Speculation: 2020 off season roster musings

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
The trade list only needs to be in the 1st year to facilitate the trade.

If one were to read into Friedman's comments, and one were to believe in the conspiracy that there's been significant tampering going on (which I do), it may be that Pietrangelo already knows exactly what teams are offering him.

Nothing would surprise me at this point, including a gigantic 9.5m deal from our friends at Newport (who got Karlsson, Skinner and of course Stone their huge deals), Lehner walking, keeping MAF and getting a young goalie.

I don't know if Dubas would go above 7.5m for Petro, and he really shouldn't IMO, but the teams Vegas is competing with are probably Calgary and Colorado. I think Calgary would go as high as 10.5m.
If he knows it's tampering

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
Tampering runs rampant throughout sports. How else do you think deals get done the second free agency starts? Unless people are really stupid it's practically impossible to prove though.
If they get caught they won't like what will happen if cost the blues scott stevens

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
After today's trade, VGK have 36 players under contract (including 3 ELS slidable deals), 7 pending RFAs (5 with arbitration rights), 8 pending UFAs.

HSK has 3 players signed.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Hmm. With teams not able to talk to players before anymore that probably limits the amounts of trades at the draft. Less likely to make them if you don't know you have another player lined up.

Dreger notwithstanding, lots of players and GMs could be waiting for someone else to set the market.

A few teams are cutting salary (Senators, Coyotes), and some are maxing out (Sharks, Rangers, Maple Leafs, etc. -- that are like those franchises that seem to print $$ or have a well heeled owner).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really don't want this team's market identity to become massive shakeup in the name of big name acquisitions.

Yeah getting Pietrangelo would be a massive get but I worry about the cap dumps that would require. To say nothing of the fact that the team's biggest problem remains that they are too offensively predictable against good teams.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Interesting article. Most notably mentioning how Cousins could get a contract somewhat similar to Stephenson. If that's the case, I sure hope its from another franchise. All the bad signs are there, talking about how the coach likes him even though he doesn't produce much. Coach's pets are always a real issue, I sure hope that's not the case. Surely there are prospects or veteran free agents for under $1m who can produce at similar levels.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If the Rangers can buyout Lundqvist, the Knights can buyout Fleury.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
If the Rangers can buyout Lundqvist, the Knights can buyout Fleury.

Hank only has one year left on his contract (two years of buyout $$ against cap). Fleury has two years left (four years of buyout $$s against cap).

My guess is that VGK would like to find a trading partner to take some of the contract rather than stricting buying him out (only 2 years of pain, not 4).

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Granger put his list of free agents Vegas might look at.

Usual suspects were there in Pietrangelo, Barrie (barf) and Dillon on defense.

List includes, surprisingly, Thornton and Galchenyuk as cheap possibilities for forward to take a flyer on. Among others.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast

List includes, surprisingly, Thornton and Galchenyuk as cheap possibilities for forward to take a flyer on. Among others.

Our beat writers are really bad. Didn't think it was possible but Granger is approaching sinbin levels of awful content lately.

Thornton & Galchenyuk on a team that's supposed to compete for the Cup? Both of those guys will be lucky to be in the NHL next season. Joe Thornton would've been a great pickup for this team 5 years ago...but has Jesse seen him skate recently? He would never be able to keep up with the fast paced transition game the Knights play. Galchenyuk is just laughable...unless he was talking about adding him as depth for the Wolves.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

I don't see Patches & Galchenyuk getting along so that's probably a no go...and why would they be taking a flier on these 3rd line winger retreads that will be looking for 1-2m?

Grandpa ZZtop is too slow. If they move Stastny they need to get back to being a speedy team up and down the lineup. If Wennberg gets bought out he'd be perfect.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Our beat writers are really bad. Didn't think it was possible but Granger is approaching sinbin levels of awful content lately.

Thornton & Galchenyuk on a team that's supposed to compete for the Cup? Both of those guys will be lucky to be in the NHL next season. Joe Thornton would've been a great pickup for this team 5 years ago...but has Jesse seen him skate recently? He would never be able to keep up with the fast paced transition game the Knights play. Galchenyuk is just laughable...unless he was talking about adding him as depth for the Wolves.

To be fairer to him Simmonds and Leivo were there too. Didn't have Haula, surprising as I think he would be cheaper if they offered and knows the team and organization.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Over 7x7?!
I was thinking somewhere south of 5m for 1 year.

I was shocked at that number. Surprised not to see DeMelo, I understand Dillon is the better option (and would be perfect if RHD) but the Capitals have made noise about signing him I thought.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I was shocked at that number. Surprised not to see DeMelo, I understand Dillon is the better option (and would be perfect if RHD) but the Capitals have made noise about signing him I thought.

No need to pay over 2-3m for DeMelo with Whitecloud looking as good as he does. For the same money they could maybe get an offensive Dman like Montour.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I don't see Patches & Galchenyuk getting along so that's probably a no go...and why would they be taking a flier on these 3rd line winger retreads that will be looking for 1-2m?

Grandpa ZZtop is too slow. If they move Stastny they need to get back to being a speedy team up and down the lineup. If Wennberg gets bought out he'd be perfect.
Imagine them buying out Wennberg, we sign him, and he gets back to his old form. Not sure how Jackets fans would react.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Hey Ducks fan coming in peace.

Is Vegas going to look to dump Stastny to make a splash in FA? I think he would be a good fit for the Ducks if so and just wondering what a deal would look like.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Hey Ducks fan coming in peace.

Is Vegas going to look to dump Stastny to make a splash in FA? I think he would be a good fit for the Ducks if so and just wondering what a deal would look like.

If Vegas has Petro lined up I think they'd shoot for a 2nd but settle for a 3rd.

If they don't have a Petro commitment they should probably just keep him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Paywall. Crosby, eh?

quentin-tarantino-golden-globes-2013.gif

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013

I see a buyout coming.

It would be a giant mistake to have both Fleury and Lehner on the roster next season. Spending 12 million on goalies is not a good idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad