2020 WHL Bantam Draft

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Alan Caldwell on Twitter is a good follow as he has spreadsheets on both all the prospects teams have rights to and all the draft pick ownership for this years draft plus future ones
Thanks for the recommendation, sounds like a great resource

Brayden Abbott

Dec 13, 2019
your 2nd round has a couple of the wrong teams picking as they were traded away. WHL has the draft order up to check it.

As for picks it's tough but there's no way MJ would pass on the Sask kid Heidt at 3(I'm hearing Heidt is going 2nd to PG, Yager 3rd to MJ though because Heidt has a verbal agreement to report). Red Deer has a lot of good young dmen and 3 high 2nds so I'd imagine they'd go forward at 6. Kamloops has Garand and drafted Ernst high in the 2nd last year with also Rayce Ramsay as the current backup so highly unlikely they go goalie early let alone 1st. At 21 Swift needs defense and are almost guarenteed to take a sask kid so either Dumanski or Andresen
I got my draft order from WHL website. Also I sent my mockdraft into DubNetwork and he didn't mention anything about my order. Also we haven't seen Heidt play without Yager. Also I'll trust what you've heard I am not an insider or anything I am 16 years old and just study statistics and watch their games and highlights. I have talked to a few players in the draft as well. Also my reasoning for Kamloops taking Reay is because I believe Ernst and Reay could be a better duo then Ramsay and Garand are. I also think taking Reay opens up a trade option for Garand or Ramsay where they could possibly get a pick in next years draft in return.

Brayden Abbott

Dec 13, 2019
I doubt the WheatKings take Tulk at 13 too small. Dube or McMillan are my guess
I honestly believe Dube will go 13 but I have watched him in person so much this season and I don't believe he deserves to go there. He is a 1-Way player that has a lot of bad habits, lots of talent yes but his attitude hasn't seemed to be the greatest.

Brayden Abbott

Dec 13, 2019
Yeah unfortunately like what was said, there will be no goalie selected in the 1st round by Kamloops. Garand is their present and future, Ernst is the future.
Yeah I believe you could be right I just see the opportunity in taking Reay.(Who I believe will be an unreal goalie) As it will open up a trade option for Garand or Ramsey, they could possibly get a prospect and a pick for either of them.

wheatiefan

Feb 7, 2014
I honestly believe Dube will go 13 but I have watched him in person so much this season and I don't believe he deserves to go there. He is a 1-Way player that has a lot of bad habits, lots of talent yes but his attitude hasn't seemed to be the greatest.
Those bad habits accompany many of the high end bantams who play a somewhat selfish game because they are so much better than the other players. That attitude changes quickly when they get into the WHL. If the talent is there it is up to the coaches to harness it and mold into a team game. Who do you think the WK should pick at #13?

Brood

Jun 14, 2018
Those bad habits accompany many of the high end bantams who play a somewhat selfish game because they are so much better than the other players. That attitude changes quickly when they get into the WHL. If the talent is there it is up to the coaches to harness it and mold into a team game. Who do you think the WK should pick at #13?
$100 they take a defenceman

Reactions: Brayden Abbott

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I got my draft order from WHL website. Also I sent my mockdraft into DubNetwork and he didn't mention anything about my order. Also we haven't seen Heidt play without Yager. Also I'll trust what you've heard I am not an insider or anything I am 16 years old and just study statistics and watch their games and highlights. I have talked to a few players in the draft as well. Also my reasoning for Kamloops taking Reay is because I believe Ernst and Reay could be a better duo then Ramsay and Garand are. I also think taking Reay opens up a trade option for Garand or Ramsay where they could possibly get a pick in next years draft in return.

lol that's bizarre reasoning. Kamloops is just starting their next few years of being a really good team, if anyone gets traded its Ramsay who is not a starter at this level.

Garand along with Wolf will be the top 2 goalies in the WHL.

Brayden Abbott

Dec 13, 2019
That is a true statement but I think in the top 15 picks you should be trying to get as many WHL ready players as possible. I still stand by my mock draft in the fact Brandon should take Oliver Tulk, he plays a solid team game and is still able to work through his small stature.

Brayden Abbott

Dec 13, 2019
lol that's bizarre reasoning. Kamloops is just starting their next few years of being a really good team, if anyone gets traded its Ramsay who is not a starter at this level.

Garand along with Wolf will be the top 2 goalies in the WHL.
I believe Reay will be the best goalie in the WHL when he is 17/18. Even if you just trade away Ramsay you open up a spot and there is lots of teams that would be in the market for a WHL ready backup who has the ability to win games when called upon. In reality when you go to your backup goalie you need to have the confidence that you can still comfortably play your game, I think that will create a lot of upside to teams who would be in the market for Ramsay

wheatiefan

Feb 7, 2014
$100 they take a defenceman
I agree assuming one of the top 6 d-men is still available at their pick. They can get a top forward with their second round pick. Defence is a very difficult position to play in today's game so drafting one of the top end ones early makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Brood

Jun 14, 2018
I agree assuming one of the top 6 d-men is still available at their pick. They can get a top forward with their second round pick. Defence is a very difficult position to play in today's game so drafting one of the top end ones early makes a lot of sense.
who do you consider to be the top 6 defenceman?

Brood

Jun 14, 2018
I believe Reay will be the best goalie in the WHL when he is 17/18. Even if you just trade away Ramsay you open up a spot and there is lots of teams that would be in the market for a WHL ready backup who has the ability to win games when called upon. In reality when you go to your backup goalie you need to have the confidence that you can still comfortably play your game, I think that will create a lot of upside to teams who would be in the market for Ramsay

I’d be surprised if Reay is one of the first five goalies taken.

Brood

Jun 14, 2018
I would like you to look more into Reay, we are 2 days from the draft and I am extremely confident in my selections.
Hey he’s not a bad goalie, good eye. There’s a few who project better right now but you never know with goalies.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
The WHL Unfiltered podcast did a draft preview

They floated the idea of Saskatoon potentially looking to move up to 2 or 3 to select a homegrown prospect for hockey and marketing purposes. I think PG and Moose Jaw hold onto the picks but who knows until the draft starts Wednesday morning

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I expect Brandon to try and get Brayden Dube in the 1st if they can. He should be there that might even be a bit high for him.

wheatiefan

Feb 7, 2014
I expect Brandon to try and get Brayden Dube in the 1st if they can. He should be there that might even be a bit high for him.
I would think they would like to draft one of the top,6 defenceman from this draft but they could all be gone by time their pick comes up,, so Dube would make sense. Hey Joe the WHL fans website is up and running again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad