Prospect Info: 2021-2022 Prospect Info

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
NHL TEAM PROSPECT POOL STRENGTH RANKINGS (JULY 2021 - POST DRAFT)

Prospect.png

source: Byron Bader

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
NHL TEAM PROSPECT POOL STRENGTH RANKINGS (JULY 2021 - POST DRAFT)

View attachment 459013

source: Byron Bader

That ranking skews heavily on star power because, well, the high draft picks are the most likely to become impact guys, which obviously is fair. Canes are tied with Los Angeles at #1, however, in the key metric for long-term roster sustainability, aka. the "30% NHLers". There's an insane amount of guys on our farm that have NHL role player potential.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Too high or too low? We definitely aren’t what we were a few years ago.
Hockey Prospecting standardizes player scoring across the board and uses historical performances to chart how prospects will perform in the NHL. Our model removes intangible biases such as age, size, league, position and nationality. We do this by putting all players on the same playing field, based on their offensive production. Too often a player’s size, age or background is held against them. Not here.

Trying to weigh QMJHL the same as SHL, Liiga, etc seems like a mistake to me. One has one of the worst defense focus and the other is playing against men.

Maybe I am not understanding all of it but from their descriptions it seems suspect.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hockey Prospecting standardizes player scoring across the board and uses historical performances to chart how prospects will perform in the NHL. Our model removes intangible biases such as age, size, league, position and nationality. We do this by putting all players on the same playing field, based on their offensive production. Too often a player’s size, age or background is held against them. Not here.

Trying to weigh QMJHL the same as SHL, Liiga, etc seems like a mistake to me. One has one of the worst defense focus and the other is playing against men.

Naybe I am not understanding all of it but from their descriptions it seems suspect.
I agree they aren’t all the same but I doubt many will agree about how much or which direction. The Q is useless for judging but I’ve found all euro leagues to be equally useless for extrapolating anything in terms of offense by looking at stats. Different mindset and roles.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I agree they aren’t all the same but I doubt many will agree about how much or which direction. The Q is useless for judging but I’ve found all euro leagues to be equally useless for extrapolating anything in terms of offense by looking at stats. Different mindset and roles.
I agree but their entire model is based on offense. How are Euro prospects measured accurately when scoring 20 points as a 17 year is amazing! Or putting up more than a PPG in the Q is not the cream of the crop?

Then you start looking at Toronto is 4th and was last year? Calgary, Toronto, and Minnesota over Rangers, NJ, and Ottawa? That model looks bad.
Again maybe Im not giving it a fair shake.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Is Bokk playing in Germany? He calls it the pre-season in an Insta story. The team he's playing with starts the season on 9/10.

re: the rankings above..it was posted on several hockey news and blogger accounts on Twitter and Instagram and on some team sites on Reddit. Supposedly, the group is known for taking a difference approach as well as having less inherent fan bias in the assessments?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

Is Bokk playing in Germany? He calls it the pre-season in an Insta story. The team he's playing with starts the season on 9/10.

re: the rankings above..it was posted on several hockey news and blogger accounts on Twitter and Instagram and on some team sites on Reddit. Supposedly, the group is known for taking a difference approach as well as having less inherent fan bias in the assessments?

I believe Aho still skates with his old Finnish team in preseasons. This is probably something similar.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Can we do the prospect ranking thing? Apologies if I haven't seen it yet.

Also, I know it's probably more accurate do to the thing where we all PM DaveG our top 20 list and then Dave aggregates them and figures out a ranking. However, I think it's more fun to do the one where we vote on #1, then vote on #2, and so on down the line. Also it takes longer and frankly we have a lot of days before the season starts. Also we have a weird system where I think we'll largely have a consensus in the top 5 or so, but then have massive disparities. Our pool doesn't have the best top end, but we have the best depth in the league in that we have like 30 legit prospects, each of whom COULD pan out, but the vast majority of which will bust.

What say ye?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Can we do the prospect ranking thing? Apologies if I haven't seen it yet.

Also, I know it's probably more accurate do to the thing where we all PM DaveG our top 20 list and then Dave aggregates them and figures out a ranking. However, I think it's more fun to do the one where we vote on #1, then vote on #2, and so on down the line. Also it takes longer and frankly we have a lot of days before the season starts. Also we have a weird system where I think we'll largely have a consensus in the top 5 or so, but then have massive disparities. Our pool doesn't have the best top end, but we have the best depth in the league in that we have like 30 legit prospects, each of whom COULD pan out, but the vast majority of which will bust.

What say ye?

I'll probably be starting that up a bit later this month. No prospect camp to get a view of the new guys kinda throws a wrench in to things like seeing how they compare to guys already in our system. Though thankfully we did get a bit of a view of some like Morrow at the U-18 showcase there recently.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Per SBNation here are the Canes top 10 prospects.

10. Anttoni Honka , RHD
9. Ville Koivunen, LW
8. Pyota Kochetkov, G
7. Scott Mottow, RHD
6. Tuukka Tieksola, RW
5. Jamieson Rees, C/W
4. Dominik Bokk, RW
3. Jack Drury, C
2. Ryan Suzuki, C
1. Seth Jarvis,

Here is the link to the article

Carolina Hurricanes Top Prospects: 1-10

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
I'll probably be starting that up a bit later this month. No prospect camp to get a view of the new guys kinda throws a wrench in to things like seeing how they compare to guys already in our system. Though thankfully we did get a bit of a view of some like Morrow at the U-18 showcase there recently.
So you're suggesting we just toss them all in a blender? and see what comes out?

Reactions: DaveG

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

The details..
The Hurricanes' roster for the event features 14 players drafted by the team, including four players selected in the 2021 NHL Draft: Patrik Hamrla (third round), Bobby Orr (fifth round), Justin Robidas (fifth round) and Bryce Montgomery (sixth round). Other Hurricanes' draft picks on the roster include Ryan Suzuki (2019, first round), Seth Jarvis (2020, first round), Jack Drury (2018, second round), Jamieson Rees (2019, second round), Stelio Mattheos (2017, third round), Eetu Makiniemi (2017, fourth round), David Cotton (2015, sixth round), Jesper Sellgren (2018, sixth round), Blake Murray (2019, sixth round) and Ronan Seeley (2020, seventh round). Trade acquisitions Dominik Bokk and Joey Keane and free-agent acquisition Beck Warm will also skate for Carolina at the four-team event.
Full Roster

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The only bad thing about the "get as many darts as possible" strategy (one I think I've been the most vocal about than anyone as far as thinking it's a great idea) is that I think I'm going to have to stop having a summary level of knowledge of all of our prospects, there's just too many.

I forgot Justin Robidas existed until that post, and he's the son of a freaking NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad