2020 WHL Bantam Draft

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Draft has been bumped up to April 22 and online, the lottery and US prospects draft is still tomorrow.

Calgary, Alta. – The Western Hockey League announced today a number of updates to events previously scheduled on the WHL calendar, including the 2020 WHL Awards, 2020 WHL Bantam Draft, 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Lottery, and 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft.
The 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Lottery and 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft will proceed as originally scheduled on Wednesday, March 25. The 2020 WHL Bantam Draft Lottery is scheduled for 11 a.m. MT at the WHL Office in Calgary, while the 2020 WHL U.S. Prospects Draft is scheduled to be conducted online at 2 p.m. MT.
The 2020 WHL Awards and 2020 WHL Bantam Draft – live events previously scheduled to be hosted in Red Deer, Alta. on May 6 and May 7, respectively – have been cancelled as a result of concerns relating to the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2020 WHL Bantam Draft will now be conducted online on Wednesday, April 22. Further details on both events will be provided at a later date.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
Can someone explain the US Prospects Draft to me? How often do those kids actually play for the team they were drafted to? How do you get entered in that draft?

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Can someone explain the US Prospects Draft to me? How often do those kids actually play for the team they were drafted to? How do you get entered in that draft?
This is the first year of the US draft so there's no baseline to say how many will commit to the WHL. Usually about 25 US born players are selected and now through this draft 44 were taken so there is the potential for more to enter the league just through that quantity. Eligibility is a bit of a question as the player taken 1st overall was Canadian born but living in Minnesota but to my understanding the player must reside in the western US states that are WHL territory and be 2005 born.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
From what I hear there is going to be a heavy push from all WHL teams to try and get commitments from those drafted kids in the US draft. Which could mean that will cover the total cost of a 4 year scholarship at a US college up front.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
This is the first year of the US draft so there's no baseline to say how many will commit to the WHL. Usually about 25 US born players are selected and now through this draft 44 were taken so there is the potential for more to enter the league just through that quantity. Eligibility is a bit of a question as the player taken 1st overall was Canadian born but living in Minnesota but to my understanding the player must reside in the western US states that are WHL territory and be 2005 born.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have to declare for the draft or attend some camp so they know you are eligible? I'm just trying to figure out how a bunch of kids from Texas, etc. were drafted by WHL teams that are thousands of miles away, etc.

e14

Feb 14, 2018
From what I hear there is going to be a heavy push from all WHL teams to try and get commitments from those drafted kids in the US draft. Which could mean that will cover the total cost of a 4 year scholarship at a US college up front.

What would Canadian players / parents say if they paid 4 years up front to US players?

I'm sure similar demands would spread quickly. A lot of top Canadian draft picks would have just as good scholarship opportunities as those US picks.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Thanks for the reply. Do you have to declare for the draft or attend some camp so they know you are eligible? I'm just trying to figure out how a bunch of kids from Texas, etc. were drafted by WHL teams that are thousands of miles away, etc.
In conjunction with the US draft, there was a showcase bantam hockey tournament held in Seattle this spring called the US Challenge Cup that held a variety of teams from Canada and the Western US including teams from California, Texas, Arizona, Washington and Alaska. I believe 20 of the 44 picks played in the tournament but each WHL team has their own US scouts, though it varies for how many each team has and where they scout. The WHL also previously hosted prospect combines for players to get their name on the radar in California and Texas, and this year will host it in LA and Vegas for 2004-2009 born players. All that being said, the only requirements for this draft were to reside in the western US and be 2005 born so it is like the NHL draft where you don't have to declare, you just become eligible.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
In conjunction with the US draft, there was a showcase bantam hockey tournament held in Seattle this spring called the US Challenge Cup that held a variety of teams from Canada and the Western US including teams from California, Texas, Arizona, Washington and Alaska. I believe 20 of the 44 picks played in the tournament but each WHL team has their own US scouts, though it varies for how many each team has and where they scout. The WHL also previously hosted prospect combines for players to get their name on the radar in California and Texas, and this year will host it in LA and Vegas for 2004-2009 born players. All that being said, the only requirements for this draft were to reside in the western US and be 2005 born so it is like the NHL draft where you don't have to declare, you just become eligible.

Again thanks for the detailed response. I love learning about this stuff. So if you were drafted, what does that mean? You get to attend their camp at some point? You're "protected"? I'm assuming it doesn't mean you're on the team at this point, you still have to make the team. I've looked at the stats of some of those kids that were drafted and they just weren't all that impressive for AAA. I know stats aren't everything, but if you're drafted in the first round, I'd expect you to be a stud.

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Again thanks for the detailed response. I love learning about this stuff. So if you were drafted, what does that mean? You get to attend their camp at some point? You're "protected"? I'm assuming it doesn't mean you're on the team at this point, you still have to make the team. I've looked at the stats of some of those kids that were drafted and they just weren't all that impressive for AAA. I know stats aren't everything, but if you're drafted in the first round, I'd expect you to be a stud.
You're very welcome, I love the WHL and am a huge Portland Winterhawks fan so I'm happy to educate others. For the upcoming year it doesnt mean too much as 15 year olds arent allowed to play full seasons unless they are granted exceptional status like Connor Bedard was. They are allowed to attend prospect camps that most WHL teams hold before main camp but must be returned to their midget/high school teams for the regular season. By visiting the team in camp and talking to the coaches, the WHL teams hope they can convince the player to play for their team versus an NCAA team which is more common for US players. Stats wise I've found US bantam scoring to generally be lower scoring than their Canadian counterparts, but dont have any explanation why as I haven't seen any play at that level. What also may be going through the minds of the WHL GMs is not to draft the best American player, but rather a good or solid one that is actually interested in playing in the WHL. In previous years teams have spent bantam draft picks on the cream of the crop US players and never have them show up so it becomes a gamble of the risk of them not showing up versus the slight chance of getting a star player. This draft reduces the risk as it is separate from the main bantam draft.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Lack of top WHL picks from the Rink (CSSHL Prep) last year had them fall out of favor. I heard they dropped their fee down as much as $10000 per player to attract kids. They still have Tyler Parr who should be a first rounder. The next best players in Manitoba are playing regional/city bantam (check out Wpg Warriors.)
Not to mention Savoie probably got a discount :laugh:

Brayden Abbott

Dec 13, 2019
Here is my mock draft of my predictions for the top 30 picks in this years WHL Bantam Draft. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• WHL 2020 Mock Draft.pdf
    47 KB · Views: 7

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
your 2nd round has a couple of the wrong teams picking as they were traded away. WHL has the draft order up to check it.

As for picks it's tough but there's no way MJ would pass on the Sask kid Heidt at 3(I'm hearing Heidt is going 2nd to PG, Yager 3rd to MJ though because Heidt has a verbal agreement to report). Red Deer has a lot of good young dmen and 3 high 2nds so I'd imagine they'd go forward at 6. Kamloops has Garand and drafted Ernst high in the 2nd last year with also Rayce Ramsay as the current backup so highly unlikely they go goalie early let alone 1st. At 21 Swift needs defense and are almost guarenteed to take a sask kid so either Dumanski or Andresen

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
your 2nd round has a couple of the wrong teams picking as they were traded away. WHL has the draft order up to check it.

As for picks it's tough but there's no way MJ would pass on the Sask kid Heidt at 3(I'm hearing Heidt is going 2nd to PG, Yager 3rd to MJ though because Heidt has a verbal agreement to report). Red Deer has a lot of good young dmen and 3 high 2nds so I'd imagine they'd go forward at 6. Kamloops has Garand and drafted Ernst high in the 2nd last year with also Rayce Ramsay as the current backup so highly unlikely they go goalie early let alone 1st. At 21 Swift needs defense and are almost guarenteed to take a sask kid so either Dumanski or Andresen
Where did you see the draft order posted? I cant seem to find it on the whl site

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Didn't realize Portland has the 23rd overall pick from the Ryan Hughes trade last year, I remembered we had traded away many early picks in this draft from buying the past couple years. With that in mind a kid like Jayden Perron would fit MJ's mold for our forwards and we have had great success with Winnipeg forwards like Glass and Jarvis. Marcus Pacheco also could be a target if we go forward. On defense, Bauer Dumanski and Reid Andersen sound promising and could be available at 23.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Didn't realize Portland has the 23rd overall pick from the Ryan Hughes trade last year, I remembered we had traded away many early picks in this draft from buying the past couple years. With that in mind a kid like Jayden Perron would fit MJ's mold for our forwards and we have had great success with Winnipeg forwards like Glass and Jarvis. Marcus Pacheco also could be a target if we go forward. On defense, Bauer Dumanski and Reid Andersen sound promising and could be available at 23.
Alan Caldwell on Twitter is a good follow as he has spreadsheets on both all the prospects teams have rights to and all the draft pick ownership for this years draft plus future ones

Reactions: canucklax

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
Here is my mock draft of my predictions for the top 30 picks in this years WHL Bantam Draft. Let me know what you think

Yeah unfortunately like what was said, there will be no goalie selected in the 1st round by Kamloops. Garand is their present and future, Ernst is the future.

wheatiefan

Feb 7, 2014
Yeah unfortunately like what was said, there will be no goalie selected in the 1st round by Kamloops. Garand is their present and future, Ernst is the future.

There are usually some surprises in the 1st round as teams are now picking players they can get to commit sometime rather than the obvious choice. You cannot afford to get burned in the first round. It looks like PG is finally trending in the right direction with their top 2 picks last year and they have 3 first rounders this year. Unless their scouting is out to lunch or they have difficulty getting kids to sign with them the future looks bright for the team. Can they screw this up? I say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad