2021-2022 Regular Season Discussion Thread - Part 2

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Johnson seems like a guy you want to make the team next season because he's a guy that is made for the PP. The second unit all season doesn't have anyone with any creativity to their game. They make vanilla decisions and the opposition knows what they want to do every time. Let a guy like Johnson add a spark to the unit.

Both he and Bourque are powerplay wizards. Would be really strong additions to that 2nd unit for sure

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bring them in for playoffs .

In DeFranks article (I think it was today?), he asked Nill about what the plans were if their teams got eliminated from the playoffs early, and he said if any of them got eliminated earlier that they would only play in the AHL, including Johnston & Bourque.

Now if Texas was eliminated and the Stars somehow weren't, then I'm not sure. Don't think Nill wants them to join the team and play their first games in the playoffs

Some teams would trust their really good younger players to come in and play but definitely not Nill I feel like

Reactions: BfantZ

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
In DeFranks article (I think it was today?), he asked Nill about what the plans were if their teams got eliminated from the playoffs early, and he said if any of them got eliminated earlier that they would only play in the AHL, including Johnston & Bourque.

Now if Texas was eliminated and the Stars somehow weren't, then I'm not sure. Don't think Nill wants them to join the team and play their first games in the playoffs

Some teams would trust their really good younger players to come in and play but definitely not Nill I feel like
Good. Don’t let Bonehead ruin them.

Reactions: Elysian

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017

Your right and it’s sad because they would actually improve the power play .

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Dallas' plane, like the team, is a disappointment in Western Canada.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Id imagine they would want to start Bourque in the AHL just to get him lots of gamete since he's missed so much time this year. Could also see Stankoven start in AHL just to get used to the size of pro players (im sure he'll be fine, but just guessing what stars will do). Johnston for sure getting 9 game look and hopefully will stick. Dellandrea seems like a bottom 6 lock to me and Damiani hopefully will see some gametime

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Id imagine they would want to start Bourque in the AHL just to get him lots of gamete since he's missed so much time this year. Could also see Stankoven start in AHL just to get used to the size of pro players (im sure he'll be fine, but just guessing what stars will do). Johnston for sure getting 9 game look and hopefully will stick. Dellandrea seems like a bottom 6 lock to me and Damiani hopefully will see some gametime
Stankoven is either in the nhl or WHL next season.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
And no matter how many holes are created by the departures of Klingberg, Radulov, Namestnikov, and Sekera (I’m sure Raffl is back), Nill isn’t filling those holes with multiple rookies. Halrey will have played barely enough games to lose rookie status, but we might as well consider him a rookie.

Reactions: MBTendy

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
And no matter how many holes are created by the departures of Klingberg, Radulov, Namestnikov, and Sekera (I’m sure Raffl is back), Nill isn’t filling those holes with multiple rookies. Halrey will have played barely enough games to lose rookie status, but we might as well consider him a rookie.
Part of it will be the need to fill the roster with cheap contracts. I'm sure nill will sign a vet or two but some entry level deals on the roster would help

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
When Suter was signed I figured there was still some fight left in the dog. The longer the season continues the more out of place he seems to be. If the team makes the playoffs and he suddenly finds another gear, fine. Otherwise yet another anchor.

Reminds me of Benn, only worse. Slow and lazy.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Reminds me of Benn, only worse. Slow and lazy.
Suter also plays a position where skating limitations show up more directly in scoring chances against. It's a lot easier for a dude who loses puck battles to hide as a winger because the opponent still has to go 100+ feet and has to get past back checking forwards and defensemen to make something happen.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Suter gets bought out again.

Reactions: LT and The Tourist

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Suter also plays a position where skating limitations show up more directly in scoring chances against. It's a lot easier for a dude who loses puck battles to hide as a winger because the opponent still has to go 100+ feet and has to get past back checking forwards and defensemen to make something happen.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Suter gets bought out again.

I think the odds of him getting bought out increase if it's a new GM, but I have a hard time imagining Nill will admit defeat 1 season in. I'm sure internally they'll talk about Pavelski's struggle to adjust in Year 1 and expect more from him next season.

The buyout is very reasonable though and probably the best course of action.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think the odds of him getting bought out increase if it's a new GM, but I have a hard time imagining Nill will admit defeat 1 season in. I'm sure internally they'll talk about Pavelski's struggle to adjust in Year 1 and expect more from him next season.

The buyout is very reasonable though and probably the best course of action.
My guess is it is probably more likely next summer. Partly the buyout doesn't go as long, but mostly I don't see the Stars wanting to be in the business of trying to replace two of their top 4 D this summer. They'll go into next season with Suter because it's the easiest path for now.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Does Suter still have pretty good fancy stats, or have those come down recently? I saw this posted a couple of weeks ago:

aawv51d1a1s81.png

Seems like he's outplaying his contract right now? Do fans only care about analytics when they reinforce a preconceived belief, e.g. young player = good, veteran = bad?

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Does Suter still have pretty good fancy stats, or have those come down recently? I saw this posted a couple of weeks ago:

aawv51d1a1s81.png

Seems like he's outplaying his contract right now? Do fans only care about analytics when they reinforce a preconceived belief, e.g. young player = good, veteran = bad?
1650762126743.png

His defense is suspect and he's worthless on the PP.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Nashville loses in regulation. Every single team in the wildcard picture is not really too interested in doing much winning.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm not waiting for the Vancouver result. Got an early morning.

Dallas' magic number is 5 for Vegas and 3 for Vancouver. Vancouver regulation loss drops that magic number to 1. OT/SO loss drops the number to 2.

If at minimum, Vancouver loses in OT/SO tonight and Vegas loses in OT/SO tomorrow, Tuesday's game gives Dallas its first shot at clinching the playoffs. They'd need a regulation win against Vegas.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Clinching priority 1, whenever we can ..( so go Sharks tomorrow)

But, still think Nashville is in range to be overtaken with their tough run, they play both Minnesota and St Louis who are still competing for home ice in their playoff matchup and alot to play for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad