2021-2022 Regular Season Discussion Thread - Part 2

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
If Dallas wants to stay in the conversation for 7th, they probably need 3 points. They do not have the tiebreaker. If Nashville wins both games, Dallas can't finish 7th.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Everyone seems to have selective amnesia. Am I doing it right?

:sarcasm:

Neither one is ideal, but it is interesting, curious, how much people are reading into a team that's locked up 1st place in the West a while ago.
Look out East. Tampa took off six weeks playing footsie with the competition. Now, in the past week, Tampa decided to start trying again and have been destroying teams.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Everyone seems to have selective amnesia. Am I doing it right?

:sarcasm:

Neither one is ideal, but it is interesting, curious, how much people are reading into a team that's locked up 1st place in the West a while ago.
Did I ban him for too long

LT

XXXX - XXXX - ____ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
Calgary probably beats us within 5 games in those playoffs with a healthy Tkachuk and a bit less luck on that last second Pavelski goal. Their roster hasn't changed a ton since then, it's only gotten better really.

Neither CGY or COL are good matchups.

RefalancheStillLose

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Calgary probably beats us within 5 games in those playoffs with a healthy Tkachuk and a bit less luck on that last second Pavelski goal. Their roster hasn't changed a ton since then, it's only gotten better really.

Neither CGY or COL are good matchups.
I mean we also probably beat Calgary in 5 games if Bishop was healthy instead of having to use Khudobin.

Reactions: LT and Kipper 17

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The Stars biggest issue compared to two years ago is how much worse their old core has gotten in just two years. Benn , Seguin , Klingberg and Radulov are nowhere near as good as two years ago and they already weren't that great that year either. Klingberg was amazing in the later playoff rounds though.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
someone tell me why klinger gets so lackadaisical with the puck? it's almost as if when he has possession, he thinks the defenders will just concede that they can't take if from him, so they won't attack.

.... aaaaand there he's dispossessed again.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Reactions: DieselPig

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
The Stars biggest issue compared to two years ago is how much worse their old core has gotten in just two years. Benn , Seguin , Klingberg and Radulov are nowhere near as good as two years ago and they already weren't that great that year either. Klingberg was amazing in the later playoff rounds though.
I agree with most however Sequin is better than he was 2 years ago in that series. He can actually skate now.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I agree with most however Sequin is better than he was 2 years ago in that series. He can actually skate now.

In the playoff sure but in the regular season prior to him getting injured ( i think it happened in like February 2020 he said ? ) he was of course better than what he is now.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I don't think the old core is that much worse.

Benn I think is basically the same player now as he was 2 years ago.
- He was on pace for 46 points 2 years ago.
- He has 46 points this year, on pace for 47.

Klingberg I think is a bit worse but not that much.
- He was on pace for 45 points 2 years ago.
- He has 46 points this year, on pace for 51.

Seguin was better in the regular season 2 years ago but he was wrecked for the playoff run. He should be more useful this year.

Radulov deserves his healthy scratches, nuf said.

Overall, I think this team is better on paper than the team that played in the bubble simply because of Otter, Hintz and Robo. Otter is better now than bubble Dobby and Hintz and Robo are better now than the two best forwards from that playoff run except for Pavelski, but we still have him.

I'm not saying I expect much from this team in the playoffs though. Regardless of how they compare to the bubble team, they are an inferior team to both their potential first round opponents. But you never know what will happen, I sure as shit didn't expect a run to the finals 2 years ago.

Edit: If I f'ed up the simple math, please call me out.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
someone tell me why klinger gets so lackadaisical with the puck? it's almost as if when he has possession, he thinks the defenders will just concede that they can't take if from him, so they won't attack.

.... aaaaand there he's dispossessed again.
Klingberg being casual with the puck is what lets him make the great plays he does. It's what lead to the pretty Robertson deflection. Sometimes him being casual ends up in turnover. Some of those turnovers end up as goals. Most of the time, his casual efforts work out for the better, but late in the game, he had several in a row.

Reactions: DieselPig

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I don't think the old core is that much worse.

Benn I think is basically the same player now as he was 2 years ago.
- He was on pace for 46 points 2 years ago.
- He has 46 points this year, on pace for 47.

Klingberg I think is a bit worse but not that much.
- He was on pace for 45 points 2 years ago.
- He has 46 points this year, on pace for 51.

Seguin was better in the regular season 2 years ago but he was wrecked for the playoff run. He should be more useful this year.

Radulov deserves his healthy scratches, nuf said.

Overall, I think this team is better on paper than the team that played in the bubble simply because of Otter, Hintz and Robo. Otter is better now than bubble Dobby and Hintz and Robo are better now than the two best forwards from that playoff run except for Pavelski, but we still have him.

I'm not saying I expect much from this team in the playoffs though. Regardless of how they compare to the bubble team, they are an inferior team to both their potential first round opponents. But you never know what will happen, I sure as shit didn't expect a run to the finals 2 years ago.

Edit: If I f'ed up the simple math, please call me out.
Points wise maybe so but in terms of shot share metrics all three guys have seen big declines in even strength CF% numbers from 2019-20 to 2021-22.

Benn 51.3% -> 46.5%
Seguin 50.2% -> 47.5%
Klingberg 51.1% -> 49.8%

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Food for thought because it is so hotly debated. Does it matter if Dallas plays Colorado or Calgary if and when they clinch? Does it matter who they match up better against? Yes, but not for the reason that is being tossed around.

It's actually a fairly pointless debate about Colorado vs. Calgary, and I think I could prove it easily. It's almost impossible to imagine the team that makes it out of the Western Conference will not either be Colorado, Calgary, or a team that beat both of them. I'd be willing to bet a large amount of money that this statement will prove to be true. It's possible for sure that both Colorado and Calgary could get upset in Round 1 or 2, but I'd it's not likely. It's hard to imagine both juggernauts stumbling immediately. Again not impossible, but it seems improbable.

The path to the Stanley Cup for Minnesota, St. Louis, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Nashville, and hopefully Dallas will likely require those teams to play and defeat both Colorado and Calgary to get to the Stanley Cup.

So the only question left is would you rather, assuming you even get by Round 1, face the winner of Edmonton/Los Angeles or Minnesota/St. Louis. It's not even a debate. Zero question.

I don't think the Stars are going to win the Stanley Cup, and I'd definitely recommend saving your money betting for them to win against Calgary or Colorado in Round 1. That's not really what matters though. You want the easiest path to the Stanley Cup, and it's not even close that the Pacific path is one that is less daunting and more manageable than the Central.

Just because I'm realistic about their chances though about not having much of a fighting chance doesn't mean that I'm fully hoping for upsets. The moment they clinch ... total fanboyin'.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
This is hysterical. Holy hell I love Dallas' arena team. This is clearly in response to SJ posting a message on their jumbotron that spelled out f*** VEGAS or something like that.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
It was f*** the Knights. I saw somewhere earlier it was verified as real.

1651107670276.png

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
IIRC ... it was actually the SJ staff that posted the message. A fan paid to have that message displayed during the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad