Speculation: 2021-2022 Coyotes Roster Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Chych has had too many injuries, almost every year, and only 1 good year goal scoring. This year he has been exposed on D a little too, he isn't top pairing on the D side yet. I think we keep him, he can still develop some more, but be prepared for an underwhelming return if BA moves him now.
I think Chychrun is 1st. pairing, but not elite. Young, good contract and 1st. pairing is why teams want him. Unless the Coyotes get a huge over payment I see no need to trade him. He is the exact type of player you build a team around.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
32 thoughts podcast:

Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman believe Chychrun is going to be moved before the NHL trade deadline. Elliotte says teams have told him that the Coyotes are “motivated” to get it done quickly due to risk of injury. We want a young player, top prospect, and a 1st. LA has been interested in Chychrun for a while.

Anaheim has a deep prospect pool and are potentially facing losing Hampus Lindholm, so they believe there’s a fit there.

St. Louis has Neighbors, Hofer, Perunovich. They think there is a fit there, as well.

Boston is in on Crouse. NHL exec from the East predicts Lawson ends up in Tampa.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think Chychrun is 1st. pairing, but not elite. Young, good contract and 1st. pairing is why teams want him. Unless the Coyotes get a huge over payment I see no need to trade him. He is the exact type of player you build a team around.
Why would they or how would they get a "huge over payment". They will get "fair value" whatever that is, plenty of teams will have interest. A mid to late first, decent prospect and parts is likely the value.

Chychrun has had 2 major knee surgeries and seems to be injury prone. That isn't what you build your team around, he could be like Hanzal. I think it will be 3 years before we might have a very good team. If we can get value, we might want to trade him now rather than waste the rest of this year and the next 2 years. Chych might continue to be injury prone or if he plays and improves, his next contract will be huge.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
The more I think about it, the more trading Chychrun now actually does make sense, considering his injury history. He's one major injury away from his value being a far cry to what it is at this moment. With our injury luck this season, he's probably due to get a major injury as soon as he returns, if he's still with us

Reactions: cobra427

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I don't get why we are trading away players that are still young enough to be part of the rebuild. But I have been impressed with what BA has been able to pull out of the market so I try not to question but it is hard sometimes. If he can get the kind of return they are talking about for Chychrun he would be foolish to not consider it especially if he has a lot of confidence in his scouting department. But I hope he brings in some tough guys to police the on ice altercations and look after the young guys. No point getting shiny new toys if we allow other teams to break them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Crouse must have made it known he will want out if Chychrun goes or something similar. No reason to trade him otherwise.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
32 thoughts podcast:

Jeff Marek and Elliotte Friedman believe Chychrun is going to be moved before the NHL trade deadline. Elliotte says teams have told him that the Coyotes are “motivated” to get it done quickly due to risk of injury. We want a young player, top prospect, and a 1st. LA has been interested in Chychrun for a while.

Anaheim has a deep prospect pool and are potentially facing losing Hampus Lindholm, so they believe there’s a fit there.

St. Louis has Neighbors, Hofer, Perunovich. They think there is a fit there, as well.

Boston is in on Crouse. NHL exec from the East predicts Lawson ends up in Tampa.
Personally, I feel like it would have to Neighbors AND Hofer AND Perunovich - haha. Hofer has had a roller-coaster development, and Perunovich is only six months younger than Chychrun. Neighbors is great, but he's a winger, and unlikely to be a start winger. Chychrun is very likely to be a star defenseman.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hoping for Ritchie, Knies, and a pick for Crouse.
I don't know him as I don't really follow prospects but there seems to a buzz around Knies from Toronto media for last few weeks. Seems like an article pops up every few days. No idea what that means in terms of availability?? They also keep saying Toronto has a plan for Ritchie but I don't see how that makes sense so???

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't know him as I don't really follow prospects but there seems to a buzz around Knies from Toronto media for last few weeks. Seems like an article pops up every few days. No idea what that means in terms of availability?? They also keep saying Toronto has a plan for Ritchie but I don't see how that makes sense so???
If Tampa is the likely target, I'd love to get Jack Thompson. He has really blown me away in the OHL this season. Looked fantastic.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Schmaltz seems to never be healthy and even when healthy, he only shows up for 1 out of every 4 games, so it was a terrible contract for sure. The only good news is that to date it is our only bad contract, so as long as we don't make any more bad contracts, we can live with it. We have to make the cap floor somehow.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Would you do Clarke their 1st (top 2 protected) and your choice of Kupari/Bjornfot/Anderson?

I'd rather keep Chychrun...don't get me wrong, Clarke is a fine player and I'd like another 1st rounder and Kupari might be able to breakout, but Bjornfot isn't better than Moser and we've got Jenik & Maccelli both at or near PPG in the AHL at ages 22 & 21. Soderstrom is tearing up the AHL with 12pts in 17 games on a team mind you where all the top point producers are youngsters. Maccelli/Jenik/McCartney/Moser/Soderstrom, the only ones that are older are Carcone (25)/Fasching(26) and the team is holding their own...which is fantastic to see.

Let's keep our supreme talent that we currently have...no reason to trade away for futures.

Reactions: Grimes and Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why would they or how would they get a "huge over payment". They will get "fair value" whatever that is, plenty of teams will have interest. A mid to late first, decent prospect and parts is likely the value.

Chychrun has had 2 major knee surgeries and seems to be injury prone. That isn't what you build your team around, he could be like Hanzal. I think it will be 3 years before we might have a very good team. If we can get value, we might want to trade him now rather than waste the rest of this year and the next 2 years. Chych might continue to be injury prone or if he plays and improves, his next contract will be huge.
Over paying for a player happens all the time, you should know that. Injuries are always a concern, but Chick's best year was after those surgeries, so that worry is somewhat behind him. AM has been injured every year but I don't see anyone on this board not wanting him to "come home" and are willing to give him league maximum salary.

The more I think about it, the more trading Chychrun now actually does make sense, considering his injury history. He's one major injury away from his value being a far cry to what it is at this moment. With our injury luck this season, he's probably due to get a major injury as soon as he returns, if he's still with us
EVERY player is one major injury away from tanking their value. Every player on the Coyotes should be available in a trade, and the return will dictate if a player is traded or not.

Reactions: BAdvocate

rt

May 13, 2004
Friedman said Marek got it right. And asked him if he thought a young roster player, a top prospect and a 1st was enough. He said it all depended on how impactful the young roster player was or how impactful the prospect is. That it depends. He said it could easily evolve to have a 2nd rounder added as well. He said it might be easier to break to down to roughly the value of three first round picks.

They really keyed in on Hofer when talking about St Louis which freaks me about. Especially since he was drafted when BA was there and all those Demko/OEL rumors a couple of years back.

Could it be that Hofer is the piece that pushes it over the top, and also gets AZ to eat Scandella? Would Scandella, Perunovich, Neighbors, Hofer and a 1st do the trick? That’s so MANY pieces. Gah. I really don’t know. This is starting to get frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
Trying to make sense of this in my head. Say the Yotes get Neighnors, Perunovich, Hofer and a 1st for Chychrun. Then they get Katchouk and Thompson from Tampa for Crouse. Friedman said an Easter Conference Executive told him he’d bet money on Tampa to get Crouse.

Now you’ve replaced Chychrun with Perunovich and Thompson. You’ve replaced Crouse with Neighbors and Katchouk. And you’ve picked up a 1st and Hofer for the trouble.

Is this all just a numbers game for BA? Turning two assets into six? One winger into two and one D into two and grabbing a goalie and a fourth 1st while you’re at it? Is this just about kicks at the can? Spray and pray?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Trying to make sense of this in my head. Say the Yotes get Neighnors, Perunovich, Hofer and a 1st for Chychrun. Then they get Katchouk and Thompson from Tampa for Crouse. Friedman said an Easter Conference Executive told him he’d bet money on Tampa to get Crouse.

Now you’ve replaced Chychrun with Perunovich and Thompson. You’ve replaced Crouse with Neighbors and Katchouk. And you’ve picked up a 1st and Hofer for the trouble.

Is this all just a numbers game for BA? Turning two assets into six? One winger into two and one D into two and grabbing a goalie and a fourth 1st while you’re at it? Is this just about kicks at the can? Spray and pray?
If it is, I don't agree with the approach.

I'd rather turn 0 players into 1 through UFA, instead of 1 into 2 through trade. I think the only reason to go ahead with it, is if we get a chance at an asset that we really didn't think was attainable.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
32 thoughts podcast:

Swayman for Crouse?

Reactions: Jormungandr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad