Prospect Info: 2021-2022 Prospect Info

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
FWIW I think we still have 3 more years to sign Rizzo since this was his first season with Denver. He's looking like a home run pick already. Might wait 1 more year to sign him just from a contract management standpoint if he feels he has anything left to do at the NCAA level.

Hmmh. He was drafted in 2019 at the age of 18... I *guess* he became college student prior his second June 1 after his draft, as we are still reported to be holding his rights. (Otherwise he would have re-entered the draft in 2021.)

If so, it goes by the sub-sections (iii) and (iv) of CBA 8.6: even if he drops out of college, we still hold his rights at least to his schedules graduation year (year four). The exact date depends on if he drops out prior or after his scheduled final year.

(iii) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive rights of negotiation for his services through and including the August 15 following the graduation of his college class.
(iv) If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19, who had received a Bona Fide Offer in accordance with Section 8.6(a)(ii) above, becomes a bona fide college student prior to the second June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student.
(v) If a Player drafted at age 20 or older is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection or becomes a bona fide college student while his drafting Club retains exclusive rights, then his drafting Club shall retain those rights until the later of: (a) the second June 1 following the date of his selection, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility and the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year, or (2) is in his fourth year of college, is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year and the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year, or (3) remains a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2) or (3), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including August 15 of that calendar year.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Do they no longer do the Justin Schultz thing? In that case, I believe you could withdraw from college at the end of what would have been your senior year had you been in college from D + 1 and declare yourself a UFA.
Schultz could use that option because he played in the BCHL in his D+1 year and then went to the NCAA afterwards. I think Blake Wheeler was a similar situation except he played in the USHL.

Reactions: DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I say still try to sign him now.

I think we try and move some older guys at draft day so we should have plenty of contract spaces. Plus he is already 20. Lets get him rolling.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Schultz could use that option because he played in the BCHL in his D+1 year and then went to the NCAA afterwards. I think Blake Wheeler was a similar situation except he played in the USHL.
Yes, I know this. Rizzo played in the BCHL in his D+1 and then nowhere last season.

Reactions: DaveG

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
my feeling is still generally that the idea of ncaa kids stiffing their drafting teams is magnified here because of what we went through with adam fox. it's not my opinion that rizzo's stock has gone nuclear with brink and savoie and the goalie getting so much love. it would be devastating to denver to have him go pro as they try to defend that title. he needs to stay at least another year and try to stabilize the program through some big departures. the contract will be waiting for him. we're not ready for him and he's not ready for us.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Looking for info on players who made their NHL debut last season. Can anyone here tell me a bit about these guys like what role they played last season, what type of player they are and what their future outlook could be? Thanks!!

Jack Drury
Pyotr Kochetkov
Jack Lafontaine

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Looking for info on players who made their NHL debut last season. Can anyone here tell me a bit about these guys like what role they played last season, what type of player they are and what their future outlook could be? Thanks!!

Jack Drury
Pyotr Kochetkov
Jack Lafontaine
Drury I think got off to a bit of a slow start in the AHL (as did many of our prospect-level players behind the AHL vets), but he got called up during the Covid shortage, potted a couple hard-working goals from the 4th line, did not look out of place at all. Sent him back once everyone was back and he just tore it up the rest of the year in the AHL. Ended up with 20G - 52PTS in 68 GP. Very good chance the 4C spot is his to lose next year. I think we're hoping he'll sort of be our Staal replacement (low end 2C/high end 3C)

Kochetkov also started rough (his first game he let in something like 8 goals), got spotty starts, but eventually took over the starter role for Novgorod and put up some damn good numbers once he started getting some starts. KHL season ended for him, he was released, came over and immediately made an impact in the AHL as Chicago's starter (literally everyone else except Lafontaine was/is injured). Went 13-1-2 with a .921 SV. He's looked decent, though not spectacular during his NHL callup. Another year of AHL development will probably do him wonders with us hoping he'll be ready for at least backup duties year after next.

Lafontaine...well...just no. He was beyond putrid in his 1 NHL start, 7 goals, most soft. He's been pretty bad in Chicago too. Guessing he'll likely just be let go at the end of the year unless they really see something in him to develop

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Jack Drury
Pyotr Kochetkov
Jack Lafontaine
Drury was a covid fill in. Drury is a solid all around player whose hockey IQ must be off the charts. He doesnt have an elite measurable quantity about him. He is regularly in the right spot at the right time to make a play. He can play in all scenarios. Drury, if he can add speed to his skating, could be out version of Cirelli or he could be a really good 4C. Hard to say at this point but he'll be a regular NHLer.

Kochetkov was an injury fill in that doesnt happen if Ukraine invasion and COVID doesnt happen. He is a very athletic goalie who makes up for his positioning issues with it. As he matures and corrects his positioning issues, his athleticism will allow him to make stops on really good offensive plays. He looks like he is tracking to be a NHL goalie and how high up the charts of NHL starters he can climb will be dependent on how much he cleans up his positioning.

Lafontaine was an injury fill in that was convinced to leave college when Minnesota didnt look like a national runner up. He has decent positioning and decent side to side. I havent seen anything that makes him stand out as a NHL starter. If I were to guess he has one good run in the NHL but bounces around as a 3rd goalie for as long as he wants to stick around hockey.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
With both goalies signed I would assume Koochie is the starter in the AHL with some injury fill in appearances on the Canes. The following year is available for him to grab a job unless he outplays Raanta in camp to the point they keep him up. Which is unlikely with Rod’s general preference for vets. You gotta play like Jarvis to knock out a vet.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I find it weird that Honka didn't get signed.
Kokkonen, Nikkanen, Rindell, Nousiainen, Kinnunen, Johansson, Petman, Seppälä are some Liiga prospects who got signed at the end of this season and I'd say Honka is a better prospect than all of these guys, except maybe Nousiainen.
Of course, different NHL teams operate in different ways, but Leafs signed Axel Rindell, and that guy was mostly just awful. Like a way worse version of Honka.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I find it weird that Honka didn't get signed.
Kokkonen, Nikkanen, Rindell, Nousiainen, Kinnunen, Johansson, Petman, Seppälä are some Liiga prospects who got signed at the end of this season and I'd say Honka is a better prospect than all of these guys, except maybe Nousiainen.
Of course, different NHL teams operate in different ways, but Leafs signed Axel Rindell, and that guy was mostly just awful. Like a way worse version of Honka.
I wouldn't be shocked if he signs early in the off-season, we'll see how it goes but it's not like we won't have openings in Chicago on D.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Honka will turn 22 on 10/5/22. My guess is he’s waiting til then to sign his ELC to shave off a year from 3 to 2 with him being 22 at time of signing vs. 21.

It seems like he should have already announced his Liiga team if it were 100% he were headed back there next season. He is probably being extra cautious due to what his brother went through.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The thing about Honka is that he had the rep of being disengaged and just being bad defensively. Since his draft, he's worked on that part of his game. While he's not a shut down guy, he is a 1st pairing guy and has clearly improve on his defense.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Honka will turn 22 on 10/5/22. My guess is he’s waiting til then to sign his ELC to shave off a year from 3 to 2 with him being 22 at time of signing vs. 21.

It seems like he should have already announced his Liiga team if it were 100% he were headed back there next season. He is probably being extra cautious due to what his brother went through.
The ELC signing age of the player is determined by his age on September 15 of the calendar year when he signs the ELC. If Honka signs in 2022, it's 3 years no matter what. (The same date is the cutout point for birthdays after which a "late birthday" guy is only eligible at the next entry draft.)

The players don't get to game this stuff like this, only the teams get the benefit when some would-be UFA sillily goes and turns 27 only after June 30.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The ELC signing age of the player is determined by his age on September 15 of the calendar year when he signs the ELC. If Honka signs in 2022, it's 3 years no matter what. (The same date is the cutout point for birthdays after which a "late birthday" guy is only eligible at the next entry draft.)

The players don't get to game this stuff like this, only the teams get the benefit when some would-be UFA sillily goes and turns 27 only after June 30.

Thought I was onto something, ah well

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thought I was onto something, ah well
The silence around Honka is curious. It was reported a while back that he's not staying in Jyp, but there's only unsubstantiated and conflicting rumors where he will be going. If I had to guess, they are waiting something somewhere to clear out first before signings/announcements.

Jukurit

May 16, 2022
I didn't watch that many games of Honka this season, because JYP is bad and wathing them is painful most of the time, but I thought Honka's defensive game was clearly improved. Not a huge hazard like he used to be. Of course, still has some defensive flaws, but improvement is improvement.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I didn't watch that many games of Honka this season, because JYP is bad and wathing them is painful most of the time, but I thought Honka's defensive game was clearly improved. Not a huge hazard like he used to be. Of course, still has some defensive flaws, but improvement is improvement.
Thank you for your analysis. I'm hopeful Honka comes over to learn the North American game and, mostly, to play on a winning team. For sure Chicago will lose some of its veteran talent but it will still be completely loaded next year. To top it off, most fans have a ton of faith in Ryan Warsofsky to coach the players into our system and to develop them to play the game the right way. Who knows? Maybe that's one reason why Jalen Chatfield looked a little better in NHL games here than he did in Vancouver. Especially if one of Keane or Chat makes the big club, there will be plenty of room for him to play minutes in Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad