Boston Bruins 2020 PLAYOFFS - THE BEAR invades the Toronto bubble

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
At this point the bigger question may become "how are they going to pull off next season as early as December without bubbles?"
It seems as though they would have to use a bubble situation very similar to this one if they want to pull off a season. Would be very tough for players to go through many months of that away from their loved ones. A couple months ago I thought there was very little chance the NHL could pull off this tournament without it having to shut down at some point. Once they announced the two hub cities would be in Canada I felt that they at least had a reasonable chance of pulling it off, given that the US is a gong show at this point in dealing with the virus. This virus is so doggone contagious, as seen in a couple other sports and society at large, that I don't see how any sport can pull off a season this coming fall/winter without a bubble plan similar to the one in the NBA and NHL.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Again....it's still incredible.

For those of us in the US, the idea that this could be contained to this level is pretty amazing.

I see it more as « logical » and « as expected » than « incredible » but like you said, it may be the US situation that you are living in that makes you see it that way.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
It seems as though they would have to use a bubble situation very similar to this one if they want to pull off a season. Would be very tough for players to go through many months of that away from their loved ones. A couple months ago I thought there was very little chance the NHL could pull off this tournament without it having to shut down at some point. Once they announced the two hub cities would be in Canada I felt that they at least had a reasonable chance of pulling it off, given that the US is a gong show at this point in dealing with the virus. This virus is so doggone contagious, as seen in a couple other sports and society at large, that I don't see how any sport can pull off a season this coming fall/winter without a bubble plan similar to the one in the NBA and NHL.
Plus who knows how many may contract it after the playoffs end and they go back to family and friends.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's award the Stanley Cup first. :D

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Looks like maintenance day for Bergy

I still say when teams managed to shut down the Bergeron line we have very little to back it up. I would much rather see the following
Marchand Bergeron Bjork
Ritchie Krejci Pasternak
Debrusk Coyle Kase/Studnica
Nordstrom Kurally Wagner

With this lineup, who do you put your shutdown line against?

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Who's coming out with Ritchie going in? I'd hope Kuhlman, but who knows.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Really hoping Kase can get some action in Sunday. One of the plusses for being in the round robin is how spread out these games are.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
I think Bergy having a rest day already, especially with the first line and team in general not firing on all cylinders, is mildly concerning. Hopefully he's alright.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I think Bergy having a rest day already, especially with the first line and team in general not firing on all cylinders, is mildly concerning. Hopefully he's alright.
On one hand, this is his first day off from practice and he's been skating since around mid June.

On the other hand, he has a chronic groin injury problem and the horrible ice probably doesn't help, so I could see an injury developing that way. Hopefully the maintenance day will help. Bergy may be getting older but he's still a significant piece of the puzzle.

Reactions: BMC

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
At this point the bigger question may become "how are they going to pull off next season as early as December without bubbles?"

Still way too early to know where things end up, but there have been discussions for multiple different scenarios like there was for the RTP. If things remain status quo, two possibilities:

- 4 Hubs, all in Canada: Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal - shortened season all divisional games

- 4 Hubs, again in Canada: Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa (although I am not sure the latter works). All conference games - 7 versus own division, 4 versus the other division within conference = 81 games. The west would have to make up some games because of the 15 teams.

Reactions: talkinaway

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Still way too early to know where things end up, but there have been discussions for multiple different scenarios like there was for the RTP. If things remain status quo, two possibilities:

- 4 Hubs, all in Canada: Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Montreal - shortened season all divisional games

- 4 Hubs, again in Canada: Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa (although I am not sure the latter works). All conference games - 7 versus own division, 4 versus the other division within conference = 81 games. The west would have to make up some games because of the 15 teams.

Would be wonderful to not waste games against the likes of Arizona and Minnesota.

Reactions: BMC

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Weren't Anaheim fans saying Ritchie and Kase had some chemistry together on the ducks? If so I think it might be smart to keep them on the same line and let them develop chemistry with Krejci/Coyle.

And in a few days, the risk will decrease as more teams get sent home. After this round there's what, 400+ people leaving the two hubs? 52 per team, right?

Reactions: Strafer

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Run a skilled 4th line. Enough with the dump and chase bruisers. Kuhlman should be a lineup lock.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

And yet the Bruins (and many other teams, I'm sure) are still behaving as if 2020-21 will happen with 100% fan attendance - or at least they're charging credit cards as if it will.

That plan seems feasable, but it's still asking a lot of players and staff. I compare the playoffs to going away to college - 2 months in an unfamiliar environment, and then you come home. The difference is that with the playoffs, there's a substantial reward that's close. Frankly, how do you convince the Senators to give up 3
months with little hope of winning the cup? And even if a team makes the playoffs, that's another 6-8 weeks - although logic would say that they do the abbreviated season from January to early April, take 2-3 weeks off, and then re-bubble for playoffs in May.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Kinda strange to me that they would put Bjork on the LW and Debrusk on the RW. Wonder if this could mean Debrusk sits on Wednesday and they give Seny a chance on the 3rd line.

He did look pretty bad, for everyone wanting Kuhlman and Bjork out of the lineup I don't think Debrusk was any better.

DeBrusk was almost invisible against the Flyers. 15 mins TOI and his sole contribution was 2 weak shots. No hits, no takeaways, no notable plays. He was just there. Best you can say is he did nothing stupid, and very few did much better so he was hardly alone in being poor.

I prefer Jake with Coyle, but I like Bjork skating with Charlie too. So I'd roll those three together but it should be Anders that goes to RW while DeBrusk takes the left. Krejci and DeBrusk have been together for a long time now and while that combo has had its moments, it's never really worked as well as you would like, even allowing for the fact that they've never had a really good RW to work with. Perhaps this is the time to end that experiment and go all-in on the Coyle-DeBrusk duo they teased late in the regular season. It's certainly not ideal to still be changing up the lines so much at this stage, but unless they increase their secondary scoring threat the Bs will be going home early, so they have no choice.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Marchand Bergeron Studnicka
Bjork Coyle Pastrnak
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Nords Kuraly Lindholm

It's time Krejci be dropped.

Lindholm played well final 2 months deserves a look.

Reactions: HustleB

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Ritchie simply isn't good enough to play

When we play big physical teams like the Caps and TB I want Ritchie in the lineup, this team desperately needs his size and physicality. He can help us if given decent linemates. If matched up against teams like the Leafs and Habs, his particular skill set is not required.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

Was thinking that too. A rest day after two games? I know they've been skating and practicing, but no one needs a maintenance day after practicing unless they're nursing an injury or trying to nip one in the bud - like a nagging groin.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Was thinking that too. A rest day after two games? I know they've been skating and practicing, but no one needs a maintenance day after practicing unless they're nursing an injury or trying to nip one in the bud - like a nagging groin.

One question I have that maybe someone here knows - could a "rest day" really just be an "on-ice rest day", meaning that the player is working out in the gym? Perhaps Bergeron is taking a "day off" to work on strength or flexibility off the ice. I know 90% of the focus of reporting is the on-ice workouts; I imagine that the reporters might not even have access to the other fitness facilities to watch the players do ordinary workouts - both because it's not as interesting, and also because it doesn't tend to generate newsworthy tidbits like lines.

Yeah, I know Bergeron could be doing BOTH on- and off-ice workouts, but it's possible his ratio just needed a little adjustment.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Bjork Coyle Pastrnak
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Nords Kuraly Lindholm

Did you watch Tampa bay vs Washington today. Dressing your softest possible line up probably isn't the way to go. If you are not going to contribute offensively (Lindholm, Nordstrom) at least hit and have some size (Ritchie, Frederic, Wagner). Bjork barely makes it for me, at least he works hard. DeBrusk needs to do something.
Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
Ritchie-Krejci-Kase
DeBrusk-Coyle-Pastrnak
Frederic/Bjork--Kuraly-Wagner.

Playing time gets distributed by how well you are playing. I don't care about perfection lines or veterans getting more ice time or higher cap hits getting more time. You are producing and working or you aren't playing

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Bjork Coyle Pastrnak
Debrusk Krejci Kase
Nords Kuraly Lindholm

This actually looks real good. And when Ritchie is ready to play he could replace Lindholm. I hope Kase does well and Coyle+Bjork wakes Pasta up.

Sad that this lineup will not happen, but I like it alot.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I don't know why some people are upset with how they have played ... these games are meaningless much like NFL preseason games. Just get through them with out getting hurt. Give the kids some experience they wouldn't get otherwise; use the time to find out who is ready in case they are needed later due to injuries (unfit to play) or just needing a change. Use this time to get everyone up to game speed. Try a few different line combinations. Play a somewhat bland, straight up and down game and don't tip your hand to the opposition ... appear somewhat disorganized and easy to play against. When the games matter play their real game and catch their opponents flatfooted ... at least in the first few games of the first round.
I think we just need to trust the coaching staff that they have a plan in place. With what they (coaching) have accomplished the last two years we should at least give them that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad