Speculation: 2020 Offseason Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
The only value in Kesler's contract is for Kesler himself. His $6,875,000 cap hit could never be used to exceed the salary cap, as suggested by posters above me. Think of LTIR as a net-neutral means of allowing a team to spend only the amount of money that would've been otherwise tied up in the injured player's contract.

Reactions: Kalv and AngelDuck

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Theres also rumors of Kesler planning a grand return to action at the age of 36, which should just about put the kibosh on him being moved

The ducks are riding that one out until the end.
It would sting more if we were trying to be contenders the next 2 years

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Theres also rumors of Kesler planning a grand return to action at the age of 36, which should just about put the kibosh on him being moved

The ducks are riding that one out until the end.
It would sting more if we were trying to be contenders the next 2 years
There’s a better chance at Selanne coming back then there is Kesler coming back. No clue where those rumors come from but Kes will be lucky to live a long and normal life at this point.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There’s a better chance at Selanne coming back then there is Kesler coming back. No clue where those rumors come from but Kes will be lucky to live a long and normal life at this point.
I agree (although he’s not in jeopardy of dying so not sure why youre throwing in the “long life” thing) but the article i read sounded serious. And if he wants to play and the doctors okay it...it is what it is. He’ll either limp through another season or the ducks will have to stash him in the press box

Bottom line is no one is taking him and hes our problem for the next 2 seasons

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
As has been stated previously, next season is the year to tank. Consider the following:
1) The team is trending downwards with no reason to think otherwise. The Ducks finished as the fifth worst team and will likely finish just as poorly again next season.
2) Anaheim is a gate-sensitive team and reluctant to openly commit to being uncompetitive. Ticket sales will be less important next season though with covid still lingering.
3) In addition to fans not being allowed in the rinks, next season will likely be shortened. Bettman and Daly can double down on their commitment to an 82-game season but it's becoming increasingly likely next season will not start until 2021. Factor in the Olympics possibly starting in late July, and there you have the window for a possible NHL season.. January-July. The pain of tanking is minimized in a shortened season.
4) The 2021 NHL draft looks about as deep as the 2020 draft.
5) Early indications suggest Arizona will be just as inept as Anaheim. They forfeited their 2021 first round pick though, so it'll be one less team to compete with in the lottery.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
This “we need to tank” shit is getting old. For those thinking that, define tank; trade every veteran we have?

edit: to elaborate: I see a team clearly in transition who will have multiple young players in important roles next season. It also has some solid veterans to somewhat shield the youngsters so we don’t go full Edmonton and f*** up their development. The exception would be that stupid ass decision to try and trade for Faulk.

we were a bottom 5 team in the league last year because we were doing something similar. Is that not tanking enough for some of you? If not, then you should be pretty adamant about Gibson needing to be traded now, not later. He was subpar last year. Even if another vet is moved, a better season from him likely makes our standings finish better, not worse.

Last edited:

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
This “we need to tank” shit is getting old. For those thinking that, define tank; trade every veteran we have?
Realistically we will not be competitive next year. If we become sellers at the trade deadline, I guess there would be a good shot we end up at the same position we were this year or worst. I would not necessarily want the team to lose games on purpose. I would make trades to add draft picks or up and coming prospects. The only way this team would purposely tank games is if management decides to play Gibson less. Our players have too much pride to tank games.

darkwingduck

Nov 7, 2014
Mission Viejo, CA
Judging from the team's composition, I don't expect them to be competitive next year.

As I've said before, this expansion draft has been a nasty cloud over this team's head. They're unable to acquire additional quality defensemen. They can try to upgrade, but that might be a difficult task.

Until they can, this team's defense won't improve and thusly the team's chances won't improve considerably. So I would look to the summer of '21 to see noticeable improvements. They can utilize their future capspace against a flat cap (albeit, some teams might get helped depending on Seattle's selections).

Anaheim's current protected forwards are a bit subpar. It's how I felt when Antoine Vermette was on the protected list. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing a forward upgrade or two this next year.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

edit: to elaborate: I see a team clearly in transition who will have multiple young players in important roles next season. It also has some solid veterans to somewhat shield the youngsters so we don’t go full Edmonton and f*** up their development. The exception would be that stupid ass decision to try and trade for Faulk.

we were a bottom 5 team in the league last year because we were doing something similar. Is that not tanking enough for some of you? If not, then you should be pretty adamant about Gibson needing to be traded now, not later. He was subpar last year. Even if another vet is moved, a better season from him likely makes our standings finish better, still.

As it stands they're going to "tank" naturally. What people like myself don't want is for Bob to make marginal upgrades that some people are advocating for that would do nothing but move the lever towards mediocrity. Or making a lateral move like Rakell for Domi. The objective should not be to make tangible upgrades to the roster until you actually know what you have in your young players and know what you need around them. BTW I'm not saying not to go get a 4C. I'm saying don't trade Rakell and Manson for Nylander. Or Zegras++ for Laine. If you get great offers for Rakell or Manson you take them, but you hang on to Gibson/Lindholm/Fowler/Silf.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
we were a bottom 5 team in the league last year because we were doing something similar. Is that not tanking enough for some of you? If not, then you should be pretty adamant about Gibson needing to be traded now, not later. He was subpar last year. Even if another vet is moved, a better season from him likely makes our standings finish better, still.

I entertained the thought of trading Gibson for quality pieces given the hope of drafting Askarov. But then i'm greeted with people who insist that Gibson cannot bring in a reasonable return. Does he not have the most value of anyone on our team?

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas

Totally fair.

I think you said it well. The team in its current form will tank regardless of outside influence. The "wait and see" approach GMBM took last season (he made only one trade-- Gudbranson--between the start of the season and the trade deadline) should be maintained going into this season. Don't sign any notable UFAs (news of Backes returning next season as a regular player makes me think we won't be in the market for depth forwards). Don't go out of your way to make mid-season, player for player trades. Give the team its fair shake and if it plays out as I and many others suspect, look to capitalize on guys like Manson/Gudbranson, Rakell, Silfverberg, Henrique, Backes/Rowney. Not everyone, but enough to send a message and identify a core group going forward.

Doing nothing of significance between the 2020 draft and the 2021 draft wouldn't be a bad course of action.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I entertained the thought of trading Gibson for quality pieces given the hope of drafting Askarov. But then i'm greeted with people who insist that Gibson cannot bring in a reasonable return. Does he not have the most value of anyone on our team?

goalies never return the value they should. Now, Gibson might because he’s on a steal of a deal, but he’s also coming off a pretty bad year. He’s the most valuable player to our team but I’m not sure he brings the most valuable return. Don’t forget that the goalie market is also stocked right now.

If you’re saying trade Gibson, that at least makes sense for the “tank! Tank! Tank!” crowd. Now I will say I don’t agree with trading Gibson. To assume a prospect will reach his level is a mistake, even a highly coveted one. Either way though, you trade him for futures; you’re basically telling the fans and owners it’s going to be 5-7 years before we’re competitive again. Regardless of your or my opinion, that isn’t happening.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
As it stands they're going to "tank" naturally. What people like myself don't want is for Bob to make marginal upgrades that some people are advocating for that would do nothing but move the lever towards mediocrity. Or making a lateral move like Rakell for Domi. The objective should not be to make tangible upgrades to the roster until you actually know what you have in your young players and know what you need around them. BTW I'm not saying not to go get a 4C. I'm saying don't trade Rakell and Manson for Nylander. Or Zegras++ for Laine. If you get great offers for Rakell or Manson you take them, but you hang on to Gibson/Lindholm/Fowler/Silf.

that makes sense, and I guess I’d say I agree to a certain extent. I don’t think we are in a spot to give up a ton of assets but I don’t mind giving up players for players who are signed longer that fit our window better. So I wouldn’t do Rakell + Manson for Nylander, but I’d consider Nylander in the right deal. He’s got 4 years left on his deal. I’d like to think we could be competing for a playoff spot in 2-3 years. I wouldn’t trade for Laine simply because we’d have to give up way too much.

I get what you’re saying though. To me that logic is more “stay the course” which I agree with. I just don’t agree with those saying sell off more than we already have. The reality is if you’re picking in the top 5, that’s about as much as you can expect due to lottery rules. We’ve had 2 top 10 picks in a row and 4 1sts in 2 years (assuming we don’t trade the latter before we select). We are retooling/rebuilding. You aren’t getting top pick without luck and only way to strongly increase those odds are dealing Gibby, which I’m not in favor of. I’d trade Rakell for the right deal, but I’d consider adding a vet winger in free agency if we do. We need some vets to surround these young guys.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
As has been stated previously, next season is the year to tank. Consider the following:
1) The team is trending downwards with no reason to think otherwise. The Ducks finished as the fifth worst team and will likely finish just as poorly again next season.

Others have already mentioned the Ducks don't need to tank if there isn't enough talent to win.

When Murray took over as interim head coach in 2018-19 season, he was able to turn the ship around and improved the Ducks' record to almost having a slim shot at the playoffs.

But that tanking attitude was what did occur last season, which GM Murray admitted, but he didn't want to get involved this time around like he did in 2018-19 as an interim head coach. Upon retrospect, Sutter was hired as the liason between head coach Eakins and GM Murray, so that Murray doesn't get involved with the team. Murray did this to shield Eakins from any media scrutiny, but Murray admitted that was a mistake and his team argued with him over it. It was costly. No good deed goes unpunished. It won't happen going forward, Murray will be involved.

The team was trending down and there are many variables. I've cited one above for the 2019-20 season. Injuries are another factor, a significant one.

2018-19
Man-games lost plot for 2018-19: link
That's a lot of injuries on that plot chart. To give more context, here's a Nov 20, 2018 ESPN article excerpt, where the Ducks ranked 1st for injury concerns:

Tier 1: The panic room

i

Anaheim Ducks

Who's hurt: LW Max Comtois (lower-body injury), RW Patrick Eaves (upper-body injury), D Cam Fowler (surgery for facial fractures), D Korbinian Holzer (wrist), D Hampus Lindholm (lower-body) RW Corey Perry (torn MCL and meniscus injury), RW Carter Rowney (upper-body)

Will this derail the season?
Yes. A team that was ravaged by injuries in 2017-18 hasn't been able to find its footing this season because of similar issues. The Perry injury, which occurred just before the season, was a brutal blow, and he's likely out until March. The injury bug bit the forward group especially hard; Ondrej Kase didn't make his season debut until last week. That tested the team's depth and forced Randy Carlyle to field a patchwork roster many nights. The 19-year-old Comtois, a bright spot, burned the first season of his entry-level contract ... before sustaining a lower-body injury. Now the team is without one of its best defensemen, Fowler, for an extended period. The window on the big three (Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler) might just close with a whimper.​

2019-20
Man-game lost plot for 2019-20: link
We lost Guhle, Manson, and Lindholm early in the season. Traded for Gudz early in the season. At the end of the season, we lost Gudz, Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson. Forwards, Ritchie, Rakell, Silf, Terry, and Grant all fell to injury within the same window.

From the ESPN article, we know the Ducks have been hit with massive injuries for the past three years: 2017-18, 2018-19, and 2019-20. We didn't have proper depth in the last two seasons to withstand the injury bug. Going into 2020-21 season, we have better depth on defense and forward. The unknown here is who will be the backup goalie? Better depth is the only way to absorb mass injuries. Of course, being healthy is a way to avoid mass injuries, but we're not that lucky.

That's why I have a more positive outlook for the team. We're a lot better off now on the blue line going into 2020-21 than when we started last year with the additions of Gudz and Djoos alone, but we also added Curran. Our forward group swapped a few players and Zegras may be available either to start or be called up for the Ducks. Of those swapped players, Heinen fits this 200ft team game with the Ducks and makes another line have a defensively responsible forward on it as Silf mans one and our fourth line does it too.

We gotta be healthy. That will be step 1. Last year, we started off hot with a 9-6-0 record. Then we lost Manson and Lindholm together. The team couldn't recover. Things did perk up after the trade deadline with the new additions while usually missing Gudz, Lindholm, and Fowler at the same time. We lost Manson for a couple games within that same span of missing defensemen. LoL If we're healthy, then we have a better chance at a playoff run.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
I'd make that deal as well. I think our D is pretty set with or without Guhle, and there will need to be a decision between him and Larsson in the near future regardless.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I actually like the idea of letting guhle and larsson fight it out. Competition is healthy.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Others have already mentioned the Ducks don't need to tank if there isn't enough talent to win.

When Murray took over as interim head coach in 2018-19 season, he was able to turn the ship around and improved the Ducks' record to almost having a slim shot at the playoffs.

But that tanking attitude was what did occur last season, which GM Murray admitted, but he didn't want to get involved this time around like he did in 2018-19 as an interim head coach. Upon retrospect, Sutter was hired as the liason between head coach Eakins and GM Murray, so that Murray doesn't get involved with the team. Murray did this to shield Eakins from any media scrutiny, but Murray admitted that was a mistake and his team argued with him over it. It was costly. No good deed goes unpunished. It won't happen going forward, Murray will be involved.

The team was trending down and there are many variables. I've cited one above for the 2019-20 season. Injuries are another factor, a significant one.

2018-19
Man-games lost plot for 2018-19: link
That's a lot of injuries on that plot chart. To give more context, here's a Nov 20, 2018 ESPN article excerpt, where the Ducks ranked 1st for injury concerns:

Tier 1: The panic room

i

Anaheim Ducks

Who's hurt: LW Max Comtois (lower-body injury), RW Patrick Eaves (upper-body injury), D Cam Fowler (surgery for facial fractures), D Korbinian Holzer (wrist), D Hampus Lindholm (lower-body) RW Corey Perry (torn MCL and meniscus injury), RW Carter Rowney (upper-body)

Will this derail the season?
Yes. A team that was ravaged by injuries in 2017-18 hasn't been able to find its footing this season because of similar issues. The Perry injury, which occurred just before the season, was a brutal blow, and he's likely out until March. The injury bug bit the forward group especially hard; Ondrej Kase didn't make his season debut until last week. That tested the team's depth and forced Randy Carlyle to field a patchwork roster many nights. The 19-year-old Comtois, a bright spot, burned the first season of his entry-level contract ... before sustaining a lower-body injury. Now the team is without one of its best defensemen, Fowler, for an extended period. The window on the big three (Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Ryan Kesler) might just close with a whimper.​

2019-20
Man-game lost plot for 2019-20: link
We lost Guhle, Manson, and Lindholm early in the season. Traded for Gudz early in the season. At the end of the season, we lost Gudz, Fowler, Lindholm, and Manson. Forwards, Ritchie, Rakell, Silf, Terry, and Grant all fell to injury within the same window.

From the ESPN article, we know the Ducks have been hit with massive injuries for the past three years: 2017-18, 2018-19, and 2019-20. We didn't have proper depth in the last two seasons to withstand the injury bug. Going into 2020-21 season, we have better depth on defense and forward. The unknown here is who will be the backup goalie? Better depth is the only way to absorb mass injuries. Of course, being healthy is a way to avoid mass injuries, but we're not that lucky.

That's why I have a more positive outlook for the team. We're a lot better off now on the blue line going into 2020-21 than when we started last year with the additions of Gudz and Djoos alone, but we also added Curran. Our forward group swapped a few players and Zegras may be available either to start or be called up for the Ducks. Of those swapped players, Heinen fits this 200ft team game with the Ducks and makes another line have a defensively responsible forward on it as Silf mans one and our fourth line does it too.

We gotta be healthy. That will be step 1. Last year, we started off hot with a 9-6-0 record. Then we lost Manson and Lindholm together. The team couldn't recover. Things did perk up after the trade deadline with the new additions while usually missing Gudz, Lindholm, and Fowler at the same time. We lost Manson for a couple games within that same span of missing defensemen. LoL If we're healthy, then we have a better chance at a playoff run.

Hopefully the one good thing that comes out of the quarantine/shut down is that all of the guys that got hurt have most of a year to recover. If training camp starts in November for a December start, that would be 8 months+ if they missed any time at the end of the season.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Article in the Athletic about potential D targets for Toronto.

Who says no? Maple Leafs trade hypotheticals for a defenceman

The trade:

• Leafs acquire defenceman Josh Manson, forward Danton Heinen
  • Anaheim Ducks acquire forward Alex Kerfoot, Leafs first-round pick in 2020

This is my favorite part:

Anonymous scout’s take: I would do it for sure because that’s that right defenceman who is a good player for you on the back end and who’s hard to play against.
Well, that's just great. The Leafs should definitely make this trade because they could use Manson, not taking into consideration why the Ducks wouldn't, and shouldn't, do it. There is more analysis by the writer and by Eric Stephens, who defends the Ducks position. But this scout's quote is typical. The league doesn't exist solely to help the Leafs.

Reactions: Paul4587 and Gappe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad