2021-2022 Regular Season Discussion Thread - Part 2

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Heiskanen is held without a goal next game, that'll be 40 straight games without one for him (and only 16 assists in that span). As of right now he's got 1 goal in his last 55 games

Hasn't scored in 2022 yet

Reactions: DieselPig

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If Heiskanen is held without a goal next game, that'll be 40 straight games without one for him (and only 16 assists in that span). As of right now he's got 1 goal in his last 55 games

Hasn't scored in 2022 yet

To compare since Miro's last goal...
Miro 0 goals 16 assists
Dahlin 7 goals 28 assists
Makar 14 goals 45 assists
Q. Hughes 5 goals 31 assists

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm not waiting for the Vancouver result. Got an early morning.

Dallas' magic number is 5 for Vegas and 3 for Vancouver. Vancouver regulation loss drops that magic number to 1. OT/SO loss drops the number to 2.

If at minimum, Vancouver loses in OT/SO tonight and Vegas loses in OT/SO tomorrow, Tuesday's game gives Dallas its first shot at clinching the playoffs. They'd need a regulation win against Vegas.

Vancouver lost 6-3. Magic number for Vancouver is now 1

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Little side note after tonight's game:

With 2 assists tonight, Robertson will officially finish this regular season as a point-per-game player. Now just need him to get 2 more goals. He's got 3 games to hit 40. Sucks he missed 8 games this season otherwise he'd easily have it

Reactions: Dynamite Time

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
How did Karlström look in the 2 NHL games he played?

Don't take this as a negative, but he was more noticeable in the 1st game ... even outside the assist he picked up that game I remember him creating some chances. I didn't notice him in a negative way last night at all. He also only played less than 5 minutes though. That's not surprising given Dallas fell behind early, and the coach is notorious for shortening the bench quickly.

Through 2 games he's looked fine, but it's hard to give you a fair assessment when he played around 13 minutes between those 2 games.

I already thought his increased role in the AHL he's earned probably was going to give him a legitimate look at the start of next season in the NHL, and I'd say this performance so far just cements that. He'll be in a battle though. Dallas has a bunch of guys competing for limited spots.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Vegas: MoneyPuck had Vegas' odds of winning at 99.9% up 4-2 with 2 minutes to go. Lose in the shootout.

Dallas: Hold my beer ....

I can't tell if that intrusive thought is just PTSD from how abusive this team can be to fans or an effing premonition of things to come.

Reactions: Elysian and MBTendy

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Avs have lost 4 straight . There feeling incredibly human as of late . I could definitely see the stars upsetting them in the first round .

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Avs have lost 4 straight . There feeling incredibly human as of late . I could definitely see the stars upsetting them in the first round .

I agree anything is possible .... but this logic is so flawed.

A 4 game losing streak somehow means they're more susceptible to an upset, but we're just going to totally ignore the fact that Dallas had its own 3 game losing streak end? Are we also going to ignore they have 1st in the West wrapped up during their losing streak while Dallas' losing streak happened while fighting to get into the playoffs ... and they're still not in? They're falling ass-backward into the playoffs right now because multiple teams are playing poorly.

Finally, Colorado was coming off a 9-0-1 run prior to losing 4. Dallas hasn't played well in a month full of home games. They've had many brutal losses.

In the whole context of how Dallas is playing right now, I just don't see how a 4 game losing streak from Colorado is so damning to them, but Dallas' current play is inconsequential.

I'm absolutely not saying Colorado is unbeatable and there's no hope, but I am saying this past week for Colorado is way less concerning about them as a team than Dallas' entire month of April is about who they are.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

A 4 game losing streak somehow means they're more susceptible to an upset, but we're just going to totally ignore the fact that Dallas had its own 3 game losing streak end? Are we also going to ignore they have 1st in the West wrapped up during their losing streak while Dallas' losing streak happened while fighting to get into the playoffs ... and they're still not in? They're falling ass-backward into the playoffs right now because multiple teams are playing poorly.

Finally, Colorado was coming off a 9-0-1 run prior to losing 4. Dallas hasn't played well in a month full of home games. They've had many brutal losses.

In the whole context of how Dallas is playing right now, I just don't see how a 4 game losing streak from Colorado is so damning to them, but Dallas' current play is inconsequential.

I'm absolutely not saying Colorado is unbeatable and there's no hope, but I am saying this past week for Colorado is way less concerning about them as a team than Dallas' entire month of April is about who they are.
I’m just saying , the timing of the avs falling off course is a good thing . If they go into the playoffs on a skid , it will help dallas chances should we meet them in the first round . We already knew Dallas is a mediocre regular season team . Let me look at the glass half full dude .

Reactions: Kipper 17

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I’m just saying , the timing of the avs falling off course is a good thing . If they go into the playoffs on a skid , it will help dallas chances should we meet them in the first round . We already knew Dallas is a mediocre regular season team . Let me look at the glass half full dude .

That's fair. I just feel like if we use that hyper-focused lens for Colorado, only on this past week, and we're not being biased, Dallas looks just as bad under the same criteria. That's all I was saying.

The only way to spin it as a positive is to ignore Dallas' own play.

Reactions: BfantZ

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
i'm hopeful that the avs will play tight bc they're heavy favourites and it's time for them to put up or shut up. the stars have nothing to lose though.. no one (rightfully) expects anything from them. maybe we can be like CBJ vs TB a few years ago.

Reactions: BfantZ

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
I would love to have a deep playoff run. I’m just terrified them bringing back Bowness next season if that happens. Hopefully the retirement rumors are true. Nill will most likely be back so hopefully he will trust his young players instead of signing cheap vets in the off-season.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I would love to have a deep playoff run. I’m just terrified them bringing back Bowness next season if that happens. Hopefully the retirement rumors are true. Nill will most likely be back so hopefully he will trust his young players instead of signing cheap vets in the off-season.

Worrying about Bowness has made this late part of the season not as fun. I'm just going to choose to believe where there's smoke there is fire. Both Friedman and LeBrun have already brought it up at different times. I'm not going to be delusional and pretend it's a done deal, but I'm just going to try and not think about it.

If they get in, and at this point I'm still thinking it's likely, I'm going to just hope for the impossible since literally nothing about them suggests they're primed to be a Cinderella team. I don't want Bones to sour the fun of blind faith in the playoffs.

There really is nothing about that Colorado team though that feels like their vulnerable IMO. TB hadn't really gone through any great adversity before that CBJ debacle. That galvanized them I think into what they became. COL 2 years ago ... who knows what happens if they're not playing 3rd string goalies. They almost won with him in net. That was a brutal moment to build around. They get another brutal exit against Vegas last year.

Believe me, I'd give anything to be a part of the story of Colorado not taking another step forward, but I'm not betting against them. That 1st wild card is pretty critical, but also pretty unlikely. The Central is brutal.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017
Nill trust young players and not sign cheap vets? Are you thinking of another Nill cause that does not sound anything close to the Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill. Prospect will be over ripe and vets will fill bottom 6 roles. That’s the Jim Nill way.

Rory

Jun 14, 2017

True everyone can ignore the Avs play right now. They have their spot locked up. Dallas will probably waste their spot away.

That being said Dallas is a tough out for Colorado. When Dallas shows up they have shown they can beat the Avs. 2-1 series advantage this year. Key though is when Dallas shows up to play. Another key is if they get in. Not sure they will win Tuesday. Either Vegas or Dallas will most likely be knocked out in 5 games of round 1. Dallas is just too inconsistent.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Nill trust young players and not sign cheap vets? Are you thinking of another Nill cause that does not sound anything close to the Dallas Stars GM Jim Nill. Prospect will be over ripe and vets will fill bottom 6 roles. That’s the Jim Nill way.
I know I just hope he has a change of heart watching these other top teams. Wishful thinking. I hope he’s gone too lol

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Not sure about cheap or expensive vets, but seeing how the offensive dives off a cliff after the top line, it is unrealistic to expect "young players" besides Gurianov (appropriate) and Peterson (maybe too early?) to step up and close a 100-point chasm between the top 3 vs the next 3. With Klingberg likely gone, it's going to be even harder to score, so do expect some 2nd liner to come in. The UFA pool is quite decent in the 2nd liner category in Kessel, Niederreiter, Smith, Palat, Burakovsky, Rakell, Domi, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad