Prospect Info: 2021-2022 Prospect Info

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
That's probably why we don't mind mining locations where prospects will develop outside of our system for a while. Time will tell how that all works out.

I'm a fan of it. Can get a bunch of gems from those European leagues with enough dart throws (and we've had many more dart throws in recent years).

Reactions: A Star is Burns

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That's probably why we don't mind mining locations where prospects will develop outside of our system for a while. Time will tell how that all works out.
Agreed. I’m a little concerned it’s not a priority to TD or maybe parts of the regime in general. TD wants to spend the money on the team and nowhere else, he may not fully wrap his head around the need to spend on the AHL for proper development.

I don’t believe no one in the office sees the value in investing there.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm a fan of it. Can get a bunch of gems from those European leagues with enough dart throws (and we've had many more dart throws in recent years).
I agree. I liked the model we had with Charlotte better, but stuff and egos happen I guess. If you are going with this model, I think we're doing it the correct way. Doesn't mean it will work, but it seems logical enough. And it has me more intrigued than when we went forever and a day without scouting Russia, for instance.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Agreed. I’m a little concerned it’s not a priority to TD or maybe parts of the regime in general. TD wants to spend the money on the team and nowhere else, he may not fully wrap his head around the need to spend on the AHL for proper development.

I don’t believe no one in the office sees the value in investing there.
Yeah, that's probably correct. I think they see prospects, outside of the top few, to be a means to an end, i.e. acquiring the Trocheck's, Haula's, Vatanen's, etc. of the world. It's worked out well so far, but it's really difficult to say what will become of it long term. We really will have to be a combination of lucky, working with a large enough quantity of darts, and good to make it work.

But, at the same time, we have had the odd Lorentz success on the lower end of the prospect spectrum, so there might be exceptions.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Chicago wants to win but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t care about player development. Charlotte wasn’t going to spend a ton of money of player salaries. So we had very prospect laden teams. Those 70-90k AHL salaries are cheaper than 150-200k ones.

We went to Chicago for the sole reason we saw earlier this season. We can patch the leaky holes in the boat with AHL veterans / AAAA guys. Giving us a better chance at winning and keep the prospects playing more in a lower league. They would only get 8 minutes a night here.

with Chicago footing a lot more of the bill than Charlotte, we can afford more veterans. It also allows us to keep our European prospects in Europe, closer to their support systems, potentially in scenarios much like the AHL (playing behind veterans learning the game), and playing in arguably equal to or better professional leagues than the AHL. With communications today, we can track and coach a prospect half way across the world with no real increase in expenses or loss of effectiveness.

Chicago is going to win more because they are going to have a ton of veterans compared to other teams. We have our hand picked head coach running that show. On top of that, we are running a system that matches ours. What could be more prospect development than learning how to play hockey like the big club, prepping you for 10+ minutes of ice time when it’s your turn as a 21-23 year old? The prospects will learn from those AHL veterans too.

just because they aren’t a team owned farm doesn’t mean prospect development will go to crap. The team just may value prospect development differently. Also, winning is contagious. Players have to learn the dedication it takes to win at all levels. Chicago is learning that now as they are shutting teams down but everyone has to contribute on both ends to win. They are struggling with that last part right now (mostly the offensive end).

Last edited:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don’t know all the ends and outs but according to a Rangers writer, once you loan a player to the KHL they are loaned for the whole season. No take backsies. It was interesting subplot to Kravtsov saga. He was loaned to the KHL basically killing his likelihood of being traded during the season because a loan carried until the season is over. The writer could be mistaken but there aren’t clear rules anywhere else I have seen.
As I understand it, that's the case with all loans to Europe. Can't quote the CBA though.

But, the loans to KHL are an extra hassle yet. Jets' Vesalainen had an European Assignment clause which he used and insisted on being loaned to Jokerit instead of AHL, and to my recollection of one of the Jets brass said that the league brass and the KHL brass needs to get involved in such a loan. Maybe there aren't any clear rules, KHL being an unaffiliated league with no transfer agreement with NHL.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Interesting, does this affect Nikishin (after the Olympics) or Kochetkov?

I think Nikishin is on a pretty good team if I recall, so probably he stays in Russia. Kochetkov I am not sure how is team is doing, but my recollection is that they were not as good.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I think Nikishin is on a pretty good team if I recall, so probably he stays in Russia. Kochetkov I am not sure how is team is doing, but my recollection is that they were not as good.
Torpedo is the first team out of the playoffs in the west

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Until we get some read on good prospects that are spending time in Chicago, it's hard to tell if we are losing development or not.

Bokk: STL had no problems getting rid of Bokk who seemed to stagnate, or maybe even regress a little in Sweden. IIRC, consistency was the concern with him.
Suzuki hasn't been able to stay healthy.
Rees, was always a guy that was small but feisty (kind of like a less offensive McGinn). He was also injured this year.

Drury seems to be doing pretty well down there, as does Keane.

That's it for high end prospects that have been to Chicago so far.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

Yes Nikishin plays a big role for Spartak who is a good team. And he's under contract for several more seasons. No chance of him leaving the K any time soon I'd say.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I agree. I liked the model we had with Charlotte better, but stuff and egos happen I guess. If you are going with this model, I think we're doing it the correct way. Doesn't mean it will work, but it seems logical enough. And it has me more intrigued than when we went forever and a day without scouting Russia, for instance.
I agree we’re doing it the right way with the Euros given the situation but we’ve got a lot of guys here with more coming every year.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I agree we’re doing it the right way with the Euros given the situation but we’ve got a lot of guys here with more coming every year.
No doubt. And I'm conflicted. I think Charlotte was proof that a lot of good young players in the AHL can win and win big. And of course, develop. And I do prefer that overall approach.

But, given where we currently are as far as competing for a Stanley Cup, having only a handful develop in Chicago and leaving the rest to whatever development they get in other leagues, while stocking Chicago with guys that can come up and give you solid NHL shifts when needed might not be a bad strategy.

It'll be interesting to see how Chicago evolves as well. Last year, they let a lot of young guys play when there was nowhere else for them to play and the other guys were on the taxi squad at times. I don't feel like there are currently a ton of guys that we are missing in Chicago that should absolutely be there. But come next year, to your point, that will begin changing more and more each year. Will they hold back on 2-3 of the vets they have this year in that situation? It'll be interesting to follow.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
QMJHL is returning this weekend. We get to witness the rust of players beginning the season again. Yay

Reactions: DaveG

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It would be insane. I think Jared Spurgeon is 5'9". Has there ever been a 5'7" defenseman make the show? I can think of a handful of 5'10" folks but I don't know if I've ever seen 5'7". It's almost Nathan Gerbe, but Gerbe was a forward. I am a total skeptic for Fensore because of his size. He has to be absolutely elite, totally perfect in his puck moving and positioning skills. With his size, I can't imagine him handling bigger NHL forwards that have 6 inches and maybe 50+ pounds on him if he can't outmuscle them or reach them with his small wingspan. I hope he does make it, but until he starts proving it in the AHL I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
BU has Fensmore listed as 5-9 now
aP1LT1.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad