2020 Playoffs - Potential 24 team tournament - can Habs make a run? Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I forgot everything with this freaking pandemia. Did we suck this season ?

More seriously, I know they really did not deserve to make the playoffs but I will still watch and won't be unhappy if they win.

Gotta wonder if playoffs games in empty arenas are much fun to watch though.
Habs were on fire all season, to the point where the league had to beg them to start throwing games. Because our team is so benevolent and charitable we took it too far, which is why we ended up slipping so low in the standings.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Barring that, those who are completely disgusted by the way the NHL has chosen to restart, can also massively social distance. Hockey in July and August, lol. Leave it to the NHL to come up with such absurdities.
Its insane to me that they don't simply just end the season right now and prepare for the draft and UFA season. Desperate for a buck I guess

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I was just seeing at what point Sterling Archer would say no to that package. I’m not proposing that deal. Eichel is far superior now than Seguin was when he got traded. Agreed on Thornton and Lindros. I don’t see a deal that would bring Eichel here btw. If Buffalo were to trade him I can’t see them dealing with a team in their own division.

That is a concern that many fans take seriously, but it doesn't actually make sense for a GM to think that way.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
That is a concern that many fans take seriously, but it doesn't actually make sense for a GM to think that way.

If it was for a player with 1 or 2 years of term I would agree. But for a top player in their prime with 6 years left on his contract I’m not sure they would trade him within their division. Especially with the playoff format where you have to go through your division to make it to the conference finals.

But maybe your right and they just take the best package.

Anyways I don’t think they trade him.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don't think Holtz has access to the top 5, he doesn't have franchise potential like Lafreniere, Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale and Perfetti.

The highest Holtz is picked is #6.
I doubt anyone serious has that opinion of Rossi either.
Quinn, I could see a small number of teams being seduced as he's a shooter (if they already have young centers...)

I can't see Drysdale going higher than #3, but that's just because of the teams with the great odds of picking top 3. If a team from 8 to 15, gets a top 3, we'll see a lot of surprises - particularly if there is a team that was in the playoff picture that lost in the play-in.
Example: if Pittsburgh enters the lottery and wins #2, I can see them going for Drysdale easily.

1st pick:

Ottawa 25%
Detroit 18.5%
Kings 9.5%
Ducks 8.5%
Devils 7.5%
Sabres 6.5%

+
8. Team An/a6.0%
9. Team Bn/a5.0%
10. Team Cn/a3.5%
11. Team Dn/a3.0%
12. Team En/a2.5%
13. Team Fn/a2.0%
14. Team Gn/a1.5%
15. Team Hn/a1.0%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Team A wins the lottery, we'll have a big incentive to play our 4th goalie.... ;)

If team A wins the lottery it doesn’t mean team A gets that pick. There would be a phase 2 lottery for that pick with the teams eliminated from the qualifying round having equal chances to get it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think Holtz has access to the top 5, he doesn't have franchise potential like Lafreniere, Stutzle, Raymond, Drysdale and Perfetti.

The highest Holtz is picked is #6.
I doubt anyone serious has that opinion of Rossi either.
Quinn, I could see a small number of teams being seduced as he's a shooter (if they already have young centers...)

I can't see Drysdale going higher than #3, but that's just because of the teams with the great odds of picking top 3. If a team from 8 to 15, gets a top 3, we'll see a lot of surprises - particularly if there is a team that was in the playoff picture that lost in the play-in.
Example: if Pittsburgh enters the lottery and wins #2, I can see them going for Drysdale easily.

1st pick:

Ottawa 25%
Detroit 18.5%
Kings 9.5%
Ducks 8.5%
Devils 7.5%
Sabres 6.5%

+
8. Team An/a6.0%
9. Team Bn/a5.0%
10. Team Cn/a3.5%
11. Team Dn/a3.0%
12. Team En/a2.5%
13. Team Fn/a2.0%
14. Team Gn/a1.5%
15. Team Hn/a1.0%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
If Team A wins the lottery, we'll have a big incentive to play our 4th goalie... ;)

So the A-H teams have odds but only phase 1? In Phase 2, teams 8-15 all have the same odds?

Don't need to play the 4th goalie... Play the 2nd.. Lindgren and that's good enough lol.

Reactions: Locks

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, so the place-holders are just there so the odds are calculated normally since there's 3 draws.

Then, for some unknown reason, the NHL made phase 2 have equal odds.

That's weird isn't? So if team A (Which is the Habs) wins with the 6% chance, team A looses the right and gets in a group with the 8 where they all have the same odds? Might as well say teams 8-15 have a 24.5% chance. A 1/8 chance at the 24.5% chance lol.

I'll be pissed off if the Leafs get a better pick than us

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yeah, so the place-holders are just there so the odds are calculated normally since there's 3 draws.

Then, for some unknown reason, the NHL made phase 2 have equal odds.

It's not unknown, this is to give a small cost to being included in the play-in and to account for the small uncertainty that comes with not playing the last 10-12 games of the season.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
That's weird isn't? So if team A (Which is the Habs) wins with the 6% chance, team A looses the right and gets in a group with the 8 where they all have the same odds? Might as well say teams 8-15 have a 24.5% chance.

I'll be pissed off if the Leafs get a better pick than us

Habs will be team A only if they lose the play in.

Oh I was re-reading the rule and that's not in phase 2 is to prevent that very thing to happen, for someone to tank the play-in.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs will be team A only if they lose the play in. But if the lottery is done before, this could change how we see the play-in a lot.

It should be weighted odds IMO. No way the Leafs should have a equal shot at a better pick than us.. if both teams looses. I'm fine with 16 if we win. But if we lose, we should have the best odds in phase 2 if 8-15 wins a lottery spot.

If one of the teams from 8-15 win #1OA, NHL is going to have a mess on their hands. If that happens, I will never ever again think the lottery is rigged :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why is the NHL so horny to have the draft lottery held before the play in round? I think they are complicating something that can be simple

Reactions: Gains

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I would like to be a joke like the Sabres, at least they have some elite talent on to ice, their fans can watch Eichel and Dahlin.
Yet they are still a bottom 10 team after like a decade. Goes to show you what an embarrassment and joke of a sports team they are.

-I wouldn't want to be bottom 10 for a decade and have 2 players to show for it after they were given to me.
-I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that abomination of a contract that Skinner has.
-I wouldn't want to give a #1 C for a late 1st and cap dumps.
-I wouldn't want to be a place that is considered toxic and have my players lose passion for hockey.
-I wouldn't want to be the team that got embarrassed after not being able to trade Scandella and then another team is able to flip him for considerably more value.

The vast majority of Sabres fans would switch situations with us in a second and strongly disagree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad