Rumor: 2021-2022 Official Boston Bruins Rumors and Roster Proposal Thread V

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I think we have done better with college FA then we have done with the draft.
No. They';ve gotten some good college FAs, but just looking at the rosters for the last few seasons, draft picks Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, McAvoy, Grzelcyk, Carlo, Pasta, Zboril, DeBrusk, Vaak, Swayman>>college FAs Krug, Clifton, Kuhlman. Draft pick Donato got Coyle. Most of the top NHL teams have been developed through the draft. It's a rare college free agent who becomes more than a depth NHL player.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
the whole team is pretty bad- I’ve watched several Kraken games this season and it generally isn’t pretty. I’d even go so far as to say Grubauer hasn’t been that awful, the team defense is a shit show in front of him.

Disagree on Grubs, he ranks dead last in Goals Saved Above Average at -20.9 this year. This next closest guy to him is Blackwood at -12.7 GSAA on the year. Grubs also as the 2nd worst HDSV% in the NHL among goalies with at least 10 games. I honestly am not surprised how bad he's been. Last year he had the benefit of playing for a loaded Colorado team (40% of his career SO came last year) and when you look at the other goalies that played for Colorado their 5v5 numbers (while much smaller sample size) weren't far off from Grubs

Grubs - 1.87 GAA / .921 SV%
Dubnyk - 2.19 GAA/ .920 SV%
Johansson - 1.89 GAA / .917 SV%

Reactions: The National

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I will say nothing of significance will happen with DS & Co. We will hear oh they are in on this and that but are they really. Then come trade deadline time they will make a trade to say we are all in. This will not be for the required pieces needed but just to say he made a trade for a playoff run. Then we will win maybe a round or two and then goodbye. Another wasted year and our older players heading towards the end of their careers. No time to waste if they have aspirations of winning the Cup.

Say you go all in on Hertl and you are not successful make sure you have a backup plan.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I will say nothing of significance will happen with DS & Co. We will hear oh they are in on this and that but are they really. Then come trade deadline time they will make a trade to say we are all in. This will not be for the required pieces needed but just to say he made a trade for a playoff run. Then we will win maybe a round or two and then goodbye. Another wasted year and our older players heading towards the end of their careers. No time to waste if they have aspirations of winning the Cup.

Say you go all in on Hertl and you are not successful make sure you have a backup plan.

Why do you expect things to be radically different than the last several years as a whole?

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere

Tend to agree. I want them to go all in. But there are some very good (better) teams out there. I hate to paraphrase Harry Sinden, but if they give up a ton for Hertl, they have to be damn sure they are only a Hertl away from the cup.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Why do you expect things to be radically different than the last several years as a whole?

Fwiw, Sweeney has made a lot more depth type acquisitions than Taylor Hall / impact player acquisitions, and folks here are clamoring for two impact acquisitions.

Liles, Stempniak, Holden, Wingels, Kampfer, Coyle, Mojo, Kase, Ritchie, Reilly... Lots of middle of the roster types, giving up a 2nd and a 4th or a prospect and a 3rd.

Not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing, some of those guys worked out great, just saying it’s unlikely we land two big fish.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Tend to agree. I want them to go all in. But there are some very good (better) teams out there. I hate to paraphrase Harry Sinden, but if they give up a ton for Hertl, they have to be damn sure they are only a Hertl away from the cup.

Hertl isn't/shouldn't be a "just this year" acquisition. He's a guy, who if you trade for, you do it with every intention of making him a priority to re-sign.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Gonna throw this out there as a stop-gap 2C solution for this year and next.......Jonathan Toews.

His contract is atrocious ($10.5mil AAV) so Chicago would have to retain salary, but it expires at the end of next year. He's available for the taking and solves the 2C hole for at least the next season and a half. Chicago is in full rebuild mode and he's on the table.

He's not the player he once was and its taken a while for him to get back from missing all of last year, but he's starting to find his mojo with DeBrincat and he'd slot in well with Hall and Pasta. For the "go all in" crowd, he'd be a guy to at least kick the tires on.

What a reasonable offer would be to get him, would entirely depend on what Chicago would be willing to retain in salary, but its an option...

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Fwiw, Sweeney has made a lot more depth type acquisitions than Taylor Hall / impact player acquisitions, and folks here are clamoring for two impact acquisitions.

Liles, Stempniak, Holden, Wingels, Kampfer, Coyle, Mojo, Kase, Ritchie, Reilly... Lots of middle of the roster types, giving up a 2nd and a 4th or a prospect and a 3rd.

Not necessarily saying that’s a bad thing, some of those guys worked out great, just saying it’s unlikely we land two big fish.

I don’t necessarily disagree. But many here believe we should sell the entire future for Hertl and Chychrun and if he doesn’t he’s incompetent. He gets painted as someone who never makes the right moves to help the team and I think that’s inaccurate.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Disagree on Grubs, he ranks dead last in Goals Saved Above Average at -20.9 this year. This next closest guy to him is Blackwood at -12.7 GSAA on the year. Grubs also as the 2nd worst HDSV% in the NHL among goalies with at least 10 games. I honestly am not surprised how bad he's been. Last year he had the benefit of playing for a loaded Colorado team (40% of his career SO came last year) and when you look at the other goalies that played for Colorado their 5v5 numbers (while much smaller sample size) weren't far off from Grubs

Grubs - 1.87 GAA / .921 SV%
Dubnyk - 2.19 GAA/ .920 SV%
Johansson - 1.89 GAA / .917 SV%

All I can tell you is I've watched enough to see him make some great saves and have seen what is defending in front of him. Those Colorado numbers to me make the point: you put a terrible team in front of most NHL goalies and they will have terrible numbers. You put a good one out there and those numbers improve.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Gonna throw this out there as a stop-gap 2C solution for this year and next.......Jonathan Toews.

His contract is atrocious ($10.5mil AAV) so Chicago would have to retain salary, but it expires at the end of next year. He's available for the taking and solves the 2C hole for at least the next season and a half. Chicago is in full rebuild mode and he's on the table.

He's not the player he once was and its taken a while for him to get back from missing all of last year, but he's starting to find his mojo with DeBrincat and he'd slot in well with Hall and Pasta. For the "go all in" crowd, he'd be a guy to at least kick the tires on.

What a reasonable offer would be to get him, would entirely depend on what Chicago would be willing to retain in salary, but its an option...
Toews is literally one of the only players that is not available from Chicago. https://thehockeywriters.com/blackhawks-expected-to-make-multiple-trades/

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012

In my opinion, the Bruins will have to make those two impact acquisitions if they want a legit chance at the cup this season. Giroux would be a good add and provides flexibility that he can play Center and wing. Pavelski is also someone I hope they take a look at. I still think they need that all around top 4 LD for the 2nd pair.

Reactions: bbfan419

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
All I can tell you is I've watched enough to see him make some great saves and have seen what is defending in front of him. Those Colorado numbers to me make the point: you put a terrible team in front of most NHL goalies and they will have terrible numbers. You put a good one out there and those numbers improve.

I'd have to dig into who each guy faced, but Driedger is only at a -1.49 GSAA compared to Grubs -20.9 GSAA . Now granted that's in less GP, but if you want to look at it per60

Grubs: -0.92
Dreidger: -0.20

If you look at 5v5 SV% it doesn't look like Dreidger struggled as much

Grubs: .886 SV%
Driedger: .912 SV%

To your point about goalies numbers being predicated on the team in front of them, sure to a point I agree. Problem is though if that's the case, why give a nearly $6 million / 6yr deal to a guy when you're an expansion team that's more than likely going to be bad? On the other side, Ullmark is a guy who went from an awful team to a contender and his numbers at 5v5 are worse in Boston:

20-21 Ullmark - 1.96 GAA / 0.937 SV% / 0.60 GSAA per 60
21-22 Ullmark - 2.34 GAA / 0.916 SV% / -0.09 GSAA per 60

Reactions: The National
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad