WJC: 2020 Team USA Roster Talk

ASPIFC

Jun 20, 2019
They already got an extended look at him at the WJSS where he was objectively underwhelming. Considering he has no season resume to combat that performance, I just don't see what he would be able to do in a limited selection camp to jump ahead of his competition (Regula, Johnson, Jones, Krygier, Harris, Emberson, etc.)

WJSS should not be major factor. Games in summer are not showing who should be in December camp and who shouldn't. It is more that guys and coaches can feel more familiar going forward. US need right handed guys and there is nothing to lose really. If he is not performing then send him back to Bridgeport.

Specially you dont leave him out because of guy like Krygier.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
WJSS should not be major factor. Games in summer are not showing who should be in December camp and who shouldn't. It is more that guys and coaches can feel more familiar going forward. US need right handed guys and there is nothing to lose really. If he is not performing then send him back to Bridgeport.

I agree, and I think it's ridiculous that there's a debate to his spot on the team, but USAH doesn't like him for some reason.

SpartanProdigy

Apr 22, 2019

Don't disagree at all, WJSS shouldn't be a major factor, the problem is that he doesn't have any track record since to fall back on which makes his WJSS performance a bigger factor than it should be. And it's not like he has stepped in at Bridgeport and lit it up in the few games he's played.

The way I see it, Miller (LD), York (LD), Samuelsson (LD), Emberson (RD), Regula (RD) are/ or should be locks. Jones is probably a near lock as well, which leaves basically one spot for Johnson, Harris, Wilde, Krygier or any other wild cards. Really the RHD shouldn't be an issue as Jones has good experience playing on the right side. I think what it will come down to is whether they want the extra D skater to be a physical shut-down type or a high skill finesse puck mover. Given the number of high quality skating puck movers they have (York, Miller, Jones, Harris) my guess would be the former, especially after last year when they seemed to put a huge emphasis on bigger physical defensive presences with very little offensive skill.

I, personally have no issues or bias either way, I think Wilde can be a quality offensive talent who probably can help the team, I just can't help but think that his lack of track record this year combined with some of his defensive inconsistencies puts him at a disadvantage at this point with USAH. I would not be opposed to bringing him into camp to take another look at him at all.

Reactions: Finster8

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Goalies: Knight, Saville, Wolf
Defense: Emberson, Harris, Johnson, Jones, Krygier, Miller, Regula, Samuelsson, Stastney, York
Forwards: Beecher, Brink, Caufield, Drury, Ford, Gruden, Hall, Janicke, Kaliyev, Mastrosimone, Pinto, Pivonka, Robertson, Turcotte, Zegras

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Goalies: Knight, Saville, Wolf
Defense: Emberson, Harris, Johnson, Jones, Krygier, Miller, Regula, Samuelsson, Stastney, York
Forwards: Beecher, Brink, Caufield, Drury, Ford, Gruden, Hall, Janicke, Kaliyev, Mastrosimone, Pinto, Pivonka, Robertson, Turcotte, Zegras

A prediction or youre watching the show?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
No Boldy. The one "shocker" but with his struggles thus far, not totally shocking.

No Wahlstrom. I'm guessing the Islanders are still deciding and he's a lock for the team without camp if they let him go.

No Wilde, but that's not surprising. Some folks will just act like it is. He's a low hockey IQ player with a lot of red flags and no guaranteed upside in this tournament.

All the other picks are straightforward and expected or deserving.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
27 / 28, probably one of my better years for predictions, although I predicted 29 players.

The only guy I didn't have was Mastrosimone, but I wanted him there, I just figured they wouldn't leave home a 19 year old to get a look at another 18 year old; instead, they left home a struggling 18 year old in Boldy. I would have still taken a look at Boldy and left home a guy like Pivonka or the like.

I also thought Wahlstrom would be there, but it sounds like he's still a possibility, so hopefully the Islanders let him go. He's not NHL ready and Bridgeport is a tire fire.

No off-the-wall picks this year.

Roster should be coming out this week. The only thing I'd change about my previously projected camp roster would be to add Shane Pinto and remove 1 of Lindmark or Pivonka. Lindmark has more upside, but I think they'll opt to bring along Pivonka instead since he's 19 and it's going to likely be a young forward group already.

I'd rather bring along another RHD and/or a higher upside left-handed d-man like Jayden Struble instead of Krygier or Stastney. I just don't see a place for Stastney on this team as all players he's competing with are just much better versions of him. Krygier is good at what he does (shutdown d-man) and while I don't think that's an obvious need on the team, especially one loaded with LHD, I think he'll probably get a look nonetheless.

I don't have any off-the-board picks though and USAH seems to almost always have at least one of them at camp. Last year it was Michael Callahan, the year before that it was Cole Hults and Hugh McGing, and so on.

Who are some of the off-the-board guys folks think may find their way to camp? Ryan Roth? Hunter Skinner? Matt Kessel? The latter two are RHD and this team could use more RHD's in contention with only Emberson (having a slow start), Regula (having a strong start but it's London and he has no USAH history) and Wilde (litany of red flags: poor WJSS, basically just started his season after injury, USAH not seemingly a fan, etc.) as obvious contenders. I haven't seen much beyond highlights though of Skinner or Kessel though. Has anyone seen them enough this year to say? Realistic options? Skinner seems more likely a target next year and while Kessel was a bit under the radar for UMass (joined right before the season), he's apparently been a revelation for them. Coach Carvel called him their most impressive freshman (high praise considering Zac Jones is also on the team).

We're a decent way into the hockey season and also about ~3 weeks away from the December camp roster being released, so it feels like a good time to attempt a guess at that roster. As always, I try to find a balance between what I'd do versus what I think USAH will do. A lot can change in 3 weeks, so I may alter this a bit in early December, but for now, let's see how wrong I can get it.

Forwards (x16):

John Beecher
Matthew Boldy
Bobby Brink
Cole Caufield
Jack Drury
Parker Ford
Jonathan Gruden
Curtis Hall
Trevor Janicke
Arthur Kaliyev
Owen Lindmark
Jacob Pivonka
Nic Robertson
Alex Turcotte
Oliver Wahlstrom
Trevor Zegras

Defense (x10):

Ty Emberson
Jordan Harris
Ryan Johnson
Zac Jones
Christian Krygier
K'Andre Miller
Alec Regula
Mattias Samuelsson
Spencer Stastney
Cam York

Goalies (x3):

Spencer Knight
Isaiah Saville
Dustin Wolf
Notes:
  • # of invitees estimated based on last 2 preliminary camp totals (2019 - 29, 2018 - 28)
  • Unavailable: Jack Hughes, Joel Farabee
  • Forwards:
    • I think Wahlstrom gets released. He's not ready for the NHL and Bridgeport is a nightmare in the AHL, so the couple of weeks away should be good for his development. If the Islanders are wavering, there's always the option that he skips the preliminary camp but plays in the tournament.
    • Overall, nothing too out of the ordinary. Lindmark was an early cut at the WJSS, but I think he's done enough to earn a second look as a possible 4th line center. Ford was likely a bubble invite after the WJSS, but he's been excellent thus far at Providence. All the other guys are fairly obvious as likely invitees.
    • I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert Mastrosimone or Patrick Moynihan at camp. I'd prefer leaving one of the potential bottom 6 guys (Gruden, Drury, Ford, Hall, Janicke, Pivonka, Lindmark) home to get a look at Mastrosimone instead, but on my camp roster, there's only 7 nineteen year old forwards and Wahlstrom is the only a guaranteed fit for a scoring line (if he's available), so I'm not sold that USAH will leave home a bubble 19 year old to see a bubble 18 year old.
    • Is Ryan Roth a possible "off-the-wall" pick? I've only seen highlights, but he's a skilled player having a nice season.
    • I don't think Shane Pinto or Blake McLaughlin have done enough - both at the WJSS and in the NCAA this season - to warrant looks.
  • Defense:
    • For the most part, I think this is an easy group of invitees to pick. Basically all the guys that were on the final WJSS roster sans Bode Wilde, while adding Alec Regula who missed the WJSS with an injury.
    • I think choosing which LHD make the team (not which ones play the LHD spot though) is going to be the hardest decision of them all. Miller, Samuelsson, and York are all locks and Jones, Johnson, and Harris all deserve to be there too. That would leave just one spot for a RHD (unless they go 12f and 8d, which they never do) and I think you have to take at least 2 RHD assuming you have 2 deserving choices. Johnson offers the least in the way of points of the Jones/Johnson/Harris trio, but he's also the best defensively and a potential returnee next year. This is the battle I'll be following the most.
    • Wilde just returned last night from injury for his first game for Bridgeport. I think he'll need to have a really good 2+ weeks in the AHL to get an invite. I don't think he's a difference maker at the WJC, but it would be nice to have another RHD possibly in the mix if he's playing well.
    • Is Hunter Skinner a possible "off-the-wall" pick? The team needs RHD options and he's having a nice season in London. He's more a guy to watch for next year, but USAH has made more shocking selections than he would be.
  • Goalies:
    • Easiest decisions on the team. These 3 should all be locks and I hope they're honest with Saville that at most he may get to dress as the backup one time when they give Knight break and let him decide if he'd rather stay and play with UNO (he'd miss anywhere from 4-6 games if he went to the WJC) instead since he's not eligible to return next year.
    • The only other name I've seen thrown around is DeRidder, but he was awful at the WJSS, he's a backup at Michigan St., he hasn't been good in the game action he's seen with the Spartans this year, and he's not eligible to return. Why bother?
    • I'd rather bring along an '02 goalie than Saville, but I'm not sure there's anyone deserving. Maybe Tucker Tynan from Niagara? I haven't seen him play this year, but I've heard he's been pretty good for them and stole their #1 role.

Last edited:

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Caufield-Turcotte-Wahlstrom
Kaliyev-Zegras-Brink
Robertson-Drury-Pinto
Gruden-Beecher-Janicke
Ford

Miller-Emberson
Samuelsson-Johnson
York-Regula
Harris

Knight
Wolf
Saville

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
So theyre going to play some exhibition games and cut 2 forwards and 3 D?

Yep, they have exhibitions against Sweden and Germany, plus they are doing a "scrimmage" against the NTDP U18s before they leave for the Czech Republic. They would cut an additional forward if Wahlstrom ends up available though.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
27 / 28, probably one of my better year on predictions, although I predicted 29 players.

The only guy I didn't have was Mastrosimone, but I wanted him there, I just figured they wouldn't leave home a 19 year old to get a look at another 18 year old; instead, they left home a struggling 18 year old in Boldy. I would have still taken a look at Boldy and left home a guy like Pivonka or the like.

I also thought Wahlstrom would be there, but it sounds like he's still a possibility, so hopefully the Islanders let him go. He's not NHL ready and Bridgeport is a tire fire.

No off-the-wall picks this year.

None of the Islanders WJHC-eligible pro players have been named to their respective preliminary rosters (Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde and Holmstrom). I suspect it will be an omnibus decision on their part on whether to release.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
None of the Islanders WJHC-eligible pro players have been named to their respective preliminary rosters (Dobson, Wahlstrom, Wilde and Holmstrom). I suspect it will be an omnibus decision on their part on whether to release.

Yeah, would make sense. They just called up Dobson due to Leddy's injury too. I would imagine we'll hear soon either way, although I don't think Wilde's name being left off has anything to do with the Islanders.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Would have liked to see Moynihan for experience but the last two Devils prospects to make USA out of the blue ended up busts. Whatever let's me sleep at night.

In a year where there isn't as much deserving 18 year old depth, I think he would have been at camp as he's had a really good year, although I think it's a year early for him to have a positive impact at the tournament. But the only '01 forward you would have reasonably considered him over would have been Mastrosimone, and I would have also favored Mastrosimone if I was choosing the camp roster.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Obvious now, but if Wahlstrom is coming, it'll only be for the exhibition games + tournament, not practices in Michigan.

Notably Wilde is not mentioned. Bringing 11 d-men would be unheard of for USAH if they were holding out hope for him and there'd be no reason for them to still have hope for Wahlstrom but not Wilde if they wanted him. Obviously Hughes and Farabee were and are no-go's.

Last edited:
Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I told everyone that Wilde wasn’t a lock. He should’ve been because he’s probably the best defensemen in the age group, but USAH hates the kid. I wonder what he did. It’s never been clear why they disliked him so much.

No Boldy is ridiculous. It’s not that he’s doing so great right now, it’s that eventually his luck with scoring will even out. He’s a better hockey player than all of the bottom end of the roster. And we might need him next year if Turcotte, Zegras and Caufield are in the NHL. Having a WJC already played would’ve been good for him next year.

Aside from that, no huge surprises. They took their favorites for the bottom end of the selection camp roster. As long as they don’t make the team, there shouldn’t be any problems.

Reactions: Finster8

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Caufield-Turcotte-Wahlstrom
Kaliyev-Zegras-Brink
Robertson-Drury-Pinto
Gruden-Beecher-Janicke
Ford

Miller-Emberson
Samuelsson-Johnson
York-Regula
Harris

Knight
Wolf
Saville

Gruden sucks. He’s easily the worst forward on the roster. He’s there’s because of his dad’s connections. I also think Pivonka will be the center on the 4th line. I think with the Boldy cut, Mastrosimone as a 13F makes sense over Ford. We need more skill.

Defense is lacking Jones. He’s probably our most in form defensemen this season and the team needs more PP defensemen. York is the only real threat on the PP among those defensemen you listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad