likely. I'm 50/50 on that happening, but I think there will be effort to do so at minimum.

White hopefully can just be moved with some mild salary retention, but I think this is the least likely out of the 3 to be moved.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It will be very difficult.

I don't think there's any chance Murray gets traded even with a sweetener. It'll be buyout or keep him imo and I think something happens here just to be rid of the distraction.

Zaitsev will take a decent sweetener and some salary back most likely. I'm 50/50 on that happening, but I think there will be effort to do so at minimum.

White hopefully can just be moved with some mild salary retention, but I think this is the least likely out of the 3 to be moved.
Possible - in the meantime he’s soft ….

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
That would be one heck of an offseason. I can't help but think that expecting all 3 of those problems to be dealt with is expecting too much, but I hope for the exact same.

Cut your losses, move on, and next man up.

Yea, how sad is that. These predictions are not even asinine.

I think White's gone for sure. He was in trade rumor talks, Bruce said he's being actively shopped around, and his buyout is peanuts. White is gone for sure.

Moreover, bringing in Hamonic it means Zaitsev's days are numbered, imo. Either him or Brannstrom. I do not foresee us at all going into next season with both Brannstrom and Zaitsev. Since Brannstrom is still young, and Thomson knocking on the door, Zaitsev is as good as gone. But this is the only one I truly have reservations about.

Chabot-Hamonic
Sanderson-Zub
MDZ/Holden/Brann-Brann/Zaitsev/Holden

Too much congestion, especially with Lassi Thomson and JBD down in Belleville nearing long looks.

IMO, Matt Murray is also gone after that contract extension for Forsberg. No budget team signs a backup for almost 3 million when their "starter" makes 6.25. Unless we expect to LTIR Matt Murray; which is same as us basically moving him.

Writing is on the wall for him.

Ergo, at minimum, I expect White, Murray, and 1 of MDZ/Brann/Zaitsev gone.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While I would like to see them send a few guys packing I doubt it all happens over this summer or even next season. If they are again out of the playoffs next season then I could see them moving on from a few UFAs & maybe a couple of players if they can find a trading partner.

If not they could be forced to carry them a little longer. I would like to see them move on from Zaitsev, White, Brannstrom & probably Murray although at times he has played some great games, but seems injury prone. If we add Tierny to that group that's around $20 mil that could go towards other players & likely will as they move on from them. I also expect them to move on from Gaudette, Gambrell, Ennis & Mete. Watson will be in his last yr next season & it could be his last yr here as well.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
While I would like to see them send a few guys packing I doubt it all happens over this summer or even next season. If they are again out of the playoffs next season then I could see them moving on from a few UFAs & maybe a couple of players if they can find a trading partner.

If not they could be forced to carry them a little longer. I would like to see them move on from Zaitsev, White, Brannstrom & probably Murray although at times he has played some great games, but seems injury prone. If we add Tierny to that group that's around $20 mil that could go towards other players & likely will as they move on from them. I also expect them to move on from Gaudette, Gambrell, Ennis & Mete. Watson will be in his last yr next season & it could be his last yr here as well.
Zero chance they free $20 million from moving those guys unless they sweeten with a tonne of 1RD picks.

LTIR Murray on whatever his condition currently - it’s the easiest way to get someone to else you pay his money and all signs suggest he’s happy to collect.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm quite sure that if Kelly doesn't work out on the top line they will change it up as they often do & lines don't always stay the same. The other option would be to put Batherson back on the top line & put C. Brown with Stutzle. Kelly's fast & has shown he can score so it will be interesting how they do. I also don't think it matters who plays with Tkachuk & Norris those guys are going to score regardless of who plays with them. Maybe Parker Kelly turns into Chris Kelly who did very well when he got promoted to the top line. :laugh: It's much more likely that DJ simply doesn't want to mess with his other lines & is trying to build some consistency.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I am a Parker Kelly supporter but come on .. top line duty to see what you have.

That is ridiculous.

Guess I should delete my post about a guy like Boucher not being a good fit with Brady/Norris...NHL coach is doing it so it must make sense!

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That is ridiculous.

Guess I should delete my post about a guy like Boucher not being a good fit with Brady/Norris...NHL coach is doing it so it must make sense!

Nothing ridiculous at all… Kelly is working hard and at 5 goals is scoring at a higher rate than many other forwards we have tried in a scoring role.

They have a depleted roster - nothing to worry about.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I watched Fridays game I shit you know I had ZERO idea he was even playing until he played a puck with a high stick and they showed a replay like late in the third.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Senyshyn stats in AHL this season

RWPRO51191231814510.610.2712513033.3

RWBEL1302214000.150.31180100.0

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I watched Fridays game I shit you know I had ZERO idea he was even playing until he played a puck with a high stick and they showed a replay like late in the third.

I totally forgtwe got him... Really like him in his draft year, wanted him with our second (obviously Bos had other ideas lol) hope he does well with the change in scenery

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Senyshyn stats in AHL this season

RWPRO51191231814510.610.2712513033.3

RWBEL1302214000.150.31180100.0

The pressure of high expectations is just not for everyone. Some players thrive under the pressure while others let it get to their head and it completely changes their progression curve.

A player who thinks he is getting picked in the second or third round that gets picked in the 1st round now thinks they have to be something they are not, and something definitely changes in their game or their training, schedule, routine, mentality towards the game etc. which ultimately affects their development.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nothing ridiculous at all… Kelly is working hard and at 5 goals is scoring at a higher rate than many other forwards we have tried in a scoring role.

They have a depleted roster - nothing to worry about.
Was never worried and I understand why - same reason Mete was a winger last night.

Still seems odd with the options they had but whatever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad