Rumor: 2021-2022 Official Boston Bruins Rumors and Roster Proposal Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
But it is one of the reasons they give up so many goals with other teams goalies pulled, they don't clear out the front and bigger forwards muscle guys off the puck for goals. It may be different in the second period but if you are protecting a lead with under a minute to go your goalie needs d who will move out bodies so he can see and prevent tips.

Is it?

It's not like we have Gryz and Reilly out there trying to hold a lead in the last minute. They have McAvoy (our most physical D) and Forbort (our heaviest D and arguably our best 5on5 defender). I've said this a few times this week but are you going to pull McAvoy off the ice in the final minute? Chychrun isn't heavier or better at clearing the crease than Forbort. Neither is Giordano. Lindholm is big and strong so maybe, but not sure there are massive upgrades to be made for their last minute defense.

Reactions: PB37

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
hey randy good to see you.
What was shared with me from a source I trust along with text dom posted here was that Ducks and Bruins shared contract details of parties and Sweeney was given permission to explore extensions with parties.

Will it happen? Who knows.
But based on what I got I dont see it as premature. Not with contract permission granted anyway.
Wooooo, Juicy!:thumbu:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Don't take this as disrespectful, but maybe it's a sign that the game has changed but how you view it hasn't?

Most teams have changed the way they defend the front of the net. A decade ago, the front of the net was a war zone. You needed cement in your boots and a steel spine to set and hold a screen or position yourself for a rebound. But at some point in the last 10 years coaches and goalie coaches got together and decided that it would be more effective for the D to front shots and take away passing lanes. That it was easier for goalies if they only had to deal with one guy standing still, rather than a chaotic battle between a D and a F.

You focus on our D and how nobody pushes guys out of the way. But it's the same at the other end. Jake DeBrusk routinely sets up in front of the other teams net, and he's not hard to knock off the puck. Taylor Hall can play the role of a net front presence on the PP because NOBODY tries to move him. They just let him set up.

That's not to say that there are no net front battles. Shots get through and there are bad rebounds or deflections that go awry and then you need to either clear the puck or tie up sticks/bodies. But IMO, defenses spend more time It will never be completely gone, but IMO, teams spend most of their defensive engird on trying to prevent pucks from getting inside. That's why guys who are not considered classically good defenders post good stats, because they read the play well and defuse those opportunities, they pick off that extra pass to the middle, they get a stick on a shot, or simply clear the rebound rather than tie up the man.

Plus, the way they call the net front game is much different now. Back then, crosschecks to the back were rarely called. You can get away with it at times now but net front coverage is a far different game than it was.

Reactions: PlayMakers

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Am I nuts for not being crazy about Lindholm ? I guess it comes down to what we give up for him.

He's not an offensive dynamo, but he checks off all the boxes

- big, strong
- in his prime
- skates well
-moves the puck
- good first pass
- good defensive IQ
- minute eating machine

The Bruins can either use him as the 2nd pairing anchor or form a stud duo with McAvoy. It's definitely an exciting upgrade.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

- big, strong
- in his prime
- skates well
-moves the puck
- good first pass
- good defensive IQ
- minute eating machine

The Bruins can either use him as the 2nd pairing anchor or form a stud duo with McAvoy. It's definitely an exciting upgrade.

Thank you for this, I honestly never paid much attention to him when we played them.

Reactions: HustleB and PB37

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
No offense, but I think this is garbage.

No team in the league could overcome the level of ineptitude you people heap on our defense. If our system was that amazing, so amazing that you could throw out "3 JAGS and a lucky to be 3rd pair Smurf" and be the best defensive team in the league, everyone would do it.

And while Bergeron is great, he plays primarily with McAvoy. Our other 3 centers all rate below average defensively and that's who the defense spends the majority of their time on the ice with.

Agreed. The defense is good. The forwards are good defensively. The coaches know how to set a system to win. This is a good team, albeit one that could use some upgrades to help it's playoff push. I guess it's the hyperfocus on just one team and not seeing the league as a whole that has some people thinking the Bruins suck.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Middleton is a big risk for Sharks as they can't spend a penny more on their super expensive defense and while he is set to be an RFA, if he doesn't play 20 games then he becomes that weird UFA 6 category. One Covid protocol later and they lose him for nothing. Not acceptable as a non-playoff team.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

- big, strong
- in his prime
- skates well
-moves the puck
- good first pass
- good defensive IQ
- minute eating machine

agreed.

Id liken him to a younger and bigger Dennis Seidenberg.
Absolutely top 4 IMO.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
If the B's can get Lindholm and Rakell, could they also get Hertl and Middleton? Salary would have to go out for sure, DeBrusk being one of them, but that would be some sweet adds.
the amount of prospects and picks that would need to go out to do all that...they'd better win it all because it would be barren as f*** for years

Reactions: bbfan419

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
I like him, but I've seen some Ducks fans claiming he'll get a Chychryn-esque return.... Definitely not worth that.
Ducks fans are delusional. Lindholm is a great player who would be Boston’s automatic number two.

He’s a UFA, he will no way get what Chychrun will

Reactions: Gordoff

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I admit not seeing a ton of Lindholm but I recall No 47 having a pretty rough game against us. Albeit only one game.

This is mainly the game to which I referred. I thought I remembered the one directly before that one being rough for him, but when I looked, he wasn't a problem. Otoh, I have seen him in a few Western conference playoff games and against us and have been slightly underwhelmed.

With respect, Wally, think the Seidenberg comparison is way off. He is not really physical. He reminds me of a big Teppo Numinenn sp-not quite as good

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Yeah… Sweeney did a good job getting Hall. Why? Because he landed him… And now he’s a major part of our team.

Also, acquiring him maybe is the reason he re-signed here? He enjoyed playing in Boston. He would not have found that out if he wasn’t acquired.
Yah. He landed him because Hall cornered the Sabres and told them where he wanted to go. Adams got screwed which was good for the Bruins. Sweeney didn’t do much lifting.

Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This is mainly the game to which I referred. I thought I remembered the one directly before that one being rough for him, but when I looked, he wasn't a problem. Otoh, I have seen him in a few Western conference playoff games and against us and have been slightly underwhelmed.

With respect, Wally, think the Seidenberg comparison is way off. He is not really physical. He reminds me of a big Teppo Numinenn sp-not quite as good
Teppo Numinenn ftw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad