2021-2022 Regular Season Discussion Thread - Part 2

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Matthews likely to be suspended atvleast 1 game for cross check to dahlins head.

Dont think he will play against Dallas.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Gotta say, I did not expect Vegas and Minnesota to be the teams in free-fall right now. Both teams have won just 4 of their last 14 games.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Gotta say, I did not expect Vegas and Minnesota to be the teams in free-fall right now. Both teams have won just 4 of their last 14 games.

Still wouldn't bet against them. Vegas will get healthy before an easy month of April, and since Jan 1, they have the worst shooting percentage in the league. Unlike Dallas, the team's offense ebbs and flows like normal instead of always ebbing. Minnesota still has a solid cushion. If Dallas can make it out of March without collapsing (April has more home games against easier opponents: not that that guarantees anything as we've seen with the Ottawa games), they're probably still in it.

Reactions: Elysian

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Over the next few weeks, I am pretty sure other teams will surge and the Stars will fall back a bit for short periods. And, as David mentions, Dallas has had a history of February and/or March collapses, although most of those were pre Monty, and it seems the team has a bit more mental toughness than in those years, but it still isn't rock solid mentally.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Benn/Seguin will throw in the towel down the stretch as they already collected their pay cheques. They have no interest in post season play and would rather be golfing and on a beach.

We better hope other players step up to fill in their disappearance.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Over the next few weeks, I am pretty sure other teams will surge and the Stars will fall back a bit for short periods. And, as David mentions, Dallas has had a history of February and/or March collapses, although most of those were pre Monty, and it seems the team has a bit more mental toughness than in those years, but it still isn't rock solid mentally.

I think there are enough unsustainable things around the edges that it will be interesting to see if it catches up to them. One of the big ones was a fairly injury-free season with a roster that is ancient by NHL standards, riding Oettinger into the ground, refusing to have developed some of the rookies over the season and maybe starting too late (looking at Harley, Peterson, Damiani here), playing some forwards and d-men some silly minutes as of late, and of course, putting Radek Faksa on the ice in any situation. I still think they're better than 50/50 to make it in at this point, but it's been on a knife's edge all year long, and I think it's been a fairly lucky season in many ways.

Finding it harder and harder to bet against Jason Robertson, though, guy is a winning machine. Hintz and Pavelski have maybe slowed down a little bit, but Robertson just keeps getting better. I hope they lock him up long-term before the playoffs, if he makes an impression there I'm afraid to know what kind of money he'll demand.

I don't know what the deal is with Vegas, but their injuries are fairly severe and they're so tight to the cap they don't have room to operate much. I don't really know enough about Minnesota to say much about their situation, other than I think it's fair to say they're better than the Stars this year, slide or not, and I don't expect they'll fall out of the picture easily. I think it's going to be Vegas, Edmonton, Nashville for the last three spots, with a very, very, very outside shot of Vancouver.

Dallas is going to have to do it on straight points, though, they are not even close on tiebreakers. Currently Vegas has 26 regulation wins, Vancouver has 23, Nashville 27, Edmonton 26, and Dallas is at a measly 21.

Edit: Derp, obviously Dallas will also be in contention for the wildcard spots, I just meant that those teams will be the main competitors for it.

Last edited:

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017

Man you constantly have some bad takes.

Yes, six years of fans questioning if Benn is injured or coasting down the stretch just goes away. Benn has always been a playoff beast, the issue is getting the team there. Always has been throughout his tenure here.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Yes, six years of fans questioning if Benn is injured or coasting down the stretch just goes away. Benn has always been a playoff beast, the issue is getting the team there. Always has been throughout his tenure here.
so he doesn't want to play in the playoffs bc golf is more important, but once he's there he wants to advance?
i'm having trouble keeping up here..

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You won't believe it, but Bowness blamed Gurianov again today for the struggles of that 2nd line. Incredible lol

So Radulov is back with Benn and Seguin now. Gurianov is with Faksa and Raffl. Looks like we might see Studenic get a game after all

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Benn/Seguin will throw in the towel down the stretch as they already collected their pay cheques. They have no interest in post season play and would rather be golfing and on a beach.

We better hope other players step up to fill in their disappearance.
Would love to see your proof on that one. Seguin has been getting better all season, and I think Benn traditionally starts slow and picks it up a bit, rather than the other way around.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think there are enough unsustainable things around the edges that it will be interesting to see if it catches up to them. One of the big ones was a fairly injury-free season with a roster that is ancient by NHL standards, riding Oettinger into the ground, refusing to have developed some of the rookies over the season and maybe starting too late (looking at Harley, Peterson, Damiani here), playing some forwards and d-men some silly minutes as of late, and of course, putting Radek Faksa on the ice in any situation. I still think they're better than 50/50 to make it in at this point, but it's been on a knife's edge all year long, and I think it's been a fairly lucky season in many ways.

Finding it harder and harder to bet against Jason Robertson, though, guy is a winning machine. Hintz and Pavelski have maybe slowed down a little bit, but Robertson just keeps getting better. I hope they lock him up long-term before the playoffs, if he makes an impression there I'm afraid to know what kind of money he'll demand.

I don't know what the deal is with Vegas, but their injuries are fairly severe and they're so tight to the cap they don't have room to operate much. I don't really know enough about Minnesota to say much about their situation, other than I think it's fair to say they're better than the Stars this year, slide or not, and I don't expect they'll fall out of the picture easily. I think it's going to be Vegas, Edmonton, Nashville for the last three spots, with a very, very, very outside shot of Vancouver.

Dallas is going to have to do it on straight points, though, they are not even close on tiebreakers. Currently Vegas has 26 regulation wins, Vancouver has 23, Nashville 27, Edmonton 26, and Dallas is at a measly 21.

Edit: Derp, obviously Dallas will also be in contention for the wildcard spots, I just meant that those teams will be the main competitors for it.
Well, I agree, they have been pretty lucky with injuries, other than 3 of 4 goalies that started the season have had continual issues, with two having careers end in one season. You would have thought Nill was being overly wacky in having 4 goalies (or typically 8 D in past years) but in hockey, things happen.

I agree they will be hanging on, and their flaws may catch up with them....but the other teams in contention for the lower spots have the approximate same talent level and injury issues, and have seen a drop right now while Stars surged a bit. I am pretty sure it will see-saw right until the last day of the season. Obviously, we were all hoping other teams would put us out of our misery, assuming we don't make it, by the TDL, but that has never happened, at least not often, and I don't expect it now.

I was still hoping for a trade of, say Radulov, who seemed to be a moveable piece that might get a pick of 3rd round or lower. I wonder if the move to line no. 2 is for showcase purposes, or if they want to back the clock up a few years in hopes of more magic on a playoff run?

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
You won't believe it, but Bowness blamed Gurianov again today for the struggles of that 2nd line. Incredible lol

So Radulov is back with Benn and Seguin now. Gurianov is with Faksa and Raffl. Looks like we might see Studenic get a game after all

Yeah I've had it with Rick Bones. I've pretty much all but stopped watching Dallas games. His decision making makes me actively avoid the team and not sure I want to waste my nights anymore until he's gone.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Trade showcase for Rads maybe? Or more "gut feel" and one last chance at rekindling the former top line chemistry. The funny thing is, Rads looks like Rads running around out there in his previous 5 minutes per game, and has looked even better lately. So, yes, gut feel, but not totally unfounded, even if it shows Bones bias towards "experienced vets" over faster youth.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Is Bowness wrong here? We all enjoyed those two weeks where Gurianov was starting to look like a consistent contributor back in early January, but it's now March.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Is Bowness wrong here? We all enjoyed those two weeks where Gurianov was starting to look like a consistent contributor back in early January, but it's now March.

Just 1 less point than Seguin in his last 8 games, so on his season-long pace still. He's been fine. Leads that line in goals since mid February. Gotta go back to February 11th for Benn & Seguin to have more goals. Gurianov has been a consistent producer since December 20th. 17 points in 26 games in that span. Benn is at 18 points since that time, but with prime usage. Seguin with 21 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad