Cooke YES
Best NO

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
First Rounders from non GTHL and Ottawa areas:

Alliance- Stonehouse, Barker

SCTA- Deozette

ETA- Wakely, McKoy, Poitras, maybe Fegaras

The other 13-14 first rounders will come from US, Ottawa and GTHL.

Fantilli
Guindon
Goyette
Ludwinski
Jovanovic
Moldenhauer
Morden
Delic
Lavoie
Nelson
Fimis
Cooke
Castle

Alot of the above kids are committed to D1 or heading that way, so they may slip to 2nd round.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

SCTA- Deozette

Fantilli
Guindon
Goyette
Ludwinski
Jovanovic
Moldenhauer
Morden
Delic
Lavoie
Nelson
Fimis
Cooke
Castle

Alot of the above kids are committed to D1 or heading that way, so they may slip to 2nd round.

I’d definitely have Carson Christy ahead of Poitras in the ETA.

Also Sam Alfano from the SCTA is a first rounder I bet. DeZoete is Alliance not SCTA

Last edited:

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020

SCTA- Deozette

Fantilli
Guindon
Goyette
Ludwinski
Jovanovic
Moldenhauer
Morden
Delic
Lavoie
Nelson
Fimis
Cooke
Castle

This is a very odd year where you just don’t have the dominant talent in the GTHL compared to prior years.

I hate to be the party pooper, but if you have 3-4 first rounders on a stacked team - shouldn’t you win something at some point?

Not just win, but shouldn’t you absolutely dominate?

The Marlies have been mediocre all year - and wouldn’t even be in the conversation for first round picks without the jersey and history.

You think they’d have three first rounders with their record if they were the Guelph Gryphons? Not a chance.

And picking by jersey hasn’t worked out too well for a lot of OHL teams.

The Titans couldn’t get out of the first round.

JRC can’t beat the 6th place team in the G (apparently who don’t have a single top prospect).

Not one of these teams won a single tournament or came close. The Marlies couldn’t advance in their own tournament where they hand picked their opponents.

And this is where all the first rounders are?

There’s going to be 3-4 defensive defensemen in the first round?

When has that ever happened?

Just my opinion but for first round consideration - especially if you play on a stacked team, there has to be more production or more winning or both.

If you’re that good, you have to find a way to win important games.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
This is a very odd year where you just don’t have the dominant talent in the GTHL compared to prior years.

I hate to be the party pooper, but if you have 3-4 first rounders on a stacked team - shouldn’t you win something at some point?

Not just win, but shouldn’t you absolutely dominate?

The Marlies have been mediocre all year - and wouldn’t even be in the conversation for first round picks without the jersey and history.

You think they’d have three first rounders with their record if they were the Guelph Gryphons? Not a chance.

And picking by jersey hasn’t worked out too well for a lot of OHL teams.

The Titans couldn’t get out of the first round.

JRC can’t beat the 6th place team in the G (apparently who don’t have a single top prospect).

Not one of these teams won a single tournament or came close. The Marlies couldn’t advance in their own tournament where they hand picked their opponents.

And this is where all the first rounders are?

There’s going to be 3-4 defensive defensemen in the first round?

When has that ever happened?

Just my opinion but for first round consideration - especially if you play on a stacked team, there has to be more production or more winning or both.

If you’re that good, you have to find a way to win important games.

Disagree that 2 elite players on a team means you should win, especially at minor midget. Goaltending is so big and the marlies goalies weren’t good in any games I saw them this year. Using it against Ludwinski that his support cast of forwards aren’t very good doesn’t seem to make sense to me.

Ludwinski and George both play very well and they lose 4-3 but somehow that means Ludwinski or George aren’t as good because the other team had a lot more depth? Also consider how much attention and double teams a guy like Ludwinski would be getting when you know you can afford to sag off his linemates

Perfect example is OHL Hamilton. Kaliyev-Jenik pre-WJ and now Kaliyev-Mysak post-WJ are both unreal duos, but the team stinks because they have no depth and below average goaltending

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Yeah but the poster didn’t just say they had two elite players. That would describe most other teams in Ontario.

He said they have three first round picks - that’s very different.

And to suggest it’s because of a lack of supporting cast is a little hard to understand. Can’t the Marlies more than any other team get whatever players they want to fill out their roster?

So there’s no support? It’s the goalie’s fault?

Didn’t they have amongst the best GAA in the GTHL?

I could buy this argument if it was a regular community team with a couple elite players - you can only do so much, but that isn’t the Marlies.

The Marlies just don’t produce much offence and at minor midget - three first round guys have to find a way to get it into the net.

Maybe they will in the OHL Cup.

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Rather than repeat the same names that everyone knows already - who are some of the hidden or underrated gems in the draft that could be great bets in the long run?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Poitras ahead of Christy for me, Leblanc is a first rounder out of the SCTA.

Are you at the OMHAs? That Oshawa/Whitby game is a really good example of why Poitras isn’t a first rounder for me

Does nothing in the first period, has a great 2nd period with 1G/2A in like 5 minutes. Does nothing in the 3rd period and takes 3 silly penalties, Oshawa scores on 2 and win the game.

He takes too many shifts off for me to have him in the first round. If he was more consistent then I could see it for sure

Hetteriachchi looked really good. He and Carson Christy both had hattricks. And another Nathan Poole game where he does everything. 1G/3A and 19/30 on draws, seemingly playing the entire game

James1

Mar 28, 2019
Ludwinski YES
Nelson YES
Fimis YES
Delic YES
George YES
Lavoie YES
VanVliet NO
Castle YES
Moldenhauer YES
Sirman NO
Buchinger NO
Leonard NO
DeAngelis NO
Seguin NO
Bonauito NO
Johanovic YES
Hinkley NO
Morden YES
Cooke YES
Best NO
Are you saying that 9 of these players aren't in the top 20 from the GTHL? Would love to hear who you're filling in the other 9 spots with...

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020
Are you saying that 9 of these players aren't in the top 20 from the GTHL? Would love to hear who you're filling in the other 9 spots with...

I guess we will find out soon enough, but I can’t vote for guys who aren’t winning important games or putting up big numbers playing for what are supposed to be stacked teams.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
well the entire 1st round wont just be gthl. ill add some players elsewhere to fill the NO's ...mcconnell barker london, haight elgin, stonehouse elgin, dezoete hamilton, alfano s tier, leblanc s tier thats 6 anyways 1 st rounders

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017

SCTA- Deozette

Fantilli
Guindon
Goyette
Ludwinski
Jovanovic
Moldenhauer
Morden
Delic
Lavoie
Nelson
Fimis
Cooke
Castle

Assuming you forgot Haight from Elgin he'll definately be a 1st rounder as well as Leblanc (fwd) and Alfano S Tier imo anyways

James1

Mar 28, 2019
well the entire 1st round wont just be gthl. ill add some players elsewhere to fill the NO's ...mcconnell barker london, haight elgin, stonehouse elgin, dezoete hamilton, alfano s tier, leblanc s tier thats 6 anyways 1 st rounders
Ah ok so it's more of an issue of your reading comprehension than my assessment. I stated "these are my top 20 guys from the GTHL" didn't say "this is my first round"

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Are you at the OMHAs? That Oshawa/Whitby game is a really good example of why Poitras isn’t a first rounder for me

Does nothing in the first period, has a great 2nd period with 1G/2A in like 5 minutes. Does nothing in the 3rd period and takes 3 silly penalties, Oshawa scores on 2 and win the game.

He takes too many shifts off for me to have him in the first round. If he was more consistent then I could see it for sure

Hetteriachchi looked really good. He and Carson Christy both had hattricks. And another Nathan Poole game where he does everything. 1G/3A and 19/30 on draws, seemingly playing the entire game

Not always about points.

But Christy and Poitras do put up points. However, at the next level they will not be playing against bad players. Poole, is a thick kid that wont be able to be productive at next level and those guys are a dime a dozen.

nopuckluck74

Mar 6, 2020

For my money - DeAngelis from the Sens is clearly a level above George or Morden, Johanovich etc. and doesn’t have the very real advantage of playing on a stacked team. I’d also probably take Ramsey over any D on your list excluding Nelson.

Some of those Vaughan Kings Dmen must be doing something right to take out all these top teams. Can’t all just be coaching and goaltending.

Friendly Fan

Mar 27, 2009
Titans, Nats and JRC have done nothing against #6 Kings, because Vaughan coach can coach. You can tell the quality of a player during the tough games and not during the 5-1 blowouts. Jrc dmen are all overrated. Nelson is top 10 draft pick but not sold on him moving forward. There are 2 Vaughan dmen that are outplaying the other 4 JRC dmen. JMO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad