2020 Offseason Thread Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Aren't writers allowed to say anything positive about the Flyers anymore? Hayes had a good first season and has really improved this team. Why not mention it?
If all the writers showed the same attitude as some posters here their output would be absolutely miserable and they all would be out of their jobs quickly.

They just can say nice things about the hive favorites, but should not be presumptuous enough to praise Hayes, et al, who obviously sucked and contributed nothing to the team's success last season.

As we know, AV and Fletcher suck, and the Flyers only made the playoffs b/c Giroux, Voracek, Couts, TK, Sanheim and Ghost had career years. They carried the rest of the team.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Sigh. You know sometimes I wonder. Busting my own ass, working (just for a recent example) - 72 hours in 8 days. For this kind of attitude. It wouldn’t be allowed but I’d love to give a grand tour, not for 5 minutes - but a whole shift in one of my ICU’s.

This isn’t even the thread for this BS, but I don’t give a f***. Your attitude, of economy first and healthcare be damned - is the exact reason these measures need to be in place. These healthcare systems have no space for this kind of influx. It’s about ensuring you have a half alive individual left to operate the ventilator you may need.

Don’t like the restrictions? Nobody does. Blame those who built this house of cards to begin with.
What “kind of attitude”? Not believing in a monomaniacal fixation on one virus, which poses a minimal risk to the vast majority of the population, to the exclusion of all other health concerns?

Recognizing that strict, widespread lockdowns have a host of dangerous ancillary effects, including starvation, suicide, depression, substance abuse, child abuse, spousal abuse, divorce, bankruptcy, lost jobs & businesses, undiagnosed or delayed diagnosed illnesses, such as cancer & heart disease, that will result in death but could have been avoided if diagnosed earlier? A generation of children set behind educationally & losing important socialization & activities?

Fine. Then label me guilty.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Sigh. You know sometimes I wonder. Busting my own ass, working (just for a recent example) - 72 hours in 8 days. For this kind of attitude. It wouldn’t be allowed but I’d love to give a grand tour, not for 5 minutes - but a whole shift in one of my ICU’s.

This isn’t even the thread for this BS, but I don’t give a f***. Your attitude, of economy first and healthcare be damned - is the exact reason these measures need to be in place. These healthcare systems have no space for this kind of influx. It’s about ensuring you have a half alive individual left to operate the ventilator you may need.

Don’t like the restrictions? Nobody does. Blame those who built this house of cards to begin with.

It's not even economy first. It's mere political side-taking. If his side had gone whole hog on lockdowns and masks, dude would be the preeminent advocate of lockdowns and masks.

Concerns about lockdowns and masks, their effectives or ineffectiveness, negative consequences, etc. are all warranted. We're all concerned about these things, but there's a way to do that without this idiotic downplaying of the worst global health crisis in a century. There are other forum members of a similar disposition who have expressed those points of view without downplaying anything, or without actively being combative with people who are literally on the front lines.

I've done my best to let it starve but it's getting difficult. As people know, I'm about to lose a family member to Covid. One major reason I've been so open about it is to try to make this less abstract for people who haven't been touched by it or refuse to recognize the severity of this pandemic. Today I just learned that two colleagues have lost family members, a grandfather & an uncle, respectively. One of my daughter's friends lost his grandfather. An old high school friend lost his father. A friend and former colleague lost her grandmother. All those lives were lost in not even a year. In all of my 40+ years on the planet, I've known one person who died of the flu, and he was a middle aged small business owner with a compromised immune system who couldn't afford health insurance. Dude can f*** right the hell off with his continual downplaying of this pandemic as no worse than the flu.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Their TV deal ends in a year. They are going to wreck their ability to cash in. Between the lockouts and cancelling this season, TV networks will have every scrap of leverage. The NHL cannot say they are a reliable product. They routinely miss seasons. They aren't doing any network any favor by favoring them in any way. Networks are doing the league a favor by airing them.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Players can't afford to play hard ball either, how many franchises might just fold instead of losing $100+ million?
If say 5 teams go belly up, that's 100 plus jobs which means free agents won't see a decent contract for years to come.
A combination of a flat cap and 100 starter caliber players whose contracts have been cancelled in bankruptcy court hitting the open market is not something the players want to see.

Both sides have a vested interest in making this work.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
I get it from both sides.

The owners: yeah, these guys are rich as shit and none of them are gonna be homeless but they stand to lose 10s of millions per team and without more concessions, some teams will go under.

The players: they have a limited shelf life and most will play only 5-6 years or less and make less than 10 million for their entire career which, after taxes and agents is often cut in half or less. They don’t want to give up money that was fairly agreed to and that they might never get back.

Both sides need to find the middle ground. Players are going to have to give up more, and accept the fact that the NHL is still a gate driven league that is playing to empty buildings. Owners need to suck it up a bit and realize that the players can only give so much and that they are going to have survive the losses. If that means a team like Florida or Arizona has to relocate, so be it. Or if a guy like Melnyk has to sell his team (Sens fans will rejoice) so be it.

Both sides have to realize that they are not the NFL and they aren’t going to survive on TV money and merch revenue. Figure it out guys!

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I don't understand the players.

I hate the argument that "owners are rich anyway". They didn't get there by running failing business's.

If you are going to lose 20-30-40 million dollars or more by playing a season, then the only feasible method of continuing is to cut the biggest outlay. Players salaries.

Hell the players could defer 50% of their salaries as a loan to the owners to be repaid over the next 5 years. But as per norm, they bitch and moan that they are being forced to take cuts.

Other sportsmen and women have lost their jobs entirely. Its time for people to wake up and realise that a global pandemic has hit pretty bloody hard across the board.

Put your big boy pants on, sit round a table and work something out.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't understand the players.

I hate the argument that "owners are rich anyway". They didn't get there by running failing business's.

If you are going to lose 20-30-40 million dollars or more by playing a season, then the only feasible method of continuing is to cut the biggest outlay. Players salaries.

Hell the players could defer 50% of their salaries as a loan to the owners to be repaid over the next 5 years. But as per norm, they bitch and moan that they are being forced to take cuts.

Other sportsmen and women have lost their jobs entirely. Its time for people to wake up and realise that a global pandemic has hit pretty bloody hard across the board.

Put your big boy pants on, sit round a table and work something out.

In this situation though a new CBA and return to play agreement was just signed THIS SUMMER. Where the players effectively took a cut due to corona... and took on more of an effective cut than owners. No-one forced the owners to make that deal. Force majeure really will have a hard time being induced. This was foreseeable.

They already sat round a table and worked it out. But now they want even more from the players.

From a legal perspective here the owners are on the back foot. And should be. If this goes to court it is likely it will - for pretty much the first time ever - be decided in the players favour.

Negotiations have to go two ways. It is not on one side to cede every time. Or your position becomes untenable.

Me and you are closer in salary to the average NHL player than the players are to the average owner as well. Not that that means anything really...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The single season loss is going to be dwarfed by the amount of money they lose on their next TV deal when the networks bend them over a barrel for routinely missing humongous chunks of seasons over labor fights.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Isn’t anyone else excited that our top 5/6 Dmen in the next coming years could potentially be:

Provorov - York
Sanheim - Myers
Zamula - X

That’s crazy good that Zamula (with the way he is trending) could be a #5
Flip York and big Z.

Reactions: PDX Flyer

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry to say, but owners of things have high risk high reward. Players are you employees. Ask them to take a cut. If they say no then pay them. If you can’t, then fold. The closer you are to actually folding the more the employee has motivation to take cuts. I work for a big hospital system and didn’t see a huge issue with taking a cut this year and next year. There just isn’t money to pay the employees but there will be next year so just keep things going and be on the same team. I also have confidence in the transparency and what has been told to us. Which may be wrong on my end or not the same for the NHL players.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sorry to say, but owners of things have high risk high reward. Players are you employees. Ask them to take a cut. If they say no then pay them. If you can’t, then fold. The closer you are to actually folding the more the employee has motivation to take cuts. I work for a big hospital system and didn’t see a huge issue with taking a cut this year and next year. There just isn’t money to pay the employees but there will be next year so just keep things going and be on the same team. I also have confidence in the transparency and what has been told to us. Which may be wrong on my end or not the same for the NHL players.

I'd be more open to this if the owners did much of anything on their own end to become more financially efficient. But they don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad