2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Maybe Toffoli signs a 1yr and sets a new production standard as well as sees where him and Pearson fit once they clear Edler Benn Tanev Leivo Sutter Baertschi Spooner and possibly Eriksson?

If he likes it here maybe it's better than going to a rebuild in California and close enough to his wife's work

Last edited:

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
If he likes it hear maybe it's better than going to a rebuild in California and close enough to his wife's work

I may have missed something about her job but could his wife not get a similar job elsewhere? Looks like she's an entertainment coordinator with the Dodgers.

Not saying his career is more important than hers, but if my wife could get a few extra million and have a chance to be at the top of her profession (i.e. Stanley Cup) in another city, I would quit my Analyst job so fast, LOL.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I know this is wishful thinking and been harped on... but we really need to lose 1-3 of these contracts (this off season): Baertschi, Sutter and/or Eriksson. But would also not argue seeing Beagle/Roussel moved out either. And an even more long shot Myers (IMO will never live up to $6M contract, period). Some combination of a few of these contracts off the books (or partially) would be extremely helpful for resigns (no not UFA signings Jimbo)!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I know this is wishful thinking and been harped on... but we really need to lose 1-3 of these contracts (this off season): Baertschi, Sutter and/or Eriksson. But would also not argue seeing Beagle/Roussel moved out either. And an even more long shot Myers (IMO will never live up to $6M contract, period). Some combination of a few of these contracts off the books (or partially) would be extremely helpful for resigns (no not UFA signings Jimbo)!

For the future of this team, it would be nice if we could lose all of the following contracts:

Eriksson
Myers
Sutter
Beagle
Roussel
Ferland

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
What about Louie post bonus for Bobby Ryan @ 50%?

Suggested by an OTT fan who clearly knows their owner is looking to get to the cap floor as cheaply as possible. ...

I don't think the Sens will have any trouble getting to the cap floor.

They have much of their team coming off the books and in particular some sizeable salaries in Boedker, Hainsey and Andersen, but they still have to replace them and factor in raises for Connor Brown and Anthony Duclair.

To look in detail, with a cap floor of $60.2 million, players and annual average amounts:

Forwards (*4): Bobby Ryan 7.25, Colin White 4.75, Artem Anisimov 4.55, Brady Tkachuk (3.0? **), Marian Gaborik (4.875 *) -total 24.425 million

Defence (4) : Chabot (8.0), Zaitsev (4.5), Reilly (1.5), Wolanin (0.9),

Goal (2): Nilsson 2.6, Hogberg 0.7

Buyouts: Phaneuf (1.354)

Total: $43.979 million with only 8 skaters provided for, so space for 13 more skaters to make up a 23 man roster.

[Notes:
* Gaborik is on the books but unable to play. They'll put him on the IRL and need to replace him, but his cap hit doesn't come off the books unless they apply to the NHL for long term injury relief and get it. There's no reason for them to apply for long term injury relief if they are well below the cap ceiling so can use that amount to get to the floor-while adding another player to actually play.

** Tkachuk is on an elc with salary of $925,000, a small signing bonus and $2.5 million in possible performance bonuses. I don't know the terms of his performance bonuses but assume he'll get some. The $3.0 AAV that I've included here is a guess that could be higher than he actually gets. If he were to earn no performance bonuses at all (unlikely with him being the team's top scorer this season just ended) then the Sens would have an extra $2 million to spend to get to the floor.]

That leaves the Sens having to spend $16.221 million to fill 13 more positions. In a year where teams are in cap hell because of the flat cap there will be teams unable to sign useful free agents so the Sens will be able to easily be able to spend $16.2 million and get good value for it.

They'll be able to get to the floor using far more useful players than Loui. For example, if they really wanted, just from the Canucks alone they may have a chance to pick up at least one of Toffoli, Markstrom, Tanev and Stecher. Spending $4.5 million for one free agent (someone similar in value to Tanev, for example) would leave them about $11.7 million to fill 12 roster spots.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Teams taking on bad contracts to get to the cap floor isn't and has never been a thing.

Reactions: MS

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Juolevi just got another competitor for a roster spot, He's going to have to show something stellar to get it.

If Rathbone can be the second offensive LD weapon long term, then the ideal third man on the left side would play great defensively and PK.

Can Juolevi become that, or does he become a chip in the off seasons chase for salary cap space?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Juolevi just got another competitor for a roster spot, He's going to have to show something stellar to get it.

If Rathbone can be the second offensive LD weapon long term, then the ideal third man on the left side would play great defensively and PK.

Can Juolevi become that, or does he become a chip in the off seasons chase for salary cap space?[/QUOTE]

Juolevi is gobbling up $863K until the end of next season..He's played approximately 100 games as a pro in the last 3 seasons (probably rehabbing his knee, hip, or back for 80% of those games)...

He's most likely at his lowest value right now...I don't think they're ready to cast him loose just yet.

You might need to pump the brakes a bit on Rathbone..

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
XXX - Horvat - Podkolzin
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen

Hughes - XXX
Rathbone - Myers
Edler - Stecher

Markstrom
Demko

That 2LW could be filled by Hoglander. Top 4 young RD to go with Hughes/Rathbone is the organization's biggest need.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Feel like I’ve proposed this before, but would you rather:
1) team remain basically the same except only being able to sign one of markstrom/tanev/toffoli?
Or
2) trade an asset to get rid of a bad contract (ala eriksson/baertschi/Sutter/beagle, etc) and have the ability to resign 2 of those above UFA’s?

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Why are the Canucks trading assets to shed poor salary commitments?
If we don’t then we are tight to cap and won’t be able to resign many (if any of toffoli, markstrom, tanev) and potentially are team takes a step back due to lack of skill in key spots. Don’t get me wrong I am not really happy with idea of losing podz, hog, 1st.... but with some creativity there has to be an option to relieve at least a little cap space.

Last edited:

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
If Ferland goes on LTIR, and we can move just one of the above albatrosses (albatri?) we would be in better shape. Probably need to let Stecher walk as well.

Also have to figure out the goalie situation going forward. Marky is going to cost some dough, and Demko looks promising but still not quite ready for prime time. We will lose one of them (assuming Marky is signed) to expansion. Do they let Marky walk and hope Demko can live up to his promise? Or do they sign Markstrom and look to move Demko as a sweetener in a package (which does make things complicated as not every team needs a goalie) or on his own?

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Nov 1, 2011
Teams taking on bad contracts to get to the cap floor isn't and has never been a thing.

I think both AZ and OTT have been accused of doing it in the past. Its not something you really want to admit to while charging fans to come see your team play.

The goalie situation will become clearer this season....the only thing that could affect it is how much flexibility we lose when trying to sign Markstrom. I think almost everyone agrees that we need to sign him.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I think both AZ and OTT have been accused of doing it in the past. Its not something you really want to admit to while charging fans to come see your team play.

The goalie situation will become clearer this season....the only thing that could affect it is how much flexibility we lose when trying to sign Markstrom. I think almost everyone agrees that we need to sign him.
I agree that it makes most sense to sign him, unless he holds out for ridiculous money. Markstrom has some great years to come and Demko can possibly be used as a trading chip, though probably not a lucrative one. And we do have DiPietro on the farm.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
What do people think of the possibility of this trade:

To St. Louis:
Brandon Sutter (50% retained)
Jake Virtanen
Nils Hoglander
2nd round pick

To Vancouver:
Vince Dunn

I hate the idea of moving more draft picks, but this deal clears half of Sutter's cap hit. It adds a budding young defensemen who is likely to receive a similar amount to what Virtanen was likely to get anyway so no real increase to the cap there. Going with Hughes, Dunn and Edler on the left side solidifies that side of our defense, and Dunn moves up next year when Edler moves out. With Rathbone now under contract, the left side of our defense would become a strength going forward, leaving the right side defense as our biggest hole.

To address our right side defense, I'm kicking tires on what Florida would want for Aaron Ekblad. I recall some speculation last year that they may consider moving him because of his cap hit, though that's likely changed by now. If you can get him at a bit of a discount due to his $7.5M cap hit, I'm jumping in on that. But if they're asking for a Brock Boeser (which might actually be a fair trade), I'm holding off simply because it would take away too much from our forward group where we honestly do lack quality young depth. I would also kick tires on Matt Dumba, depending on the cost. IIRC Minnesota has 2 defensemen on NMC's (Suter and Spurgeon). They'll have to decide on protecting Dumba or Brodin, and perhaps they'll take the almost $2M in cap savings by protecting Brodin and getting something for Dumba?

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Dunn is redundant with the Rathbone signing. And the Blues are looking to shed cap, not take more on. Dunn would have been a decent target if Rathbone didn’t sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad