WJC: 2020 Team USA Roster Talk

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Gruden, Mastrosimone and Johnson are first cuts. I did not expect Gruden to be one of those guys but on the other hand Mastrosimone and Johnson was pretty expected.

I also somewhat love the fact that Lou let Wahlstrom to go play for USA but Dobson is sitting on the press box.:naughty:

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Johnson is a bit unexpected but not shocking as he's eligible to return next year. He's better than Stastney, although Spencer would be one of the oldest players in the tournament, which has its advantages. There's just a logjam of LHD.

Gruden isn't surprising. He's a marginal player and while his dad has a lot of history with the NTDP, there wasn't any actual evidence for the perceived favoritism some posters were projecting with Gruden.

Glad Mastrosimone got a look but he never really had a shot as the '01 forwards are too deep. He'll be a strong contender next year.

Reactions: ASPIFC

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Always tough cuts here but they make sense.

For further context I think this drives Harris to the final roster:
  • Overall good play during the summer camps and in NCAA this season for a ranked program
  • Ability to helm right D effectively as a left hand shot
  • NU asst. Jerry Keefe being in charge of the team's power play, and Harris being on the 1st unit of NU's power play
If he does miss the final cut then oh well they needed RHD. Food for thought.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Gruden, Mastrosimone and Johnson are first cuts. I did not expect Gruden to be one of those guys but on the other hand Mastrosimone and Johnson was pretty expected.

I also somewhat love the fact that Lou let Wahlstrom to go play for USA but Dobson is sitting on the press box.:naughty:

Happy to see Dobson contributing last night from the press box lol.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Always tough cuts here but they make sense.

For further context I think this drives Harris to the final roster:
  • Overall good play during the summer camps and in NCAA this season for a ranked program
  • Ability to helm right D effectively as a left hand shot
  • NU asst. Jerry Keefe being in charge of the team's power play, and Harris being on the 1st unit of NU's power play
If he does miss the final cut then oh well they needed RHD. Food for thought.

I think this is all reasonable. If I had my druthers, they'd cut Stastney and Krygier and the rest are locks. The one interesting thing is they've had Krygier on the right side during the early phases of camp unlike at the WJSS, along with Emberson and Regula (only RHD), and Harris and Stastney (both playing on right since WJSS).

Last edited:
Reactions: SpartanProdigy

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
Ford, Stastney and Krygier. Interesting to see how different i see things after exhibition games.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Don't you just get the feeling that Krygier is so not like the others that they must see something in him they want? If someone like that isn't eliminated in the first round I feel like the coach must have a thing for him.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stastney and and Krygier are easy cuts now that Johnson is gone. If either make the team, thats ridiculous. You can debate back and forth between the seven we expect to make it and Johnson, but Stastney or Krygier don't belong.

Last forward cut probably comes down to Ford and Hall. I'll guess Hall is cut. Players like Janicke and Pivonka might not be putting up great stats, but they are good fourth line players. Pivonka's a great penalty killer and face off man. Janicke's a great penalty killer, very hard working forechecker, very good skater, can play a few different positions.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I'm really hoping Jones makes the cut. He's put up great numbers since being drafted, and i'm excited for the chance to see him play.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
If we lose to you guys on Boxing Day in any fashion, I’m blaming it all on Lou releasing Wahlstrom (which was reasonable) but holding onto Dobson just to make him a healthy scratch game after game.

It’s a conspiracy, I tell you. ;)

Nah, just cheer for the Canes to take out NYI 4 straight in the opening rd. of the playoffs. and maybe we can get Dobson some practice reps with the big boys @ the WHC to salvage what is shaping up to be something of a lost year for him in his development. Although I'm torn on the matter, b/c I'd love to see Hamilton finally give the men's tourney a spin. with the year he's putting in.

now, back on topic. can we please get a Canada v USA gold medal game on the 5th., please and thank you very much.

Reactions: Dominance

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Nah, just cheer for the Canes to take out NYI 4 straight in the opening rd. of the playoffs. and maybe we can get Dobson some practice reps with the big boys @ the WHC to salvage what is shaping up to be something of a lost year for him in his development. Although I'm torn on the matter, b/c I'd love to see Hamilton finally give the men's tourney a spin. with the year he's putting in.

now, back on topic. can we please get a Canada v USA gold medal game on the 5th., please and thank you very much.

Only if the US wins

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019
So jealous of Canadians. They got to watch Canada play exhibition games vs USports before cuts, TSN is broadcasting all of their pre-tourney games, meanwhile, as an American, we are lucky that NHLN even broadcasts our tournament games.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
So jealous of Canadians. They got to watch Canada play exhibition games vs USports before cuts, TSN is broadcasting all of their pre-tourney games, meanwhile, as an American, we are lucky that NHLN even broadcasts our tournament games.

The hype with this tourney as a Canadian is insane. They started advertising the broadcasts over a month ago on TSN.

It's a shame you guys don't get the same benefits

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019
The hype with this tourney as a Canadian is insane. They started advertising the broadcasts over a month ago on TSN.

It's a shame you guys don't get the same benefits
Yeah just wish hockey was as popular in the US as it is in Canada, so we would have more access. Must be nice being a hockey fan living in Canada... :)

Reactions: dralaf and DJB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad