Speculation: 2020 off season roster musings

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Pretty similar to the lines I like, I might put it back to the Gallant era first two lines and have Glass between Tuch and Stephenson. For whatever reason Wild Bill just doesn't produce enough partnering with Stone and Patches, hoping he can find his scoring touch with his old partners provided Marchy isn't traded. I don't know what PDB saw that made him think the new combos made more sense.
Well, because they did everything but score. They were dominant in every category except, well, scoring(they were still 6GF, 3GA, so not a net negative or anything, and while having A LOT of more high danger chances than the other team, they only won the high danger goals by 4-3).

Lets remember however that Bill was on fire before his injury, and Patches had a great season up until the break. Both could probably use a new regular season.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Cody made of Glass needs to stay healthy. Trade Marchy and you have Tuch in the top 6 where he should be playing although he has his own injury issues also. Trade Stastny and Glass gets hurt and you have a giant hole at 2C with nothing further down the line up or in the system to replace it.

Nobody has a system that can withstand a top six C getting injured. You just make it happen and soldier on.

Besides, Stastny this year is not a high bar for Glass, Stephenson or Roy to get over as far as what we'd need to replace.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Well, because they did everything but score. They were dominant in every category except, well, scoring(they were still 6GF, 3GA, so not a net negative or anything, and while having A LOT of more high danger chances than the other team, they only won the high danger goals by 4-3).

Lets remember however that Bill was on fire before his injury, and Patches had a great season up until the break. Both could probably use a new regular season.

I don't question his contribution, I just question if trying to load up to have a no doubt about it first line makes sense. To have two #1 lines in effect was a great feature and now it seems like PDB doesn't like that so here's his reason to be a head coach. Besides, I think most of us who look at the stats side know the real issue that they did solve was sending Eakin on his way. Sadly they couldn't trade him to KHL because he might score there and wouldn't be a threat to return at any price.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Even in pandemic times and flat cap he's way out of our league pricewise. If he tests the market then almost no question someone offers him Stone's AAV, possibly more.

Did you listen to that bit from Rutherford? Or read anything he's written? The Blues latest offer was 7.7 AAV. Petro is asking for "less than Josi" and Rutherford expects he'll slot in around the 8.5 range.

The Knights could make it work just moving Stastny and Fleury out. Although I'd personally move Marchie too for a little added flexibility to tinker with the top 9 forwards.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Even in pandemic times and flat cap he's way out of our league pricewise. If he tests the market then almost no question someone offers him Stone's AAV, possibly more.

Yeah. That might be Vegas. I think they have to do 9.25mx7 to get him to sign if Toronto is offering mostly bonuses or he's looking for more than 60 million.

Reading between the lines he wants stoppage-proof bonuses, and that's a big part of his frustrations with the Blues. Not just the 8-8.5m number.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I am not holding my breath for a Petro signing. Just don't think it happens.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Yeah. That might be Vegas. I think they have to do 9.25mx7 to get him to sign if Toronto is offering mostly bonuses or he's looking for more than 60 million.

Reading between the lines he wants stoppage-proof bonuses, and that's a big part of his frustrations with the Blues. Not just the 8-8.5m number.

I think it's going to all come down to the bonus money. Whichever of TOR/VGK/STL is willing to do max term, 8.5 AAV and max signing bonus with a NMC will get him. Toronto will definitely offer the most signing bonus money, but the problem there is I don't see how they clear enough cap without moving Nylander and I"m not sure they even want to do that. The bonus money isn't even in case of a work stoppage as they just recently extended the CBA. The reason it's so important is that signing bonus money doesn't go through escrow if revenues are low which they will be for the forseeable future.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It will most likely be between the Leafs or the Blues.

Would like to sign him, but i just don't see it.

He is pretty much from Toronto and they absolutely have a use for him.

Hoping I'm wrong though.

Last edited:

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
It will most likely be between the Leafs or the Blues.

Would like to sign him, but i just don't see it.

He is pretty much from Toronto and they absolutely have a use for him.

Hoping I'm wrong though.

I think it's been far too much disrespect from the Blues at this point. That ship has sailed. I do agree that Petro would probably prefer Toronto. The problem is unless they decide to move Nylander/Marner they are not winning even with Petro. They would have nothing and I mean NOTHING in their bottom 6 or in net. Whereas for us it's pretty obvious Stastny would be the guy to move and should be easily movable.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think it's been far too much disrespect from the Blues at this point. That ship has sailed. I do agree that Petro would probably prefer Toronto. The problem is unless they decide to move Nylander/Marner they are not winning even with Petro. They would have nothing and I mean NOTHING in their bottom 6 or in net. Whereas for us it's pretty obvious Stastny would be the guy to move and should be easily movable.

The question though is Foley going to be willing to spend all the money (signing bonuses included) that would be needed to get him.

I have not heard anywhere that Vegas is one of the teams that is going to implement a self cap, but who really knows.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
The question though is Foley going to be willing to spend all the money (signing bonuses included) that would be needed to get him.

I have not heard anywhere that Vegas is one of the teams that is going to implement a self cap, but who really knows.

That is the real question, but Foley has shown with his actions up until this point that he wants to win ASAP. If GMKM and GMGM say Petro gives us a much better chance I think Foley will pay up.

Zero chance of a self imposed cap though. They would get crucified if they shipped out big money forwards and did nothing to improve.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Did you listen to that bit from Rutherford? Or read anything he's written? The Blues latest offer was 7.7 AAV. Petro is asking for "less than Josi" and Rutherford expects he'll slot in around the 8.5 range.

The Knights could make it work just moving Stastny and Fleury out. Although I'd personally move Marchie too for a little added flexibility to tinker with the top 9 forwards.

Fleury and Stastny/Marchessault and McNabb help make the room.

Some other players might make it tight but we can do it.

There's teams going ten million under the cap though so I worry about trading Fleury and Stastny. Whether we will find teams.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That is the real question, but Foley has shown with his actions up until this point that he wants to win ASAP. If GMKM and GMGM say Petro gives us a much better chance I think Foley will pay up.

Zero chance of a self imposed cap though. They would get crucified if they shipped out big money forwards and did nothing to improve.

They're already paying Stone 19m in bonuses the next 3 years, which is something McPhee stressed he wouldn't like to do.

Petro going East wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Trade Marchessault, Fleury, McNabb, Cousins get picks.

Sign Lehner, Stephenson, Nosek.

Retain 40% on Fleury.

Pacioretty-Glass-Stone
Smith-Karlsson-Tuch
Stephenson-Stastny-Roy
Carrier-Nosek-Reaves
Elvenes, Dugan, Brown, Quinney, Kolesar, etc.

Martinez-Theodore
Schmidt-DeMelo
Hague/Holden-Whitecloud
Coghlan, Bischoff, etc.

Lehner
Greiss/Mrazek/whatever

Stone probably gets the C but Theodore should. Smith, Schmidt, Pacioretty and Theodore can rotate A's.

Modify Deboer tactics to fit the team better with a sample of time he has had with the team. Fire Spott and change the power play.

Krebs and all prospects eligible go back to junior.

Pick 29, 68* (really 67), 91* (really 90), etc. and any 1st/2nd/3rd round picks accumulated in trades.

*Arizona forfeits pick 49.

I'm on board with most, if not all of this. Whomever runs our power play, Spott or Craig, needs to be relieved of those duties.

Unfortunately, I think Nosek is the odd man out. Him & Cousins are both UFAs, but reading the tea leaves, it seemed like PDB preferred Cousins. Not exactly clear why, as Cousins doesn't do anything well.

Would rather have Dillon than DeMelo, but I won't split hairs. Just curious (not that it really matters), but how much are we paying DeMelo & for how long?

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Amazing news. I hope this means Engo is back next season.

I think it means they let him know he wasn't going to get any playing time going forward & gave him the option to get on the ice with another team. His next role for the VGK will be in the front office, but he's played his last game for them.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I think it's going to all come down to the bonus money. Whichever of TOR/VGK/STL is willing to do max term, 8.5 AAV and max signing bonus with a NMC will get him. Toronto will definitely offer the most signing bonus money, but the problem there is I don't see how they clear enough cap without moving Nylander and I"m not sure they even want to do that. The bonus money isn't even in case of a work stoppage as they just recently extended the CBA. The reason it's so important is that signing bonus money doesn't go through escrow if revenues are low which they will be for the forseeable future.

Petro going to Toronto might be worth it just for the entertainment value of seeing that team implode again from becoming even more top heavy.

I think the Knights are probably in on him & they have an obvious tax advantage over the Leafs & the Blues, but I saw a tweet this morning that says he wants Josi money. At that point you have to say, thanks but no thanks.

$8.25M x 7 would be my max offer, but I'm not sure that gets it done. That deal is gonna look really bad in 4 years, so it all hinges on winning it all before it becomes an albatross.

Reactions: CupInSIX

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'm on board with most, if not all of this. Whomever runs our power play, Spott or Craig, needs to be relieved of those duties.

Unfortunately, I think Nosek is the odd man out. Him & Cousins are both UFAs, but reading the tea leaves, it seemed like PDB preferred Cousins. Not exactly clear why, as Cousins doesn't do anything well.

Would rather have Dillon than DeMelo, but I won't split hairs. Just curious (not that it really matters), but how much are we paying DeMelo & for how long?

It's probably still Craig. So that's 2 coaches Marchessault likes gone.

Cousins has arbitration rights and could get a 1 year 2.5m deal. They might move him for whatever they can get.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
It's probably still Craig. So that's 2 coaches Marchessault likes gone.

Cousins has arbitration rights and could get a 1 year 2.5m deal. They might move him for whatever they can get.

If he gets that you run fast and far, if we thought Reaves was overpaid, this would be egregious because he offers no such unique value.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

You really think he's leaving the Blues over less than a million a year? He hits FA and he's getting at least 20% more. Sure he'd love a long deal but with all the issues you get after 35 he might get higher AAV and shorter term. I could see a 5/50 deal or 6/55. Yeah not Josi money but he's older and he's been getting paid already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad