WJC: 2020 Team USA Roster Talk

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I'm really looking forward to seeing Turcotte and Zegras this Christmas. I think a true test for them at this stage in their careers.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Kaliyev has developed underrated playmaking abilities; he's not just a one-trick pony. I, for one, would love to see the two Kings prospects together.
I can 2nd second this point. I've gotten to watch him live this year a few times and he can move the puck almost as well as he can shoot it. It opens up a lot more room for him when he has the puck, so he's racking up the points like he should be

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Caufield-Turcotte-Wahlstrom
Kaliyev-Zegras-Brink
Robertson-Drury-Pinto
Janicke-Beecher-Hall
Ford

Miller-Emberson
Samuelsson-Harris
York-Regula
Jones

Knight
Wolf
Saville

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Kaliyev-Zegras-Brink
Robertson-Drury-Pinto
Janicke-Beecher-Hall
Ford

Miller-Emberson
Samuelsson-Harris
York-Regula
Jones

Knight
Wolf
Saville
Pretty stacked. Should be the tournament favourite. Now imagine if they had Hughes and Farabee!

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
Interesting that team USA will be bringing their entire camp to Czech Republic. So you fly everyone over there and cut a kid while he's in a foreign country. Seems odd. Have they done this in the past?

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019
Interesting that team USA will be bringing their entire camp to Czech Republic. So you fly everyone over there and cut a kid while he's in a foreign country. Seems odd. Have they done this in the past?
I think the NTDP did it at the U18 WC last year. Brought Landon Slaggert to Sweden but didn't roster him and then cut him when they added Bobby Brink, so he ended up not playing in the tournament but also missed the USHL playoffs as well.

Reactions: William H Bonney

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed. We're at a point where there's basically 5 favorites each year and doing well in this tournament is about a lot more than the perceived strength of a paper roster.
Like all single-elimination tournaments where there is some level of parity, it will generally come down to a hot goaltender like Lukkonen in 2019, Hart in 2018, and Parsons in 2017. That tends to be the margin. Other factors come into play, if your team is leaking shots against you'll eventually run into trouble regardless of the goalie.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I think the NTDP did it at the U18 WC last year. Brought Landon Slaggert to Sweden but didn't roster him and then cut him when they added Bobby Brink, so he ended up not playing in the tournament but also missed the USHL playoffs as well.

That situation was maddening, completely unfair to Slaggert, and avoidable. Both Kaliyev and Robertson were available at the time but USAH didn't pick them because Coach Wroblewski wanted Brink and he wasn't yet available. So they took an undeserving U17 instead, wasted his time, and hurt his development. I'm not surprised that he's had a disappointing U18 campaign thus far given how USAH treated him to end his U17 season.

USAH does a lot wrong, including at the WJC, but that Slaggert situation is an egregious example.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Don't forget... they get to cut the kid on Christmas!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Like all single-elimination tournaments where there is some level of parity, it will generally come down to a hot goaltender like Lukkonen in 2019, Hart in 2018, and Parsons in 2017. That tends to be the margin. Other factors come into play, if your team is leaking shots against you'll eventually run into trouble regardless of the goalie.

Special teams, in particular the power play, is as important as goalie play too. 4 of the last 5 gold medalists have also had the tournament's top PP. Harder to quantify but team chemistry matters a lot too. There's a long list of stacked paper rosters that crashed and burned in the tournament because the team couldn't find the right line combinations or they didn't gel quickly enough.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA

I, for one, wouldn't mind a free trip to a foreign country as a consolation prize.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Kaliyev-Zegras-Brink
Robertson-Drury-Pinto
Janicke-Beecher-Hall
Ford

Miller-Emberson
Samuelsson-Harris
York-Regula
Jones

Knight
Wolf
Saville
Has Gruden been cut or are you just expecting this to be the line up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad