2020 OHL draft

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Not to take credit from Quinte, but Votary is top notch, and HoneyBaked showed they can change gears vs Compuware.
Would have liked to see the 04s playing U16 Compuware with this team. A player like Gauthier could have been the difference maker.

Compuware sent the eligible 03s playing U16 to the U15 team last year and it made the world of difference vs Don Mills.

I hear you. Was hoping Cutter would be there.

James1

Mar 28, 2019
I may have missed someone but here is my mid-way point GTHL top 20 players at this time:

Ludwinski
Nelson
Fimis
Delic
George
Lavoie
VanVliet
Castle
Moldenhauer
Sirman
Buchinger
Leonard
DeAngelis
Seguin
Bonauito
Johanovic
Hinkley
Morden
Cooke
Best

Reactions: Garyboy

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019
I may have missed someone but here is my mid-way point GTHL top 20 players at this time:

Ludwinski
Nelson
Fimis
Delic
George
Lavoie
VanVliet
Castle
Moldenhauer
Sirman
Buchinger
Leonard
DeAngelis
Seguin
Bonauito
Johanovic
Hinkley
Morden
Cooke
Best

I like that you included Best from JrC on there. Big bodied good skating defenseman. He’s shown some flashes of high speed and handling but not a constant showing. Still, It was more than enough to develop intrigue on his potential.

Reactions: James1

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
I made a fantasy first round draft for the upcoming OHL draft in April. I put the teams as if the regular season ended Friday night. I see a lot of top 100 lists but I drafted based on what I thought teams needed to add for next season.

1- North Bay
Adam Fantilli is a top prospect that can shoot the puck and make plays offensively. He can play center and the wing and can play a very physical game. North Bay needs to build around a skilled kid so the decision is easy If Adam doesn't pass on them to keep his NCAA eligibility. Adam played Minor Midget at 14 and helped his team reach the final at the OHL cup.

2- Kingston
Isaiah George is the Dman Kingston needs to get as their first rounder. He is a very good two-way defenseman that will help Kingston play a tighter game while helping out offensively. His poise with the puck and smooth skating are his best assets.

3- Niagara
David Goyette is the best 200 foot center of this draft. David's game is highly skilled with speed and high hockey sense. He is a threat at 5 on 5, PP and PK. He produces everywhere he goes. He had 9 points in 10 games in U18 as a 14 Yo last year and is first in all USA Midget with 138 points this year.

4- Sarnia
Dalyn Wakely will hear his name very early in the draft. Big body hard shot Sarnia will be very happy to get him. he's part of an amazing team and he can excel on the PP and the PK as well. Dalyn played 1 JrA game this year and aside from 1 big hit he took he played a good game with 1 helper. He cumulated 2 PPG this year. 72 points total before playoffs.

5- Hamilton
Alec Leonard is a crafty Dman who possesses all the tools to be on the top 4 next year. Good release good vision and physical at times.

6- Barrie
Pano Fimis is a hard working player with a good shot, good speed and has a good offensive mindset. He is the captain of JRC, a very good leader on the ice especially since Fantilli left the team.

7- Mississauga
Zak Lavoie is the goal scorer of this draft. His shot is OHL ready and his confidence is very high especially in big games.

8- Soo
Paul Ludwinski is a very good 200 foot center with a good first three steps to separate himself from his opposition. He can make plays and is excellent on the PK.

9- Erie
Donovan McCoy is a solid Dman with a good offensive skillset. He has a good hockey sense and has a very precise shot. Donovan also played two JrA game I saw the first one where he played with Dalyn and he looked very good.

10- Guelph
Cedrick Guindon can either play center or the wing. He is highly skilled and is a threat with the puck. He can snipe it or make a play for his teammates. Cedrick played 3 JrA games but did not record any points.

11- Owen Sound
Matthew Jovanovic is always good on the backhand. He is a smooth skater and hardly makes bad decisions with the puck. He will adjust quickly to the next level.

12- Oshawa
Carson Christy big hometown boy with Oshawa trying to go all the way next year he would be a great addition for them. Physicality and good hard shot are the key components of his game.

13- Windsor
Bryce McConnell-Barker is a playmaker with very good speed for a man of his stature. He can shoot the puck and pass it in tight areas. Bryce played 3 games in JrA and recorded 1 point.

14- Flint
Ty Nelson is a highly skilled Dman that can quarterback a PP like nobody else. Small kid but plays with a big heart. He likes taking risks but his all around game is still pretty tight.

15- Peterborough
Hunter Haight is a good all around player who does everything well on the ice. He is reliable defensively and can be a threat when attacking. Hunter played 4 JrA games and had 1 goal 1 assist.

16- Kitchener
Aidan Castle is a very fast skater who is not afraid to go in the corners. He is a key player for JRC who can score and make plays.

17- Sudbury
Kocha Delic is an intense player when his game is on. He can play the PK very well and has a decent shot. His speed is very good.

18- Saginaw
Nicholas Moldenhauer is a good size power forward with a powerful release and high scoring abilities.

19- London
London will convince Cutter Gauthier to come play for them next year. Big smart uncommitted player with a good release and good hockey sense.

20- Ottawa
Benjamin Bujold will be surprised to hear his name in the first round but deserves to be there. Good 200 foot player who can make it all happen on the ice. Defense first center who likes to make plays. Ottawa can certainly help him reach the next level and they love to pick local players.

All For Youth Hockey

Nov 24, 2019
Just one thing. You do realize that the order of the Top 4, is created with the 2 worst in east, then 2 worst of west by points points. Then, from 5 it is based on points

Current order is

1-North Bay
2-Kingston
3-Sarnia
4-SOO
5-Niagara
6-....

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I made a fantasy first round draft for the upcoming OHL draft in April. I put the teams as if the regular season ended Friday night. I see a lot of top 100 lists but I drafted based on what I thought teams needed to add for next season.

1- North Bay
Adam Fantilli is a top prospect that can shoot the puck and make plays offensively. He can play center and the wing and can play a very physical game. North Bay needs to build around a skilled kid so the decision is easy If Adam doesn't pass on them to keep his NCAA eligibility. Adam played Minor Midget at 14 and helped his team reach the final at the OHL cup.

2- Kingston
Isaiah George is the Dman Kingston needs to get as their first rounder. He is a very good two-way defenseman that will help Kingston play a tighter game while helping out offensively. His poise with the puck and smooth skating are his best assets.

3- Niagara
David Goyette is the best 200 foot center of this draft. David's game is highly skilled with speed and high hockey sense. He is a threat at 5 on 5, PP and PK. He produces everywhere he goes. He had 9 points in 10 games in U18 as a 14 Yo last year and is first in all USA Midget with 138 points this year.

4- Sarnia
Dalyn Wakely will hear his name very early in the draft. Big body hard shot Sarnia will be very happy to get him. he's part of an amazing team and he can excel on the PP and the PK as well. Dalyn played 1 JrA game this year and aside from 1 big hit he took he played a good game with 1 helper. He cumulated 2 PPG this year. 72 points total before playoffs.

5- Hamilton
Alec Leonard is a crafty Dman who possesses all the tools to be on the top 4 next year. Good release good vision and physical at times.

6- Barrie
Pano Fimis is a hard working player with a good shot, good speed and has a good offensive mindset. He is the captain of JRC, a very good leader on the ice especially since Fantilli left the team.

7- Mississauga
Zak Lavoie is the goal scorer of this draft. His shot is OHL ready and his confidence is very high especially in big games.

8- Soo
Paul Ludwinski is a very good 200 foot center with a good first three steps to separate himself from his opposition. He can make plays and is excellent on the PK.

9- Erie
Donovan McCoy is a solid Dman with a good offensive skillset. He has a good hockey sense and has a very precise shot. Donovan also played two JrA game I saw the first one where he played with Dalyn and he looked very good.

10- Guelph
Cedrick Guindon can either play center or the wing. He is highly skilled and is a threat with the puck. He can snipe it or make a play for his teammates. Cedrick played 3 JrA games but did not record any points.

11- Owen Sound
Matthew Jovanovic is always good on the backhand. He is a smooth skater and hardly makes bad decisions with the puck. He will adjust quickly to the next level.

12- Oshawa
Carson Christy big hometown boy with Oshawa trying to go all the way next year he would be a great addition for them. Physicality and good hard shot are the key components of his game.

13- Windsor
Bryce McConnell-Barker is a playmaker with very good speed for a man of his stature. He can shoot the puck and pass it in tight areas. Bryce played 3 games in JrA and recorded 1 point.

14- Flint
Ty Nelson is a highly skilled Dman that can quarterback a PP like nobody else. Small kid but plays with a big heart. He likes taking risks but his all around game is still pretty tight.

15- Peterborough
Hunter Haight is a good all around player who does everything well on the ice. He is reliable defensively and can be a threat when attacking. Hunter played 4 JrA games and had 1 goal 1 assist.

16- Kitchener
Aidan Castle is a very fast skater who is not afraid to go in the corners. He is a key player for JRC who can score and make plays.

17- Sudbury
Kocha Delic is an intense player when his game is on. He can play the PK very well and has a decent shot. His speed is very good.

18- Saginaw
Nicholas Moldenhauer is a good size power forward with a powerful release and high scoring abilities.

19- London
London will convince Cutter Gauthier to come play for them next year. Big smart uncommitted player with a good release and good hockey sense.

20- Ottawa
Benjamin Bujold will be surprised to hear his name in the first round but deserves to be there. Good 200 foot player who can make it all happen on the ice. Defense first center who likes to make plays. Ottawa can certainly help him reach the next level and they love to pick local players.
Sudbury is not in the 17th spot. More likely to pick from 7-12.

WJ

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
I took the overall standings Saturday morning for the fun of it. I know everything will change I thought it would make it interesting.

Reactions: BarberPole9

AnonymousHockey

Mar 20, 2019

1- North Bay

2- Kingston

3- Niagara

4- Sarnia

5- Hamilton

6- Barrie

7- Mississauga

8- Soo

9- Erie

10- Guelph

11- Owen Sound

12- Oshawa

13- Windsor

14- Flint

15- Peterborough

16- Kitchener

17- Sudbury

18- Saginaw

19- London

20- Ottawa

I know this is always a matter of opinion, but I gotta say, If George is first defense going, Nelson is second. No way does someone take a Leonard over a Nelson.

first he’s not much bigger, and Nelson is proving to be the ultimate puck moving defenseman. His stretch pass is nearly perfect every time, his vision from the back end is top tier. Not just a powerplay QB. He also played minor midget last year and albeit the team wasn’t very strong, the coach still attempted to revolve a game plan around Nelson and his ability to move the puck up the ice. His size is the only thing holding him back. That, and the team he played on last year is potentially the only reason he wouldn’t have considered exceptional status. Yeah... I said exceptional when describing Nelson.

also, Hunter Haight likely won’t go first round unless Brady Stonehouse does as well.

Historically, London takes the player they convince to come to O, in the second or third rounds. Maximize profits then.

Reactions: buzzer beater

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Very surprised Ajax-Pickering swept York-Simcoe 6 points to 0 in the ETA 2nd round last night

2nd round update:
1 Quinte and 8 Barrie: tied 2 points each
2 Whitby up 3-1 on 7 Kingston
6 Ajax-Pickering swept 3 York-Simcoe 6-0
4 Oshawa up 4-0 on 12 Central

Wing the wong number

Jul 6, 2019

1- North Bay

2- Kingston

3- Niagara

4- Sarnia

5- Hamilton

6- Barrie

7- Mississauga

8- Soo

9- Erie

10- Guelph

11- Owen Sound

12- Oshawa

13- Windsor

14- Flint

15- Peterborough

16- Kitchener

17- Sudbury

18- Saginaw

19- London

20- Ottawa

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Is the upcoming draft considered to be a deep draft? I haven't scrolled through to see if that question has been addressed. Thx

Deep in the sense that a lot of guys are pretty similar. But this is one of the worst years for Canadian "locks" I'd say. Usually theres like 10-15 GTHL/ETA guys you'd bet would be studs in the OHL (whether end up being or not, who knows) but this year I couldn't say more than like 3-5 with somewhat certainty

A lot of the best players in this draft are American and have NCAA ties

Reactions: nelli27

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Bit of a strange year. I think the best guy playing in Ontario(So the non Fantilli set) is Guindon who plays in a league most people don't get to see. Also feels a little thin on high end GTHL players. Just my opinion though. ETA/SCTA/Alliance look solid.

I think the few high end Ontario forwards are right there with the Americans but that might be an unpopular opinion.

Morehockey62

Feb 26, 2020
I think people have to start recognizing, if they haven't already, that Ontario hockey has been declining for some time compared to the US. There are way too many teams in every league without nearly enough AAA level players to fill them and not enough quality coaching and development to go around. It's changing demographics plus concussions and of course the outrageously high costs to play. There are way less kids playing hockey than 20-30 years ago, but the same number of 'AAA' teams?

As you say, even the GTHL 'superteams' this year aren't anything to write home about, and they are supposed to have every advantage. They aren't competitive against the top US teams, and that trend will continue until there are major changes.

Ontario needs to either greatly consolidate the number of AAA teams (by at least half) or add a new AAAA or Super AAA league (Dads will love that) so the truly elite players can compete and play with players of similar abilities day in and day out, and get access to high quality development and training resources. That's the future of developing players that can compete with the best from around the world.

4-5 teams from the GTA, 4-5 Teams from SCTA/Alliance, 4-5 Teams from ETA, etc.

Then you would see some amazing hockey and we would be handing it to the best US travel teams.

A midget super league would probably be a better place for most top 16/17 year olds to develop versus playing limited minutes in the OHL.

For my money, this seems to be a pretty undersized draft class, even by 'the game is changing' standards and if you are on the small side and not scoring in bunches at the minor midget level on a stacked team, I'm not sure where that puts you in the OHL.

I also can't see multiple defensive defencemen going high in the draft, especially the way that position is trending, but maybe defence is coming back into style.

I think the first three rounds will be the most unpredictable in years and all over the map. Teams are going to have to bet long on upside potential.

Reactions: BarberPole9

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Let's be perfectly honest the OHL draft rankings prior to draft day will juggle around dozen of times.

I have no doubt in my mind that players listed above are top prospects but between now and Saturday April 4th any real predictions of who will be taken 1-20 is like shooting blindly in the dark at this point in the year.

Lots of things change and lists are always changing guys listed now in the top 20 will never stay in that order once picks are taken on the 4th not to also add that guys who are listed will be added and removed for guys who may be predicted to go in the top 100 picks.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I know this is always a matter of opinion, but I gotta say, If George is first defense going, Nelson is second. No way does someone take a Leonard over a Nelson.

first he’s not much bigger, and Nelson is proving to be the ultimate puck moving defenseman. His stretch pass is nearly perfect every time, his vision from the back end is top tier. Not just a powerplay QB. He also played minor midget last year and albeit the team wasn’t very strong, the coach still attempted to revolve a game plan around Nelson and his ability to move the puck up the ice. His size is the only thing holding him back. That, and the team he played on last year is potentially the only reason he wouldn’t have considered exceptional status. Yeah... I said exceptional when describing Nelson.

also, Hunter Haight likely won’t go first round unless Brady Stonehouse does as well.

Historically, London takes the player they convince to come to O, in the second or third rounds. Maximize profits then.
I will say haight will most definately go 1st round as will Dezoete from hamilton both Alliance players, Stonehouse is a possibility. My opinion but i say nelson is 1st dman taken period and george will be lower than people think perhaps morden taken ahead of george as well. We'll seeeeeeeeeeee

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I think people have to start recognizing, if they haven't already, that Ontario hockey has been declining for some time compared to the US. There are way too many teams in every league without nearly enough AAA level players to fill them and not enough quality coaching and development to go around. It's changing demographics plus concussions and of course the outrageously high costs to play. There are way less kids playing hockey than 20-30 years ago, but the same number of 'AAA' teams?

As you say, even the GTHL 'superteams' this year aren't anything to write home about, and they are supposed to have every advantage. They aren't competitive against the top US teams, and that trend will continue until there are major changes.

Ontario needs to either greatly consolidate the number of AAA teams (by at least half) or add a new AAAA or Super AAA league (Dads will love that) so the truly elite players can compete and play with players of similar abilities day in and day out, and get access to high quality development and training resources. That's the future of developing players that can compete with the best from around the world.

4-5 teams from the GTA, 4-5 Teams from SCTA/Alliance, 4-5 Teams from ETA, etc.

Then you would see some amazing hockey and we would be handing it to the best US travel teams.

A midget super league would probably be a better place for most top 16/17 year olds to develop versus playing limited minutes in the OHL.
For my money, this seems to be a pretty undersized draft class, even by 'the game is changing' standards and if you are on the small side and not scoring in bunches at the minor midget level on a stacked team, I'm not sure where that puts you in the OHL.

I also can't see multiple defensive defencemen going high in the draft, especially the way that position is trending, but maybe defence is coming back into style.

I think the first three rounds will be the most unpredictable in years and all over the map. Teams are going to have to bet long on upside potential.
Just cant see the powers to be in each league allowing "their" players to leave and join a "super league" whats in it for them? Although I would like to see 1 U16 team formed for each province similar to the USNDP playing in their home province vs Jr B or A league building towards a world junior team roster when they are 19. This way only the elite players in each province would play for the top U16 team playing in a junior league leaving a decent league of U16's still playing for the OHL draft or other avenues. Just a thought

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020

Ludwinski YES
Nelson YES
Fimis YES
Delic YES
George YES
Lavoie YES
VanVliet NO
Castle YES
Moldenhauer YES
Sirman NO
Buchinger NO
Leonard NO