WJC: 2020 Team USA Roster Talk

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
.....so.....the 2019 camp roster was released, and I am going to focus on 2020 after seeing some of the names listed there lol... I am not sure what to make of that camp roster, a few puzzling choices and non choices, but I want to put a roster together for next year and compare it to right now...I think I might feel even worse looking at next years team compared to now. to be fair, I think the US roster is still strong, but leaving off Walsh, Wilde, Kaliyev, Zegras, Gildon, etc is disappointing as if that team has trouble scoring, look no further to these names not there.

let's take a look at what this team could look like next year. right off the bat, we should expect a much more talented group offensively.

the thought of this trio together yet again is fascinating:

Joel Farabee - Jack Hughes - Oliver Wahlstrom
  • well aware that Mr. Hughes likely is in the NHL, but one could hope right?? lol..
Matthew Boldy - Trevor Zegras - Arthur Kaliyev
  • IMO, all 3 should be here at camp for the 2019 team...this would be a lethal 2nd line
Cole Caufield - Alex Turcotte - Bobby Brink
  • another absolute electric line, skill...skill....and more skill
Jack Drury - Nicholas Robertson - John Farinacci
  • strong, skilled and balanced 4th line...this is way too skilled of a 4th line
John Beecher - Ryder Rolston - Robert Mastrosimone
  • lol, this is the 5th line for this team......
Ryder Donovan - Jake Wise - Judd Caulfield
  • still going, line 6th still is strong with talent....
Blade Jenkins - Antonio Stranges - Blake McLaughlin
  • just now starting to get to 02's....my lord this group is massively deep
Shane Pinto - Josh Nodler - Luke Toporowski
  • another strong group mixed with size, skill and grit
Jonathan Gruden - Jake Pivonka - Grant Silianoff
  • things are finally starting to slow down a bit, but this trio is still solid
Avery Hayes - Curtis Hall - Sean Farrell/Ryan O'Reilly/Trevor Janicke
  • I will just stop here, still talented players, likely missing some names, but damn this is deep...I barely even scratched the 02's including the USNDP 02'....

for the defense it obviously isn't as deep as the forwards, but is going to be able to hold it's own here as well.

K'Andre Miller - Bode Wilde

Mattias Samuelsson - Cam York

Alec Regula - Slava Demin

Ty Emberson - Marshall Warren

Alex Vlasic - Henry Thrun

Ben Brinkman - Ryan Johnson

Mike Koster - Cade Webber

Drew Helleson - Spencer Stastney

this is just one massively deep group.....I am sure I have forgotten some names, but this group has to be one of the most talented and deep groups we have ever had at our disposal...

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
lol, that team is going to be absurd it's almost funny. Even losing Hughes, that would be one of the most skilled forward groups top to bottom the US has ever had. Will also have Knight returning after getting experience this year

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I always like doing these, so here goes nothing with a ridiculously early projected 2019 WJSS camp roster:

Forwards (x24)

John Beecher
Matthew Boldy
Bobby Brink
Cole Caufield
Judd Caulfied
Jack Drury
Joel Farabee
John Farinacci
Sean Farrell
Parker Ford
Michael Gildon
Johnny Gruden
Curtis Hall
Trevor Janicke
Blade Jenkins
Arthur Kaliyev
Robert Mastrosimone
Blake McLaughlin
Nicholas Robertson
Ryder Rolston
Luke Toporowski
Alex Turcotte
Oliver Wahlstrom
Trevor Zegras

Defense (x14)

Ben Brinkman
Slava Demin
Ty Emberson
Jordan Harris
Ryan Johnson
Case McCarthy
K'Andre Miller
Alec Regula
Mattias Samuelsson
Henry Thrun
Alex Vlasic
Marshall Warren
Bode Wilde
Cam York

Goalies (x4)

Drew Commesso
Spencer Knight
Isaiah Saville
Dustin Wolf

Notes:
  • I didn't include Jack Hughes as he'll likely be in the NHL. Regardless, there's no point having him at the summer camp. Let him prepare for the NHL and if for some reason he's available December 2019, he'll have no problem jumping right into the team and destroying the tournament.
  • This should be a incredibly strong pool to choose from, both in terms of high-end talent and depth as well. Much better than this year, which isn't surprising given the talent and depth in the '01 birth group that will be aged into tournament availability (not officially, just in terms of likelihood of selection as non-underagers).
  • The '00 forwards need to step up because other than the guys already in play this year (Farabee, Wahlstrom, Drury) they've largely not done anything to improve their standing this season. And if we're honest, most have have looked downright pedestrian to be generous.
    • I can't fathom including guys like Jake Wise, Tyler Weiss, or Jake Pivonka until they show a reason why they should be included.
    • Guys like Ryder Donovan and Brady Meyer are all hype right now.
    • I've liked Trevor Janicke and Parker Ford at the WJAC, but it's not a high-end tournament and they're bottom 6 contenders at best. However, USAH loves guys that can skate with some offensive skill on the 4th line, so they fit too.
  • Luckily for the offense, the '01 forwards are so incredibly deep that it feels like the '97 group all over again.
  • The defense should be deep and talented. I've been pretty impressed with Ryan Johnson at the WJAC.
  • In goal, you'll have Knight (again) and Wolf, who will both be eligible for the 2021 WJC as well, so I honestly don't really care who they pick in the other goalie spots for camp. If anything, I just hope some '02 goalies emerge in the next year to get involved for experience's sake.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Really hope Wilde gets a shot next year.

Blade Jenkins also having a strong season for Saginaw. If he makes it next year he could add some nice grit mixed with skill to the squad.

Next years team is going to be insane though. A lot of really good players won’t make it.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Really hope Wilde gets a shot next year.

Blade Jenkins also having a strong season for Saginaw. If he makes it next year he could add some nice grit mixed with skill to the squad.

Next years team is going to be insane though. A lot of really good players won’t make it.

I think Pivonka is more likely than Jenkins

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Next year. Gonna say no Hughes, but we get everyone else.

Farabee-Turcotte-Caufield
Boldy-Zegras-Wahlstrom
Kaliyev-Drury-Wise
Beecher-Pivonka-Janicke
Brink

Samuelsson-Wilde
Miller-Emberson
York-Regula
Thrun

Knight
Rowe
Wolf

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Too, too early, but why not?

Forwards (x13):

Joel Farabee - Trevor Zegras - Oliver Wahlstrom
Matthew Boldy - Alex Turcotte - Cole Caufield
Arthur Kaliyev - Jack Drury - Bobby Brink
Luke Toporowski - Parker Ford - Trevor Janicke
Nic Robertson

Defense (x7):

Mattias Samuelsson - Bode Wilde
K'Andre Miller - Ty Emberson
Cam York - Henry Thrun
Alec Regula

Goalies (x3):

Spencer Knight
Dustin Wolf
Isaiah Saville
Notes:
  • Even without Hughes, this team is much more skilled than our last two squads. Two highly skilled centers and three elite goal scorers.
  • I don't expect there to actually be eight '01 forwards, but right now that's a conservative projection based on talent. The '01s are an incredibly deep birth year up front and the '00 forwards are highly underwhelming beyond Farabee and Wahlstrom. Drury is far from a lock even as a returnee. I'm sure they'll ram through some players from this list (Gruden, Pivonka, McLaughlin, Wise, Hall, etc.) but none of those players is even close to this level at this point. If we're going to take some '00 fforwards take ones that can skate and play various roles, so guys like Ford and Janicke, and even those guys are projections right now as they're in the USHL.
  • Defense should be a deep group again. Hopefully the staff doesn't botch it again. Two things I'm interested to see: which '01s separate themselves and which RHD establish themselves, especially the latter as Wilde clearly isn't in USAH's good graces right now and Regula isn't a sure thing. The defensive options are extremely left shot heavy once again. Ryan Johnson is my surprise pick right now to make it as he was fantastic at the WJAC.
  • The goalies should be the easiest choice ever. Take Knight and Wolf and then who cares.

Last edited:

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Without reading too much into 1 tournament, I don’t think Jack is a lock to be in the nhl next season.

Reactions: Rob

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I wouldn't even be too shocked if Farabee and Wahlstrom weren't available next year. Both played pretty well in this tournament for 18 year olds. I don't think either will be ready for the NHL next year but with the state of their college programs right now, they might be eager to bolt.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wouldn't even be too shocked if Farabee and Wahlstrom weren't available next year. Both played pretty well in this tournament for 18 year olds. I don't think either will be ready for the NHL next year but with the state of their college programs right now, they might be eager to bolt.

They can bolt and not play in the NHL. I don't think their NHL teams are putting them in the NHL unless they are ready.

I don't see either being good enough to play in the NHL next season.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I think Brink will be good enough to make it, but despite being an '01 he's still a junior in high school this year. He could accelerate and play for Denver next year, but if he doesn't and doesn't go to the WHL, he'd be in the USHL again most likely. When is the last time someone made the WJC team from the USHL? Not including NTDP guys of course.

Guy Gadowsky

May 10, 2017
So the 2020 WJC team should be mainly players from this years U-18 squad?

I'm excited for that

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Without reading too much into 1 tournament, I don’t think Jack is a lock to be in the nhl next season.

I agree. Not because of his play but more because of his frame. He should be given more time to develop physically. Probably depends on how desperate the NHL team that drafts him is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad