GDT: 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs ( General talk )

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's really interesting to me to see which players have the ability to step it up in the playoffs. Not everybody can. A guy like Tkachuk, who oozes skill and power in the regular season, vanishes like smoke when the playoffs roll around. Meanwhile journeyman bottom sixer Tyler Motte drills in massive goals for his underdog team when they need a little extra. It's why I want to hold on to guys like Compher as long as possible, clutchness may not be something the statwhackers can quantify yet, but it's a real thing and it matters if you want to win championships.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's really interesting to me to see which players have the ability to step it up in the playoffs. Not everybody can. A guy like Tkachuk, who oozes skill and power in the regular season, vanishes like smoke when the playoffs roll around. Meanwhile journeyman bottom sixer Tyler Motte drills in massive goals for his underdog team when they need a little extra. It's why I want to hold on to guys like Compher as long as possible, clutchness may not be something the statwhackers can quantify yet, but it's a real thing and it matters if you want to win championships.
Yup every championship team has had a foot soldier come through in the clutch. Remember the year Fernando Pisani had like 15 goals lol

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Now Blues fans shall call this playoffs illegitimate. Another group of losing fans join the naysayers!

Happy to see the Blues out, and don't mind this group of Canucks going through at all. Quite a few likeable players, and a lot of young talent -- Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes. As long as their management doesn't mess it up and properly builds around them, they should be one of the challengers in the West for a while.
The Canucks are loaded with talent but they're also loaded with awful contracts, which is going to prevent them from being contenders for a while. Not only that, but they have very, very key free agents to re-sign without cap space.

Loui Eriksson still has 2 years left at 6M
Micheal Ferland still has 3 years left at 3.5M
Antoine Roussel still has 2 years left at 3M
Jay Beagle still has 2 years left at 3M
Tyler Myers still has 4 years left at 6M

Meanwhile, Jacob Markstrom, Chris Tanev, and Tyler Toffoli are all UFA's while Jake Virtanen, Tyler Motte, Troy Stetcher, and Adam Gaudette are all RFA's.

Markstrom only makes 3.6M now, he's going to need a raise. Ditto Tyler Toffoli and his 4.6M (although I don't think by much). Tyler Motte is playing his way into a nice raise, and Virtanen isn't going to settle for the 1.25M he's currently making.

Moves have to be made in Vancouver in order for that team to be successful long term, because none of those contracts I listed expire before Elias Pettersson needs a new deal and what is surely going to cost Vancouver 10+M.

Reactions: Avs_19

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
The Canucks are loaded with talent but they're also loaded with awful contracts, which is going to prevent them from being contenders for a while. Not only that, but they have very, very key free agents to re-sign without cap space.

Loui Eriksson still has 2 years left at 6M
Micheal Ferland still has 3 years left at 3.5M
Antoine Roussel still has 2 years left at 3M
Jay Beagle still has 2 years left at 3M
Tyler Myers still has 4 years left at 6M

Meanwhile, Jacob Markstrom, Chris Tanev, and Tyler Toffoli are all UFA's while Jake Virtanen, Tyler Motte, Troy Stetcher, and Adam Gaudette are all RFA's.

Markstrom only makes 3.6M now, he's going to need a raise. Ditto Tyler Toffoli and his 4.6M (although I don't think by much). Tyler Motte is playing his way into a nice raise, and Virtanen isn't going to settle for the 1.25M he's currently making.

Moves have to be made in Vancouver in order for that team to be successful long term, because none of those contracts I listed expire before Elias Pettersson needs a new deal and what is surely going to cost Vancouver 10+M.
Don't forget about Lou's 3.0M recapture for 2 more seasons

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Vancouver's core younsters are playing great and that is massive going forward.

I don't think the Canucks are built particularly well with a bunch of crap contracts among other things.

However, knowing that your top guys can bring it when it matters is huge. A ton of teams have a core that will melt like ice cream on the dunes of the Sahara once they get to a must win game.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Vancouver's core younsters are playing great and that is massive going forward.

I don't think the Canucks are built particularly well with a bunch of crap contracts among other things.

However, knowing that your top guys can bring it when it matters is huge. A ton of teams have a core that will melt like ice cream on the dunes of the Sahara once they get to a must win game.
You could have been more blunt: this is the Toronto Maple Leafs and Calgary Flames lol

Reactions: PG Canuck

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Always happy to see the Blues go down but boy as if Canucks fans aren’t already insufferable enough, now that they’ve won a round and their team is a contender it’s going to just get worse and worse.

That said I quite enjoy watching that Canucks team and love the core they’ve put together. Hopefully for their sake Benning can do something about those albatross contracts for their bottom sixers so they can keep getting better.

Reactions: AvsCOL

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I wonder what happens with Pietro. If he leaves the Blues take a major step backwards. However, he probably is demanding an extension that will look ugly in the not too distant future.

Allowing your #1D get this close to UFA and potentially walk for nothing was an awful decision.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I wonder what happens with Pietro. If he leaves the Blues take a major step backwards. However, he probably is demanding an extension that will look ugly in the not too distant future.

Allowing your #1D get this close to UFA and potentially walk for nothing was an awful decision.
Too many GMs bank on unsustainable cap growth to save their asses. Any stalling of that growth wrecks their plans.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Always happy to see the Blues go down but boy as if Canucks fans aren’t already insufferable enough, now that they’ve won a round and their team is a contender it’s going to just get worse and worse.

That said I quite enjoy watching that Canucks team and love the core they’ve put together. Hopefully for their sake Benning can do something about those albatross contracts for their bottom sixers so they can keep getting better.
They’ve never been sufferable

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Blues are toast.

Short window
Aging core
Salary cap issues
Garbage goalies

I kept waiting for the clock to strike midnight on binnington last season and it never happened but it seems he has been figured out. Fun while it lasted... One less thing to worry about in the central

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the only way Pietrangelo stays is if the Blues convince a team to take one of Allen/Binnington for literally nothing, and then convince Vince Dunn to take a short bridge deal that's hardly a raise from his current salary.

Call me a pessimist, I don't see that happening.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Speaking of Vince Dunn, half of their board wants him catapulted to the moon. He and Faulk are real popular there.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Speaking of Vince Dunn, half of their board wants him catapulted to the moon. He and Faulk are real popular there.
He was downright horrendous this playoff season. Justin Faulk I understand, because he's never been very good yet he's somehow convinced GM's to pay him big money and convinced coaches to give him top-4 minutes.

Vince Dunn isn't supposed to look as bad as he did, but he did. So there's some worry on their part about giving him big money, too.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Now Blues fans shall call this playoffs illegitimate. Another group of losing fans join the naysayers!

Happy to see the Blues out, and don't mind this group of Canucks going through at all. Quite a few likeable players, and a lot of young talent -- Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes. As long as their management doesn't mess it up and properly builds around them, they should be one of the challengers in the West for a while.
I hope the Avalanche win and this Corona Cup narrative persists to motivate them for a repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $20.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest