2020 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
4 players Canucks could trade Loui Eriksson for to help salary cap | Offside

Interesting Daily Hive article proposes an Eriksson for Colin Miller swap with Buffalo. It would save the Canucks $2.2M in cap space in each of the next two seasons, but would save Buffalo $4M in actual cash. Plus, Miller is coming off a down year and thing he could rebound nicely playing next to Hughes or Edler or someone. I don't even think it would need a sweetener from our end given the cash savings for Buffalo. Assuming Stecher comes back for around $3M, and you can get Gaudette, Leivo, MacEwen, and Motte back for ~$5M total, that leaves the right side D in decent shape, with about $7M in cap space to re-sign Toffoli (will have to move on from Virtanen and buy out one of Sutter/Baertschi).

Virtanen and Baertschi
for
VAN 2020 1st

Both your proposals are brutal, but this one especially so. If New Jersey are moving what will be a pretty high first (or a lottery-unprotected pick NEXT year), they can do much better than an inconsistent scorer and $3M in deadweight salary. With the flat cap names like Kapanen, Johnsson, Perron, Palat, Gourde, etc are going to be on the move.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Trading Eriksson for Miller would make some sense if Buffalo isn’t on his 15 team NTC list (I highly doubt it’s not however), maybe adding Demko to even it out a bit. The Canucks could then give him a shot or try trading Miller with retention and eventually cut that 6M cap hit down to 1.94 for 2 years but that would require a bit more creativity then we’ve seen from head office thus far.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Jersey is looking for wingers.

Maybe something around Boeser for Ty Smith + Arizona’s 2020 1st (assuming its not 1st overall)?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Jersey is looking for wingers.

Maybe something around Boeser for Ty Smith + Arizona’s 2020 1st (assuming its not 1st overall)?
We are looking for defense first. Ty Smith isn’t getting traded.
Arizona’s 1st round pick is only likely to be on the table for a young top 4 defenseman.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
People be sleeping on Jake value..

Boeser with 45 points at 5.875 gets a kings ransom but Jake with 36 points for around 3 million gets a 2nd.. hmm...

Boeser had back to back 50+ point season and produces at a career 65 points per game clip. Him and Virtanen aren't even in the same realm of value. I think Virtanen is worth a late first or 2 2nds.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Boeser had back to back 50+ point season and produces at a career 65 points per game clip. Him and Virtanen aren't even in the same realm of value. I think Virtanen is worth a late first or 2 2nds.
Zero chance Virtanen is worth a 1st.

If he was, he should be out the door immediately.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont know why you guys are worrying about cap space. Baertschi just retired and Eriksson probably wont report to Utica now with Covid19 still running amok through the US in 2021.

It appears JB just found his loophole

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I dont know why you guys are worrying about cap space. Baertschi just retired and Eriksson probably wont report to Utica now with Covid19 still running amok through the US in 2021.

It appears JB just found his loophole

He didn't retire, he simply opted out of the RTP and the NHL was very clear that any player can do this without any consequences. He is still under contract for next season. Eriksson can be buried in the minors, and I sincerely hope he is as the team has coddled that player for way too long, but who knows what his response to that would be.

Anyways...here's another stab at the roster without something miraculous between now and next year. Defense is putrid, won't deny that. 23 man roster which could be shaved down to 22, and assumes Ferland is put on LITR once again.

Miller (5.25) – Petterson (0.925) – Boeser (5.875)
Pearson (3.75) – Horvat (5.5) – Toffoli (5)
Roussel (3) – Gaudette (2.25) – Virtanen (2.75)
Motte (1) – Beagle (3) – Leivo (1.75)
MacEwen (1)
Ferland (3.5)*

Edler (6) – Myers (6)
Hughes (0.916) – Tryamkin (2)
Benn (2) – Rafferty (0.7)
Fantenberg (1)

Markstrom (5.5)
Demko (1)

Luongo (3) / Spooner (1) / Bonuses (1.7) / Sutter buyout (2) / Eriksson buried (4.95) / Baertschi buried (2.29)

Sutter buyout leads to a cap hit of 2M next year and 1M the following year.

Reactions: geebaan

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

Interesting Daily Hive article proposes an Eriksson for Colin Miller swap with Buffalo. It would save the Canucks $2.2M in cap space in each of the next two seasons, but would save Buffalo $4M in actual cash. Plus, Miller is coming off a down year and thing he could rebound nicely playing next to Hughes or Edler or someone. I don't even think it would need a sweetener from our end given the cash savings for Buffalo. Assuming Stecher comes back for around $3M, and you can get Gaudette, Leivo, MacEwen, and Motte back for ~$5M total, that leaves the right side D in decent shape, with about $7M in cap space to re-sign Toffoli (will have to move on from Virtanen and buy out one of Sutter/Baertschi).

Both your proposals are brutal, but this one especially so. If New Jersey are moving what will be a pretty high first (or a lottery-unprotected pick NEXT year), they can do much better than an inconsistent scorer and $3M in deadweight salary. With the flat cap names like Kapanen, Johnsson, Perron, Palat, Gourde, etc are going to be on the move.

Neither of the four teams has any cash flow issues but all of them could use some more space space as well. There is no logical reason any team would do this.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
He didn't retire, he simply opted out of the RTP and the NHL was very clear that any player can do this without any consequences. He is still under contract for next season. Eriksson can be buried in the minors, and I sincerely hope he is as the team has coddled that player for way too long, but who knows what his response to that would be.

Anyways...here's another stab at the roster without something miraculous between now and next year. Defense is putrid, won't deny that. 23 man roster which could be shaved down to 22, and assumes Ferland is put on LITR once again.

Miller (5.25) – Petterson (0.925) – Boeser (5.875)
Pearson (3.75) – Horvat (5.5) – Toffoli (5)
Roussel (3) – Gaudette (2.25) – Virtanen (2.75)
Motte (1) – Beagle (3) – Leivo (1.75)
MacEwen (1)
Ferland (3.5)*

Edler (6) – Myers (6)
Hughes (0.916) – Tryamkin (2)
Benn (2) – Rafferty (0.7)
Fantenberg (1)

Markstrom (5.5)
Demko (1)

Luongo (3) / Spooner (1) / Bonuses (1.7) / Sutter buyout (2) / Eriksson buried (4.95) / Baertschi buried (2.29)

Sutter buyout leads to a cap hit of 2M next year and 1M the following year.

you don’t think we can’t trade Sutter to anybody?
Minnesota is gonna get one look at his mentor ship and come begging

Reactions: supercanuck

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
you don’t think we can’t trade Sutter to anybody?
Minnesota is gonna get one look at his mentor ship and come begging

Lol I doubt Minnesota wants him. I mean...they haven't tried putting him on waivers (or even exploring trading him) so I guess they could try. Also retention could be an option. But that roster would fit under the cap and we keep our current team with the exception of Tanev. That loss would be mitigated by having Toffoli for a full season (not directly obviously) but overall not really an improvement imo.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
If the Canucks win against the Wild, I’d like to see a couple things happen:

1. Virtanen + mid round 2020 pick to Jersey for Vancouver’s 2020 1st.

I’m done with Virtanen’s antics and he’s going to want to get a raise potentially in the $3M range.

Jersey needs wingers and has 3 1sts this year.

2. Boeser + Loui to Ottawa for Islanders 2020 1st + Brannstrom. Potential small add on Van’s end.

Normally I’d go after #5 but Sens very likely don’t give up both Brannstrom plus opportunity to draft his “replacement” in Drysdale.

Canucks get a young RHD on ELC who can play straight away, another mid round pick to replenish the prospect pool, plus get rid of Loui.

3. Re-sign Toffoli.

4. Potentially use one of the 2020 1sts to acquire a young middle 6 forward to replace Virtanen.

Above allows for reduction in Cap, ability to sign intended FAs, restocks pool and boosts the blue line.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
If the Canucks win against the Wild, I’d like to see a couple things happen:

1. Virtanen + mid round 2020 pick to Jersey for Vancouver’s 2020 1st.

I’m done with Virtanen’s antics and he’s going to want to get a raise potentially in the $3M range.

Jersey needs wingers and has 3 1sts this year.

2. Boeser + Loui to Ottawa for Islanders 2020 1st + Brannstrom. Potential small add on Van’s end.

Normally I’d go after #5 but Sens very likely don’t give up both Brannstrom plus opportunity to draft his “replacement” in Drysdale.

Canucks get a young RHD on ELC who can play straight away, another mid round pick to replenish the prospect pool, plus get rid of Loui.

3. Re-sign Toffoli.

4. Potentially use one of the 2020 1sts to acquire a young middle 6 forward to replace Virtanen.

Above allows for reduction in Cap, ability to sign intended FAs, restocks pool and boosts the blue line.
That would be awful.

Trade Virtanen for a 1st and then trade the first for a "young middle six forward" .... like Virtanen

Saddle an extremely valuable asset with an extremely negative value liability and get a magic bean and a small redundant defenseman we dont need at all.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
That would be awful.

Trade Virtanen for a 1st and then trade the first for a "young middle six forward" .... like Virtanen

Saddle an extremely valuable asset with an extremely negative value liability and get a magic bean and a small redundant defenseman we dont need at all.
Virtanen is f***ing garbage and likely has run the patience out of his coach and teammates. Coupled with him likely due a raise, it’s time to move on.

Benning has saddled this team with shit contracts and someone has to go. It’s either don’t re-sign Toffoli (and get justifiably crucified) and keep Boeser or re-sign Toffoli and trade Boeser for a reasonable return.

Given signs are pointing to Boeser being dealt and Toffoli being re-signed, the idea would be to get rid of other dead weight too.

Yes it’s likely that a team would pay more without Loui attached but unfortunately the pile of shit Benning has created as far as the Cap is concerned is Everest large.

So the thoughts are to complete some deals to not only alleviate the shit storm next year, but going forward as well.

It entirely depends on what a Boeser deal would look like but knowing the Canucks are in a tough spot, no one is ever going to give up the moon (like Benning would).

Coupled with the fact the expansion draft is on the horizon, deals need to get done.

I’m not convinced Boeser will ever be the Boeser we saw prior to his back injury either.

This team is a mess and there will be casualties. Status quo isn’t going to cut it.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

Sabres would only save $2.75M in cash (7.75M - 5M), not $4M. Canucks would save $4.25M total in cap hit. Given that teams buy out contracts at a rate of $2 cash per $1 cap hit saved-- and that's only on base salary; signing bonuses have to be paid in full-- it's difficult to believe that Buffalo would let Vancouver have cap savings for only 65 cents cash per cap hit dollar. And, while he did have a down year, Miller is still a more valuable asset than Loui. Can't see the Sabres making that deal without retention on Loui by the Canucks.

Last edited:

Nov 1, 2011
What about Louie post bonus for Bobby Ryan @ 50%?

Suggested by an OTT fan who clearly knows their owner is looking to get to the cap floor as cheaply as possible.

Also, I've been against the idea of trading Boeser but the offers listed here are pretty good: New Jersey Devils: Three Trade Packages For Brock Boeser

Wonder if we could get Bahl + our 1st back for Boeser + Eriksson. Seems to be highly valued in the article.

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Trying a difference approach to building the roster..

One of the main criticisms of how Benning has built this team is how much money is spent on the bottom of the roster. Keeping that in mind, what about using this off-season to start to fix the roster by keeping the most important players. To me, that would be your top four wingers, top three centers, top five defensemen, and starting goaltender. Then whoever is not part of that group, try to extract enough value to keep those 13 players under contract.

G - Markstrom
D - Hughes, Tanev, Edler, Myers, Stecher
C - EP, Horvat, Gaudette
W - Miller, Boeser, Pearson, Toffoli

Of course to keep all of them, that means using your non-core pieces with value in some sort of combination with your bloated contracts. The players outside of this core group that have value to me are Virtanen & Demko. I've left teams off as for now it's somewhat irrelevant, just trying to secure some of sort of value. You may also have to do separate deals to get the same value, but again I'll try to keep it simple:

Trade #1 - Demko, Baertschi, & a 4th for a 2nd
Trade #2 - Virtanen, Sutter & a 3rd for a 2nd, 5th

Signings:
Toffoli: 4x4.8
Gaudette: 1x1.6
MacEwen: 2 x 0.75
Bailey: 1 x 0.8
Tanev: 4 x 5.25
Markstrom: 4 x 5.5
Stecher: 1 x 2.5

Miller5.25Pettersson 0.925Toffoli4.8
Pearson3.75Horvat5.5Boeser5.875
Roussel3Gaudette1.6Ferland3.5
Motte1.1Beagle3MacEwen0.75
Bailey0.8Eriksson6
Hughes0.917Tanev5.25
Edler6Myers6
Benn2Stecher2.5
Rafferty0.7
Markstrom5.5
Domingue0.9
Spooner1.034
Luongo3.034
19/20 Bonus1.7
Forwards45.85
Defense23.37
Goal6.4
Other5.768
Total81.39
Cap81.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This is definitely a better team in 2020-21 than most rosters that either have Baertschi/Sutter buyouts or retention, plus also refills the draft picks a bit. The goal would be to field the best roster possible in 2020-21 while the EP/Hughes contracts are still cheap. Obviously losing Virtanen/Demko has some impact, though I'm not sure how much. I've also tried to avoid using any of the fantasy-land tricks like Ferland going on IR or Eriksson/Baertschi walking away from their deals.

Reactions: Nifty Sauce

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
One possibility I wonder about is the Canucks moving an overpaid forward and taking an overpaid defenseman in return.

Like, Kris Russell is overpaid but is a serviceable bottom-pairing guy. Could moving Sutter or Baertschi straight up for him work? This actually saves cap space because it allows the Canucks to address a roster spot without increasing the cap number.

Other guys you could look at for this kind of thing are Brendan Smith and Marc Staal.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Sabres would only save $2.75M in cash (7.75M - 5M), not $4M. Canucks would save $4.25M total in cap hit. Given that teams buy out contracts at a rate of $2 cash per $1 cap hit saved-- and that's only on base salary; signing bonuses have to be paid in full-- it's difficult to believe that Buffalo would let Vancouver have cap savings for only 65 cents cash per cap hit dollar. And, while he did have a down year, Miller is still a more valuable asset than Loui. Can't see the Sabres making that deal without retention on Loui by the Canucks.

Yeah you're right. The Canucks would either need to retain on Loui or add a sweetener to the deal.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Imagine thinking Toffoli is going to take a relatively low number to play in a place he doesn't desire as much as going back to California.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
While I like the approach m9, I dont think either trade nets a 2nd. Also the time to walk from tanev might be now, especially if you can replace 2/3 of him in free agency for half the cost.

Certainly seems like the best options are swap Eriksson for a retained bobby ryan or kris Russell, trade a future to lose the worst contract you can, or retain on sutter to a team that could use a 3C.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
While I like the approach m9, I dont think either trade nets a 2nd. Also the time to walk from tanev might be now, especially if you can replace 2/3 of him in free agency for half the cost.

Certainly seems like the best options are swap Eriksson for a retained bobby ryan or kris Russell, trade a future to lose the worst contract you can, or retain on sutter to a team that could use a 3C.

Yeah, was just trying to approximate value for both Virtanen & Demko. While I'm not sure either fetches a 1st, I do think two 2nds for each is fair. Once you incorporate the costs to ditch Baertschi/Sutter it gets tricky.

I tried to do it without moving on from Eriksson. I do see many good ideas out there involving him, but it just seems so improbable at this point that another team would want him in almost any scenario.

Agreed on Tanev. This roster experiment was more just to see if it would be possible to sign all of their key players to create the best roster for next year which may be appealing to this management group. Once the playoffs are over we'll have a bit more information. As of now I don't really know what direction the team should go in for next year, so looking at all options.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Imagine thinking Toffoli is going to take a relatively low number to play in a place he doesn't desire as much as going back to California.

I don't think Toffoli's final number is going to be as high as people think. I do agree he probably ends up back in California but I think if he signs there it is for 4.5 or under. 4.8-5.0 would probably be what the Canucks have to pay to get him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad