Speculation: 2021-2022 Coyotes Roster Discussion II

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Would not do Schmaltz for Murray. Would do Schmaltz and Hutton for Murray, White, and a pick/prospect. Ottawa probably wouldn’t add their own very early 2nd to that, but they do own Tampa’s also. So that might be more fair. But feels redundant. Maybe Brannstrom? He seems out of runway there.

To OTT:
Nick Schmaltz
Dmitrij Jaskin (LTIR)
Carter Hutton

To ARI:
Matt Murray
Colin White (LTIR)
Erik Brannstrom

We send Vejmelka down and Korenar to the ECHL (he probably just terminates his contract and heads home at that point). Solves our “too many bad goalies” problem because we basically dump Hutton and Korenar. And Tucson gets an excellent pairing. Meanwhile Murray can hope to rejuvenate his career like Wedgewood has.

Brannstrom provides a logical Gostisbehere replacement for when we trade him. Until then he can go to Tucson and help replace the talent we’ve drained from them. He can join Maccelli up here once we traded Kessel and Gostisbehere. That pair being a logical replacement for the vet pair.

The main thing is that Schmaltz can play for Ottawa this season and White cannot. Dorion is likely eager to get some help for that roster after seeing Bergeron canned.

Meanwhile, we get out from under Schmaltz. And we be decent rebound candidates in White and Murray who are both pretty young and have been good in the past. If neither returns to form, they’re more palatable buyouts than is Schmaltz.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Why take two expensive contracts from Ottawa in exchange for one?

Term aside i like betting on a Murray rebound more so than I do on Schmaltz getting his head out of his ass full time.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
@Hale The Villain ^ how off-base am I there? Is it close or am I being a huge homer?

Seems very reasonable from a Sens perspective.

Cost to buyout White and Murray would be 15M spread over 6 seasons to have two players not play for the team.

Would probably make sense for the Yotes to keep Murray for the final 2 years of his deal and buyout White, who will never be worth his 5M+ salary and can be bought out for only 1/3 of his remaining money this off-season.

Schmaltz makes way too much in his final 3 years but Melnyk hates buyouts and signing bonuses even more than overpaying players, so I could see him begrudgingly agreeing to it.

Brannstrom isn't a big loss at this point. Unfortunately he's looking less and less like a future top 4 D and more like a guy who might end up playing overseas. Not a bad reclamation project though.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Wouldn't touch Colin White's contract with a 10 foot pole. I'd personally rather have Schmaltz, who's an actual NHL player, for 1 million more and 1 year longer.
But I'm 99% certain than Armstrong hates the way Schmaltz plays and would do a whole lot to move him.
On the one hand I'd love to see Schmaltz for more than 6 games with the new coaching staff, especially now that he's watching Keller start to pull his head out of his ass maybe that could inspire him to do some of the same.

On the other hand if Schmaltz comes back and somehow manages to tank his value even further then that's a horrific contract to have to eat. So maybe you do have to get rid of him at some cost.

I personally wouldn't touch Colin White with a 10 foot pole, that's a big nothingburger of a player to me and at least Schmaltz is a highly overpaid 3RW/C.

Wouldn't touch Colin White's contract with a 10 foot pole. I'd personally rather have Schmaltz, who's an actual NHL player, for 1 million more and 1 year longer.
But I'm 99% certain than Armstrong hates the way Schmaltz plays and would do a whole lot to move him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edenjung

rt

May 13, 2004
On the one hand I'd love to see Schmaltz for more than 6 games with the new coaching staff, especially now that he's watching Keller start to pull his head out of his ass maybe that could inspire him to do some of the same.

On the other hand if Schmaltz comes back and somehow manages to tank his value even further then that's a horrific contract to have to eat. So maybe you do have to get rid of him at some cost.

I personally wouldn't touch Colin White with a 10 foot pole, that's a big nothingburger of a player to me and at least Schmaltz is a highly overpaid 3RW/C.

But I'm 99% certain than Armstrong hates the way Schmaltz plays and would do a whole lot to move hi
I’m not excited about White either. Haha. Or Murray for that matter. But I know Ottawa wouldn’t do White for Schmaltz and I’m not sure if they’d do Murray for Schmaltz. My previous proposal was probably too light on the return. Ottawa is getting a lot of relief.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
White is really cheap to buy out for them this summer. But is he dead? I mean, they can't buy out an injured player, can they? If he is not dead, they probably just buy him out over paying someone to take that player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why take two expensive contracts from Ottawa in exchange for one?

Term aside i like betting on a Murray rebound more so than I do on Schmaltz getting his head out of his ass full time.
Murray has three bad years in a row if you include this year. What the hell happened to him? If he was going to rebound why hasn't he already? Did he have injuries? Was Pittsburgh's D good in front of him?

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
White is really cheap to buy out for them this summer. But is he dead? I mean, they can't buy out an injured player, can they? If he is not dead, they probably just buy him out over paying someone to take that player.
I'm sure if he cleared his medicals before the buyout it would be fine.

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
Kessel and Korenar for Kane, Hill and Ozzy Wiesblatt.

Kane (50%) and Carter Hutton to VAN for Danila Klimovich.
We'd lock up 2/3 of our retention slots for the next 3 years with this move.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

But I'm 99% certain than Armstrong hates the way Schmaltz plays and would do a whole lot to move hi
We have one more year to decide on Schmaltz as his contract takes a dip next year, but I think BA will try to get out of his contract, probably sooner than later. There is no way I take White and that contract, but Murray could be interesting,

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Kessel and Korenar for Kane, Hill and Ozzy Wiesblatt.

Kane (50%) and Carter Hutton to VAN for Danila Klimovich.
Why would VAN want Kane? Why would anyone want Kane? Why would anyone want Hutton?

rt

May 13, 2004
Why would VAN want Kane? Why would anyone want Kane? Why would anyone want Hutton?
The rumor is that VAN is interested in the hometown Kane if there’s max retention. That’s what’s being reported. My thought was why can’t we be the team to retain, rather than San Jose. Attempt to snipe an asset off of each team, rather than watch from the sidelines.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

May 13, 2004
We have one more year to decide on Schmaltz as his contract takes a dip next year, but I think BA will try to get out of his contract, probably sooner than later. There is no way I take White and that contract, but Murray could be interesting,
Does Schmaltz get us Murray and an asset? Or just Murray? Would Schmaltz and Hutton for Murray and the TBL 2nd be fair?

Hogan20

May 1, 2016
Maine
And add a 1st (Wiesblatt) and a 2nd (Klimovich) in the process. Who are we going to retain on that would bring a better return than that?
You add a good point. However, I'd still like to keep it open because I'm sure BA would like flip more veterans that we take on for half at the deadline.

rt

May 13, 2004
You add a good point. However, I'd still like to keep it open because I'm sure BA would like flip more veterans that we take on for half at the deadline.
I can’t really imagine a better use of a retention slot than one that would return a pair of prospects like that. I’m probably being a homer, though, and expecting too much back.

Mh thought with SJS is that while Wiesblatt is a nice prospect and a recent 1st, he’s not exactly setting the Dub on fire and they have two REALLY exciting forward prospects they just drafted in Thomas Bordeleau and William Eklund.

Additionally, I would think not having to retain ANYTHING on Kane would be hugely appealing to Doug Wilson, who’s desperately trying to keep the window open and his neck
off the chopping block.

That’s where Kessel comes in. Not only do the rid themselves of the Kane headache, but they add a highly regarded and popular veteran scoring winger that replaces Kane’s production but has the opposite impact on the dressing room. San Jose is a veteran team and a good fit for Kessel.

Speaking of chopping blocks and desperation, there isn’t a hotter seat in the NHL than Jim Benning’s. Evander Kane is still a helluva player and was a hugely popular figure in Vancouver sports for a long time. Jim is ALWAYS in a cap hell of his own making. And getting Kane for 3.5aav has to be appealing to him. Danila Klimovich is a recent high pick. Not terribly likely to be moved. But he was a huge reach and really has the one huge tournament to thank for his lofty status. He’s not blowing the doors off the AHL by any means. It seems like a safe time to lose an asset like that if you’re Jim Benning. Kane would be huge news. Little attention would be paid to Klimovich.

I assume Kessel will be worth a little less than Klimovich at the TDL. Likely a 2023 or 2024 pick. While Klimovich is already in the AHL, and ready to report to Tucson, unlike that kid those picks would represent, who’s 15 or 16 years old right now.

So is that little extra we’d be getting for Kessel, combined with Ozzy Wiesblatt worth retaining 50% on Evander Kane for three more seasons after this one? It’s a tough call for me. I’d probably say yes. Because selfishly I want the rebuild expedited and I fully expect both Wiesblatt and Klimovich to be able to help Tucson in a big way as soon as next season.

Reactions: 0point1 and Grimes

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Can not see retaining that much for that long. San Jose are probably better sitting him in the press box for the year and seeing what shakes out in the summer.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How much does the timeline of Murray's declining play line up with the death of his father? I remember that being a storyline. OEL 2.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad